Zero Tolerance Liner Lock Closures?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I wasn't happy with a product and thought it was defective, I'd keep sending it back until it was right or I'd request a refund.

If folks think this is a larger problem that they want solved, even more reason to keep sending them back until they are right.

If folks don't care about ZT actually fixing this perceived large issue, then give up and move on to the many other brands and lock types.

I'm not sure what other venues customers can publicly address concerns to ZT, I don't do social media. Perhaps if folks are really concerned about this issue there might be other places to get a public response from ZT. None of my ZTs have this issue but if ZT didn't fix an issue I had, I'd be looking at putting public pressure on them in a venue they participated.

^THIS.

It's ridiculous that we have some saints jumping in once in a while and providing a brilliant suggestion: "Get a Fixed Blade!". For god's sake, read the thread first to see what the discussion is really about.:rolleyes:

Agreed. People who are telling others to "get a fixed blade" is not helpful or logical at all. It's similar to some people complaining about their contact lenses ripping too easily, and then having others jump in and telling them to get glasses, and their problems will be fixed.

Get a nice small fixed blade ,prob solved.
This answer is not helpful AT ALL! I see it mentioned almost everytime a problem comes up with a folding knife lock.
Not everyone can, wants to, or is willing to carry a small fixed blade, myself included. This is like saying everyone should drive pickup trucks to solve the not enough trunk space problem with cars. Not everyone wants to drive a pickup truck ya know.

Last edited:
The solution of getting using a fixed blade when one is expecting a folder to act like a fixed blade. However, that is not the problem being discussed in this thread which is what makes the suggestion of a fixed blade a totally inappropriate. The problem is not the use, it is a possibly poorly made lock that fails under light pressure.

Cold steel to the rescue?
Nah. There are plenty of other locks which are PLENTY strong and won't make your thumb sore just to close them a few times. And besides if the frame / liner lock is done properly they're strong enough for my uses. I've never had one close on me during use, but I'm not overly abusive to any of my knives.

Let's remember this isn't all ZT knives as some people seem to be thinking. I've seen lots of posts in here and myself included that own lots of ZTs with zero failures.

Yes there are some who are experiencing them and those who have sent them in, seem to be getting them fixed.

What more do you guys need ?
I think it's time to put this to bed...

Maybe, maybe not. I see this more as an issue with customer service. It seems a little hit or miss. I’ve had four Kai folders sent in with four failures to complete service.

I am interested in seeing if things improve over time.

Nah. There are plenty of other locks which are PLENTY strong and won't make your thumb sore just to close them a few times. And besides if the frame / liner lock is done properly they're strong enough for my uses. I've never had one close on me during use, but I'm not overly abusive to any of my knives.

Older CS were hard to close, the new ones much easier in fact about the same as any lockback.

This little story might be apropos (or at least of interest to the on-topic posters in this thread):

Jesse Jarosz was talking on his Instagram about how he has made many mistakes when grinding lock bevels and scrapped many blades as a result. Mike Reinhold jumped on and agreed that it was tedious work. So I asked Jesse, "Would it be safe to say that frame locks are simple in conception but challenging in execution? As a layperson it seems as if they are unforgiving in terms of getting the geometry right."

He responded, "that is absolutely the case."

Older CS were hard to close, the new ones much easier in fact about the same as any lockback.
Sadly that's not true. I have many Cold Steel knives (7 right now if my math is correct) all using the Tri-Ad lock, and I've had at least a dozen more in the past, and ease of closing and opening is all over the place. My Ultimate Hunter was a bit of a thumb breaker, but the Spartan was surprisingly easy. Recon 1 was easy to close but a bit stiff to open. Mini Lawman is stiff, but my Mini AK-47 is easy to open and close. American Lawman was stuff but a little lock bending made it able to he flicked open without wrist. My old AK-47 was able to be flicked open out of the box, and my medium Voyager broke in the be flickable, but my Tuff Lite is a bit of a thumb breaker too.

My Delicas, Enduras, and Stretch are kinda the same way. Completely all over the place in opening. I've had ones that are smooth out of the box and ones that are stiff like they didn't come oiled. Some that a cleaning made smoother and others that it somehow made worse. My HAP-40 Stretch came to me almost drop shutty when the lock was held and it's only gotten worse over time, despite cleaning when it gummed up a little.

Cold Steel in general has a much stiffer lockback, even my softest Cold Steel was firmer than any of my other properly made lockbacks (I've had a few that were junk knives that were worse, but that was obviously poor machining, not design).

Let's remember this isn't all ZT knives as some people seem to be thinking. I've seen lots of posts in here and myself included that own lots of ZTs with zero failures.

Yes there are some who are experiencing them and those who have sent them in, seem to be getting them fixed.

What more do you guys need ?
I think it's time to put this to bed...

Have you read the thread? People are saying they’re sending their knives and and ZT is NOT fixing them.

Sadly that's not true. I have many Cold Steel knives (7 right now if my math is correct) all using the Tri-Ad lock, and I've had at least a dozen more in the past, and ease of closing and opening is all over the place. My Ultimate Hunter was a bit of a thumb breaker, but the Spartan was surprisingly easy. Recon 1 was easy to close but a bit stiff to open. Mini Lawman is stiff, but my Mini AK-47 is easy to open and close. American Lawman was stuff but a little lock bending made it able to he flicked open without wrist. My old AK-47 was able to be flicked open out of the box, and my medium Voyager broke in the be flickable, but my Tuff Lite is a bit of a thumb breaker too.

My Delicas, Enduras, and Stretch are kinda the same way. Completely all over the place in opening. I've had ones that are smooth out of the box and ones that are stiff like they didn't come oiled. Some that a cleaning made smoother and others that it somehow made worse. My HAP-40 Stretch came to me almost drop shutty when the lock was held and it's only gotten worse over time, despite cleaning when it gummed up a little.

Cold Steel in general has a much stiffer lockback, even my softest Cold Steel was firmer than any of my other properly made lockbacks (I've had a few that were junk knives that were worse, but that was obviously poor machining, not design).

Only CS I had that was hard to depress the lock bar on was an older Recon 1. The new Recon 1 and Lawman, I have are easy to open and unlock.

I've had several Cold Steel Tri-ad lock knives that were unacceptably difficult to open and/or close until considerable "working-in" over time . Eventually, they all became perfectly functional and have stayed good for years .

Just bad QC on the lock function , IMO, not inherent to the design at all . Sad , because I understand why many customers would get turned against CS .

Once broken-in or if you get a properly finished one , the Tri-ad is very strong , trouble free , and even "self-adjusting" with wear to stay rock solid . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Or other makers. The issue being discussed is not lock strength, which is cold steel's claim to fame. A properly done frame/liner lock will have no problems during normal use. So no, cold steel is not more of an answer than any other well made knife.
If lock strength and reliability, even under "hard use" and abuse, is the main concern , then the Cold Steel Tri-ad lock is probably the BEST solution , overall . :):thumbsup:

Have you read the thread? People are saying they’re sending their knives and and ZT is NOT fixing them.

Yes I have read the thread and posted multiple times.
Everyone that has sent it in lately has had it fixed, have you read the thread?

In fact one of my earlier posts asked if their was anyone who sent their knife in and was denied having it fixed by ZT.
Only a couple posters mentioned sending theirs in and they got fixed.

Last edited:
If lock strength and reliability, even under "hard use" and abuse, is the main concern , then the Cold Steel Tri-ad lock is probably the BEST solution , overall . :):thumbsup:
And if you require the strength of the triad lock you shouldn't be using a folding knife.......which is not the point of this thread, and is in fact a discussion we were trying to get away from, so thanks for bringing it back :rolleyes:

This thread isn't about lock strength or fixed blades. It is about a specific problem from a specific company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back