1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 4 of the BladeForums 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways is live!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Benchmade Limited Edition 319DLC-1801 Proper, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday January 26!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Matt "Charlie Mike" Freeman passed away unexpectedly last weekend. We have various threads posted in both the General & Community forums, please share your memories:

RIP Charlie Mike

A Go Fund Me has been started to help cover his funeral expenses: https://www.gofundme.com/cmftw-for-matt-f

Zero Tolerance ID Needed

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by KingWoodsman, Jan 12, 2019.

1. KingWoodsman

KingWoodsman

Jan 12, 2019
    I purchased a knife on an auction site recently that looks identical to a ZT 0121 but has tiger stripes and is missing any identifying marks. (I don’t even see remnants of markings in the usual places) The knife has been well used, as evident from the horrible attempt at an edge and the worn kydex sheath.

The auction site didn’t try to ID the knife, so there was no help there. I bought it based on the similarity to the ZT and didn’t pay much for it. Hoping I found a hidden gem and not a knockoff, but that’s the risk I took.

Is anyone aware of ZT doing a 0121 with tiger stripes? Or ZT making any blades without markings?

Any help would be appreciated.

Pics can be found here:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bslh9lJHrx2/

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  2. KingWoodsman

KingWoodsman

Jan 12, 2019
    Did I do something wrong when posting this? I'm surprised I haven't gotten any replies just to give opinions. I read through the posting guidelines and think I abided by them all.

Let me know if I need to do something different. I'm definitely just a new guy.

3. jnevill

jnevill

Mar 8, 2008
    Hey, no info on your knife, sorry, the reason you aren’t seeing a response is most of us are discussing a lost bladeforums member in another thread. Be patient, someone will chime in soon enough.

KingWoodsman likes this.
  4. nwmetalbug

nwmetalbug

Jun 10, 2012
    Not sure why its important to ID it put an edge on it and use it. If it takes an edge and holds it you found a deal.

5. sgt1372

sgt1372

Oct 16, 2018
    I'm no expert but from what I've seen of the knife online, both the knife and sheath look like they belong to a 0121 to me.

The company that did the tiger stripe work probably stripped all of the markings off of the blade in the process.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  6. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Contact Kershaw/ZT, they should be able to tell you.

7. Kaizen1

Kaizen1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I've never seen a. 0121 with tiger stripes. The shape and stripes look very ZT-like. Maybe it's an old prototype

8. KingWoodsman

KingWoodsman

Jan 12, 2019
    Yea, that was my thought too, but I’m surprised someone would have the laser engravings removed altogether just to stripe over them. Everything looks pretty identical to me, but I just can’t find any tiger striped 0121’s from the factory, which is throwing me off.

Thank you for the response!

9. KingWoodsman

KingWoodsman

Jan 12, 2019

Interesting thought there. Thanks for the response! That would explain the lack of engravings as well. I did some good digging around for a striped 0121 and could find one myself. I’ll have to reach out to ZT again. Tried to reach out to them first, but never got a response. That’s why I came this direction. I wanted a bit of validation that striped 0121’s aren’t out in the market generally. Much appreciated!

Kaizen1 likes this.
  10. KingWoodsman

KingWoodsman

Jan 12, 2019
    Tried them originally with no answer then came here. I’ll have to reach out again.

11. nwmetalbug

nwmetalbug

Jun 10, 2012
    Just a guess but someone probably took a 0121 and blasted the dlc to stripe it and that removed the markings

12. kniferbro

kniferbro

Jan 22, 2011
    One thing to consider is if the knife started out as a coated blade, surely it would have to be refinished before striping could be applied. Probably was blasted to get the coating off, which in turn removed the markings.

13. nwmetalbug

nwmetalbug

Jun 10, 2012
    Striping isnt applied it is simply done by removing a solid dlc .

kniferbro likes this.
  14. Filthyj24

Filthyj24 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 5, 2016
    I'm pretty sure it's a legit 121 that someone tried to express their artistic liberties on.

presz likes this.
  15. kniferbro

kniferbro

Jan 22, 2011
    Oh I thought it was a coating... Thanks for teaching me something :)

16. nwmetalbug

nwmetalbug

Jun 10, 2012
    Well I dont work for ZT so dont take my word for it but thats what it looks like they did to the ones I own just looking at them.