ZDP-189 - Best blade steel so far

But do be aware of it's "Achilles' Heel". ZDP-189 either because of it's extraordinarily high carbon content or because of it's extremely unique metallurgical properties is not very acid or corrosion resistant under certain environments. Be sure to rinse it with fresh water after using it on any food items.

Interesting. I was on the road for two years and often used my ZDP Caly3 CF for food prep chores. I never had a problem with it, but I was also very conscientious about washing before and after food use (it usually pulled double duty as EDC knife and food prep knife).

As to the overall conversation, I love my ZDP, S30V, and VG-10 blades equally. I spent some time over the holidays doing touch-ups on all my knives and the ZDP needed the most time to re-profile (SharpMaker diamond rods). Maybe I'm not a true believer blade snob, but I like all three equally. I tend to trust that Spyderco will put out good products at all price points. I doubt they'd want to be associated with crap metals. :)

Just got the dragonfly and its so sharp im afraid to look at it I dred sharpening if its how everyone says it is wonder if you could convex the edge

I first saw ZDP at the Blade Show in Atlanta in 2000. Two guys from Japan had a small table and had a few high end folders in the $450+ range with -3" blades. I can't remember, who these guys were, but they just stood there and cut cardboard over and over again and passed out the blades to let people try the knives. I never saw these blades even stropped and I was so jazzed by ZDP that when Spyderco came out with the Endura, I snagged one immediately. The chemistry of this steel content has Carbon = 3% and Chromium = 20%, this steel can be hardened up to the 67 Rc range. Not sure what the Spyderco Rc is.

I was very dissappointed by the OTB sharpness. This steel just laughed at anything, but diamond stones. I found the edge geometry to be way to thick behind the edge. I have several 8x3" diamond stones. I started with a
140 grit to try to thin out the area behind the edge for an area of about 1/8" approximately. This took a lot longer than I thought it would. I progressed up through 300, 600 and 1000 grits. I even took it up to a Chosera 2000 grit waterstone and a 4000 grit on a Shapton Japanese Waterstone and finishing on .5 micron Green chromium oxide leather strop. I found the steel to have a very brittle texture and the burr was bitch to get rid of, but I finally got the blade where I wanted it.

The way I test a knife's sharpness is not to shave arm hair or slice through paper, but rather do what I call a, 'push cut". My push cut consists of laying the knife edge on a piece of paper, i.e.: copy paper, and using no sawing motion and not changing the part of the knife on the paper at any time, I just push the edge area that I've chosen to test straight down. The knife starts out in direct contact on the paper, no starting 1/4" above. Just lay the edge on the paper and push. If you really want to test you knife's edge, try this with a piece of receipt paper. This test, I think separates sharpness from what can be a sharp burr that will shave arm hair and cut paper.

Anyway, the ZDP-189 was able to pass the test with flying colors. However, after a fairly short period of time and not doing anything crazy or out of the ordinary the edge started getting microchips and the edge began to flunk the push test. I'm not sure what the problem is with this steel. I freehand sharpen some pretty high tech steels, like the Hitachi White #2 and the Aogami Blue #2 and Aogami Super. Aogami Super can be hardened up to 65 Rc in my opinion ZDP can't compare to these other Hitachi, (as I'm sure everyone knows Hitachi makes ZDP-189). The only thing I can think of is that Spyderco blew the heat treatment or the one I got slipped through, but then the edge geometry was not right as well. I know Spyderco makes great knives and has good quality control, so I just don't think this is one of Hitachi's better steels. I'm willing to take the extra care a carbon steel knife requires, just like I am willing to wipe down a good rifle, as needed. I still really like W2, 1095, 52100 and the Hitachi White and their Blue Aogami series. These last Hitachi steels are usually found on high quality Japanese kitchen knives, but you can find them in San Mai configurations on higher end Japanese hunting knives, also. In fact, my next hunting knife will be Japanese Blue Steel fixed blade knife.

Last edited:
I am starting to put ZDP-189 as my favorite stainless. As long as I keep it touched up and not let the edge go too far, it is easy to maintain. Seems to cut forever. Now I still prefer carbon steels, but for a stainless....ZDP-189 is fantastic.

I am starting to put ZDP-189 as my favorite stainless. As long as I keep it touched up and not let the edge go too far, it is easy to maintain. Seems to cut forever. Now I still prefer carbon steels, but for a stainless....ZDP-189 is fantastic.

I have a few ZDP blades, really enjoy the steel but I have had to stop carrying my manbug on my keys (and my dfly ZDP while jogging/working out) cause of the rusting issues. I sweat a lot and who knows, maybe I'm extra corrosive, but ZDP-189 is one of the worst "stainless steels" as far as corrosion resistance, and not just a patina, actual pitting. For comparison I regularly carry D2 and/or M4 and have only had them develope a very slight patina one time each, far from rusting, my ZDP will pit within a day of not having oil re-applied before use.

And you see my location, not near salt water at all. Not trying to turn anyone away from ZDP, again I love the stuff, but I wouldn't ever hard use it (for rear of chipping) and it takes a ton of care. FWIW I have a few non-coated 1095 blades (including some kitchen knives) that don't rust as fast as my "stainless" ZDP-189 dragonfly does.

For a daily user it's perfect (learn how to sharpen and it's not anymore difficult than other hard steels). At 3% carbon and the way it is made, obviously it isn't an option around water, and certain climates, or even those who sweat a lot, but for me its up there with other high end steels for my uses. It takes a keen edge and stays razor sharp with just a stropping for up to months at a time. If you use ZDP for cutting and slicing like what knives do, you're in for a treat. I suppose the hard use people are talking about like going out to the woods well sure you'd be better served with a tougher steel.

Pro tip: Applying Flitz to blades and a coating sparingly with something like Ballistol will make steels like ZDP resistant to corrosion. I use on food, around water... no spotting, patina or darkening to speak off. Got a nice sheen on them and water beads off it like RainX does on windhields hehe, I wouldn't hesitate to bring my ZDP's along with me anywhere.

Like ZDP-189 and S90V but M390 is my best overall performer.

My experience is the same. I've found that ZDP-189 enjoys micro-chipping far too much.

One other form of dulling many people overlook is the formation of a very thin layer of oxide that forms on the edge over time and with use. This made my M4 knives completely dull if I just leave them about in a tropical environment for a week, though a strop does bring the edge back. This effect is going to be more pronounced when cutting foodstuff. On that note M390 is amazingly corrosion resistant :)

I love my zdp! But then again I only have experience with it on my Rockstead...

I have posted this information in other threads, but my experience with ZDP is very favorable. I took a William Henry B-15 Tom Brown Tracker on an extended bicycle trip in very hot humid weather. I put a pocket clip on the knife and carried it on the placket of my shirt. This happens to be an accelerated environmental corrosion tester.
The blade was a laminate construction with ZDP in the middle and 410 stainless on either side. Both materials developed surface rust which was easy to remove, but the 410 exhibited more corrosion than the ZDP. 410 is supposed to be noted for its resistance to corrosion.
I have experienced no edge chipping. My SiC and Al2O3 stones will sharpen ZDP just fine (SiC was developed for sharpening Tungsten Carbide). I have the diamond stuff but don't need it.

When you say 40 degrees I hope you mean 20 degrees per side.
I've not had to reprofile yet so all of my sharpening has been at the 40 deg setting on the Sharpmaker. When it gets time for a reprofile I'll go 30 deg with the diamonds. But that's a long way into the future as this steel holds a useable edge at least twice as long as anything else I've used. I'm impressed with this stuff.

It would be interesting to see how well ZDP would handle a pure 30 degree edge. May have to look in to that... :cool:

Back