Zero Tolerance 0920 - Just Not Right

I'm a Disabled Veteran living in the Philippines and have to come back to the States for medical treatment not available to me here. Major six hour spine surgery and a long recovery, but it's done and I'm finally back home.

Wanted an "America Made" knife for the longest and settled on a Zero Tolerance 0920 while in the States. Ordered from Knife Center a couple of weeks before being released to travel. I received the knife and on opening immediately noticed the pocket clip looked worn with a faded streak across it and the blade was rough. The blade edge shows serraratilns of rough sharpening on the face of the grind that just looked unfinished. It looked used!!! I immediately contacted Knife Center and got a dance around on how that is normal and I could send it back for a replacement. Since I was still using a walker and could not even drive I was encapable to send it back (staying in a rural area) and since the "Customer Service Manager" seemed she could care less I just kept it. I was out of time!

I love the design, overall build, blade shape (tough to sharpen with a recurve), size and scales. It locks up solid and fits the hand well. Very grippy feeling on the Ti scales.

The knife has not been used and hardly touched since I got home. I had it with me at a knife shop here a couple days ago and compared it to a Reate Epic. The Reate was hands down a far better finish and sharper blade. Remember this ZT 0920 has not been used! ZERO USE!

My conclusion is I will buy the Reate. I WILL NEVER buy from Knife Center again (There owner will not take calls from customers and his son does not return them even given a US number that reaches me here). Never buy a high end knife I cannot handle first.

It will cost me at least $60 to 70 dollars and at least a month SHIPPING time to return to ZT for them to sharpen, but think it needs to be done.

ARE ZT's blade edges so poorly finished? The edge would not even cut hair when I got it.

No intentions to bad mouth ZT. I think that Knife Center sent me a used blade that had been returned.

I appreciate all the unique designs ZT offers, reputation and like many of them. Just don't want to throw big bucks at something I can't inspect. Not is this a ZT bash!

Living 7,000 miles away doesn't help much and adds complexity and expenses to the process.

Is my experience unique?

It sounds like you definitely got a used model packaged up and sold to you as “new”.

It’s unfortunate that the retailer wasn’t able to resolve the issue for you as it seems they were in the best position to do so. Personally, I haven’t ever received a ZT that wasn’t top notch but that’s just me.

If it doesn't look like this it's not new.
s6nl9y.jpg

KOdF8WY.jpg

ZsmLdM6.jpg

That's what my clip and my edge looks like carried lightly around the house, didn't cut much with it. Looks still like the edge when I first got it new.

KOdF8WY.jpg

ZsmLdM6.jpg

That's what my clip and my edge looks like carried lightly around the house, didn't cut much with it. Looks still like the edge when I first got it new.
Thanks for the pics! My edge had dark black striations in it and was extremely rough. I did try stropping it, but it still won't shave hair, if that is an adequate and practical measurement of sharpness. The pocket clip on mine showed a loss of anodizing. Hmm! Live and learn. Appreciate you taking the time.

Thanks for the pics! My edge had dark black striations in it and was extremely rough. I did try stropping it, but it still won't shave hair, if that is an adequate and practical measurement of sharpness. The pocket clip on mine showed a loss of anodizing. Hmm! Live and learn. Appreciate you taking the time.
Sounds like you got a used one that was returned...

I don't get it. Knife Center offered to take the knife back, no questions asked, and send you a replacement; but you were unable to send it back? What is Knife Center supposed to do? Come get it?

Those are really tough circumstances for you, but I don't see what Knife Center was supposed to do.

Anyone can get a lemon and these knife stores sell knives by the zillions, and some come back for the most insignificant issues, driving up costs for the rest of us.

If you're a collector, I can see the issue. But if you are going to use the knife, it seems to be a small deal. There are some great knife makers in the Philippines. Maybe one of them could turn that edge into a cutting machine for you for not much money.

But, dang, hope your back is getting better. A bad back makes everything worse.

I don't get it. Knife Center offered to take the knife back, no questions asked, and send you a replacement; but you were unable to send it back? What is Knife Center supposed to do? Come get it?

Those are really tough circumstances for you, but I don't see what Knife Center was supposed to do.

Anyone can get a lemon and these knife stores sell knives by the zillions, and some come back for the most insignificant issues, driving up costs for the rest of us.

If you're a collector, I can see the issue. But if you are going to use the knife, it seems to be a small deal. There are some great knife makers in the Philippines. Maybe one of them could turn that edge into a cutting machine for you for not much money.

But, dang, hope your back is getting better. A bad back makes everything worse.

Well said. Man, someone has a bad experience and questions everyone and everything on one experience. It sucks to ever receive a bum product but its going to happen regardless of what it is.

I have received used knives from knife center. And so have others reported the same. I stopped buying from them a long long time ago. Just annoying.

I would recommend finding someone local to sharpen it. If not near by at least in the same country. Sending it back to zt will not be great cause they will just burn the edges on the grinders and probably make them more uneven grinds.

I'm sure someone in your country uses an edge pro, kme, wicked edge etc to sharpen it.

And reate knives are some of the best knives around and hard to beat the quality.

At least you'll know if you get a used Reate since they come in a sealed bag. Well, my K-2 and K-3 did.

The JACK had a different type bag. I don't think it was "used", I think they use a non-sealed bag now but I could be wrong on this.

Either way I feel Reate>ZT at least from the 3 Reates I own and the dozens of ZTs I have/had.

At least you'll know if you get a used Reate since they come in a sealed bag. Well, my K-2 and K-3 did.

The JACK had a different type bag. I don't think it was "used", I think they use a non-sealed bag now but I could be wrong on this.

Either way I feel Reate>ZT at least from the 3 Reates I own and the dozens of ZTs I have/had.
Reates are top notch but they're also more expensive completely across the board. We is more comparable.

Can't disagree there as on average my Reates cost me about 100 more than my ZTs.

If you can afford 250 dollar knives though you can afford 350 dollar knives so I still think they are comparable.

Sending it back to zt will not be great cause they will just burn the edges on the grinders and probably make them more uneven grinds.

My experience with KAI does not support this. I sent them two knives about two years ago as I was curious. One was a ZT 0900, I can’t remember the other.

While they didn’t come home with a custom mirror polish edge, they were even, unburnt, and sharp. I wasn’t amazed, but I was satisfied.

My experience with KAI does not support this. I sent them two knives about two years ago as I was curious. One was a ZT 0900, I can’t remember the other.

While they didn’t come home with a custom mirror polish edge, they were even, unburnt, and sharp. I wasn’t amazed, but I was satisfied.

While it may not have looked burnt, the edges will certainly be cooked. Pretty much all mass production will have this. See attached article below.

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/04/08/does-sharpening-with-a-grinder-ruin-your-edge/

Cut testers have also seen that with hand sharpening mass production knives... After the third or fourth sharpening will start to show much better performance.

Find a good sharpener, someone that will put a nice edge on with a stone and call it good.

Back