Z-Tuff chopper

Starting this thread for a Z-Tuff chopper i am starting this week.
Specs.
0.325 inch stock (milled down from 0.520)
5.25 inch handle and forward choil
9 inch blade
Full convex grind.
58-59HRC from Peters HT.
The pic below is the original Camp Kaiju in Z-Finit (0.224" @60HRC) 7.3 inch blade

Last edited:
Love the simple profile and this is one interesting steel for sure. Pretty much a tougher version of CPM-3V type steel. Do you know Peters use high or low tempering on these one?

Love the simple profile and this is one interesting steel for sure. Pretty much a tougher version of CPM-3V type steel. Do you know Peters use high or low tempering on these one?

For whatever it's worth, I had two belt knives made from Z-tuff a while back. I ended up having the metal engineer from Zapp heat treat them, and he did it with the high temper and cryo. They came out 61-62. I consulted with him about a low temper, but he didn't feel it made any sense (and said it would take experimenting he couldn't do in order to get a good product). I also spoke with Roman Landes about it, and his honest response (summarizing) was if I want to use a low temper to increase toughness, why not just pick a steel that is naturally designed to be tough.

For whatever it's worth, I had two belt knives made from Z-tuff a while back. I ended up having the metal engineer from Zapp heat treat them, and he did it with the high temper and cryo. They came out 61-62. I consulted with him about a low temper, but he didn't feel it made any sense (and said it would take experimenting he couldn't do in order to get a good product). I also spoke with Roman Landes about it, and his honest response (summarizing) was if I want to use a low temper to increase toughness, why not just pick a steel that is naturally designed to be tough.

Because others steel in this range that designed to be tempering low doesn't have cool name like Z-Tuff :eek::D

Im not sure what they use on the Z-Tuff.
I will ask what they use for Ztuff. Or i may even call Zapp to see what they reccommend for this application.
The knife i posted was the first version, it was in Z-Finit stainless steel.

Very interesting, i will have to make sure i look into the high temper, i havent seen the HT data sheet yet but i will look it up.

Back