Zimbabwe Trip Knife recommendations?

I just found out that I am going to be going to zimbabwe this summer for volunteer construction work. It is going to be really hard work and I want a shiny HI to accompany me on my journey. As I do research, I am finding that I will probably be encountering some badass fauna. Also I may be going on a safari near Victoria falls. I probably wouldn't want something too heavy but with enough heft to chop through some super hard wood. I'm thinking of a KLUK but something more in the 17" to 18" range. Has HI ever made one that size? I probably wouldn't want anything over 24-26 oz. It's funny how I use a trip to Africa as an excuse to get a new knife. Thoughts? Suggestions? Advice?

Not sure how the locals will react to a foreigner with a prominent big knife. Could easily be misread as a self confidence issue or they'll start calling you Rambo. I'd keep the thing well hidden away in a pack if I thought I really needed one. There is lots you can do with a good folder or regular fixed blade and it would not intimidate the folks you're working with either. By my thinking a SAK would be a lot more practical. A knife ain't gonna do much for you if you foolishly expose yourself to 'badass fauna' and get the crap scared out of you. An angry one ton water buffalo galloping at full throttle isn't going to be slowed down much by a pointy knife. That's why safaris generally feature guides that tote large rifles.

Zimbabwe may be a Banana Republic, but please do not make the mistake of thinking they are Monkeys.
Having a great big KLO or any large fixed blade knife is going to raise alarm bells with the locals, and the police in Zimbabwe are way over keen to arrest and confiscate- if you want to donate your shiny new HI to the local constabulary, be my guest, but Zim jails leave a lot to be desired.
I would suggest nothing more then a 4" fixed blade, or even better, a 3" folder.
You are not going to get into knife fights, and you are not going to tackle any badass fauna- sorry, but you are not the first tourist to travel to Zimbabwe.
You are going to attract unwanted attention, from all the wrong places with something visible.
Whatever you take, be prepared to leave behind- just my advice, use it or refuse it.

Take it easy. Who said anything about knife fights?
Zimbabwe may be a Banana Republic, but please do not make the mistake of thinking they are Monkeys.
Having a great big KLO or any large fixed blade knife is going to raise alarm bells with the locals, and the police in Zimbabwe are way over keen to arrest and confiscate- if you want to donate your shiny new HI to the local constabulary, be my guest, but Zim jails leave a lot to be desired.
I would suggest nothing more then a 4" fixed blade, or even better, a 3" folder.
You are not going to get into knife fights, and you are not going to tackle any badass fauna- sorry, but you are not the first tourist to travel to Zimbabwe.
You are going to attract unwanted attention, from all the wrong places with something visible.
Whatever you take, be prepared to leave behind- just my advice, use it or refuse it.

ALL of Zimbabwe is rural, but the more rural you go, the more attention you will get from everyone.
The above advice stands, there is really no benefit to something big, only negatives.
Take deet for mosquitos, pens and notepads for locals, a kikoi for chilling, SAK for whatever you might need, money for beer and lots of patience for bureaucrats.
Get the HI you want, but leave that State side-the local wildlife will not be stopped by shiny knives, minimum is usually a .375 H&H mag, preferably a .458 Lott.
Again, just saying:)

Ahh Dammit! I am Tired of Toting my CS RAjah II around the world! I'm so tired of its crappy steel with poor edge retention... But at least I don't really care if I lose it. What if maybe I just took a Baby DUI Chirra?

http://allafrica.com/stories/200501280237.html
"In 2005 the Zimbabwe Republic Police has outlawed the carrying of weapons such as catapults, machetes, axes, knobkerries, swords and knives in Harare South district for the period running before and during the elections."

Seems like all kind of weapons aren't that uncommon if there isn't an election and nobody would get scared of a Kukri if its not drawn and wielded while screaming.

Anyways always good to check the local laws regarding blade length etc. But of course obeying the law doesn't protect from police which might just want a bribe.
If you don't need to draw it fast for unforeseen emergencies (what could they be?) just keep it in a bag until you need to take it out.

I use a standard sheath for mine but the $20 more basic version sometimes sold with KVLUKs could work better since its flat (easier to conceal) and has no poky brass tip (doesn't destroy your clothes in your backpack) :) The only downside to it is that it doesn't hold the two little side knives (which I barely use anyways)

Catapults!?
http://allafrica.com/stories/200501280237.html
"in 2005 the zimbabwe republic police has outlawed the carrying of weapons such as catapults, machetes, axes, knobkerries, swords and knives in harare south district for the period running before and during the elections."

seems like all kind of weapons aren't that uncommon if there isn't an election and nobody would get scared of a kukri if its not drawn and wielded while screaming.

Anyways always good to check the local laws regarding blade length etc. But of course obeying the law doesn't protect from police which might just want a bribe.
If you don't need to draw it fast for unforeseen emergencies (what could they be?) just keep it in a bag until you need to take it out.

I use a standard sheath for mine but the $20 more basic version sometimes sold with kvluks could work better since its flat and has no poky brass tip :) the only downside to it is that it doesn't hold the two little side knives (which i barely use anyways)

Catapults!?
Some people call slingshots catapults, especially slingshots which use rubber bands. A real slingshot would be a rope with a sling. Its confusing with the same name for different things and different names for the same thing. However I'm very sure they didn't refer to any medieval siege equipment. :D

More beneficial would be to go back with a nice hand made Zambezi Valley spear or a Katemo ( both are available from the market at Vic Falls).
Enjoy the trip man, great people, great country, great wildlife:)

More beneficial would be to go back with a nice hand made Zambezi Valley spear or a Katemo ( both are available from the market at Vic Falls).
Enjoy the trip man, great people, great country, great wildlife:)

That would be an amazing piece for display at your home.

As much as I love my HIs, if I wasn't 100% sure, I'd leave the khuk at home and take a feature-heavy sak or multitool. Maybe pick up a cool local machete or some such blade as a work tool and souvenir.

Sadly, you are probably right. I may have jumped the gun on this one...
As much as I love my HIs, if I wasn't 100% sure, I'd leave the khuk at home and take a feature-heavy sak or multitool. Maybe pick up a cool local machete or some such blade as a work tool and souvenir.

I have a couple spears and axes from that part of the world, and yes they are nice wall pieces, but good to go in the bush if needed.
The Katemo is particularly visible in northern Zimbabwe, but its a very versatile tool and can be found in various places.
You could take some SAK's to trade- they do love a flash knife.
+1 on the multi tool- my Swiss Tool has butchered many a beastie and fixed the water pump;)

When I first came down (Before I moved) to Central America I was going to buy some 12', $200 fixed-blade knife.. posted it here on Bladeforums and asked what they thought. To my surprise at the time, everyone just recommended waiting until I arrived in Panama and buy a cheap machete (Or whatever the locals used). It was actually great advice, and I would pass it along.

As much as I love my 15" Ang Khola, the majority of the time when I need something sharp for field work, the local machetes are better suited to my needs down here. I would suspect that the tools you find locally would be better suited for that area.

That said, I would definitely pack a nice folder and maybe a multitool as well.

Back