Yvsa - Does anyone remember him or can help.

Hello to all! Thank you for adding me to this forum. My grandad, Yvsa Gigagei, was an active member on this site. He 'walked west' in 2012. He left me many of his prized knifes that I will pass to my son and so on. I am trying to learn about the knives he left. Most of them are custom khukuri with very unique symbols and initials. If anyone knew him or can help please reach out to me. Thank you.

Your grandad Yvsa was an active member and customer of the Himalayan Imports sub-forum, or so I have come to understand. Those khukuries you that mention are likely from H.I. If you head over there and introduce yourself I'm sure you will receive a warm welcome!

If you have any obscure knives thay don't fit on a particular manufacturers/makers subforum here, and you want more info, head over to Bernard's knife identification forum, a lot of very educated members over there who can help tell you what you've got.

I hope your grandpappies journey has gone gloriously and full of great frutions! :D

Yvsa was indeed one of the original forumites on the H.I. SubForum also known as the H.I. Cantina at the times when Bill Martino (HI founder and a most remarkable gentleman) was alive.
One of their design a big bowie named Cherokee Rose (IIRC) was originally custom made for Yvsa after his design.

Hello to all! Thank you for adding me to this forum. My grandad, Yvsa Gigagei, was an active member on this site. He 'walked west' in 2012. He left me many of his prized knifes that I will pass to my son and so on. I am trying to learn about the knives he left. Most of them are custom khukuri with very unique symbols and initials. If anyone knew him or can help please reach out to me. Thank you.

Check the Hi forum archives. They go back to 2001. You will see posts by Yvsa there.

I truly appreciate the information!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those symbols and initials on the khukuries indicate who made them. As others have said, you'll find what you're looking for in the HI forum.

Your grandfather was a good man. He's still missed.

Sometimes you get hit by a brick. Hadn't thought of Yvsa in a while, and forgot he had passed. Now I'm sad all over again.

Hope you enjoy the journey of discovering the beauty of your Grandfather's collection. It is a precious gift to be able to share in his passion, and experience those things which he loved. A great way to feel close to him.

Back