zippo tinder sticks - now with mini review!

Anyone have any experience with them? I got a couple of packs along with the zippo emergency fire kit and i'm planning on replacing the alcohol swabs in my HEST handle with the tinder sticks.

Last edited:
i put 3 of the tinder sticks in a zip top baggie along with a small ferro rod inside my HEST. Also some pics of the zippo emergency fire kit. It holds a flint striker and 4 of the tinder sticks. The tinder sticks appear to be wax coated cotton.

IMG_0639.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

I just lit one up off a ferro rod. they burn hot and slow and there's something in the wax that throws off sparks. they seem to be water resistant because i dropped it in a cup of water to put it out and it stayed lit for a bit. You really need to fluff up the cotton to get it to burn well but it burns really well. I'm going to give them a thumbs up.

FYI: The flint striker from the fire kit is removable and will also fit in the HEST handle if you don't want to get a ferro rod.

Does anyone know if Zippo sells refills of just the tinder sticks? I have seen the emergency fire kit in an outdoor supply store and it looks handy, but after starting 4 fires it looks as if you need to buy another $20 kit. (On their site they don't list refills...)

[And if they are sold separately, one could fit WAY more than 4 in the compartment of the ESEE Fire Kit!]

[edit] : Never mind, I found the answer on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Waxed-Tinder-Sticks-Cards-Display/dp/B0035LY25A/ref=pd_sbs_sg_1

Last edited:
not sure about the refills but i imagine you could cut up some fatwood into similar sized pieces and stick them in there

I bought 2 packs of refills when i got the fire kit. Refills come with 8 of the tinder sticks. I'm keeping 4 sticks in the kit and 3 in my HEST. 3 in the baggie fill one half of the handle just about perfectly.

Based on the photos, the o-ring seal for water tightness isn't going to seal. However, based on the review, it's probably not a big deal if the tinder gets wet...

I still think the tinder refills will be great for storing in the handle if the ESEE Fire Kit. (Now if I can just get one of the originals with the mish metal rod...)

I got a good price on ebay for the Zippo Fire Starters and the kit. Just over 19 bucks for the kit ($11.57) and a pack of 8 fire starter ($3.95) shipped. I am going to put at least 2 in my HEST handle.

Back