Zombie tools gladius VS. RMJ Tactical Wyvern

If you are planning on carrying one of these for camping or hiking you should consider perception, don't want to frighten the sheep. The one that looks machete like is an acceptable bush design, a double edged sword is not.

If you are planning on carrying one of these for camping or hiking you should consider perception, don't want to frighten the sheep. The one that looks machete like is an acceptable bush design, a double edged sword is not.

If he's in a spot where he needs a heavy machete, I doubt there will be many "sheep" around calling the cops over the shape of the machete. And what if he needs to scare off a wild forest crackhead? The sword-shaped one will look more intimidating.

I have different blades as well but dont consider them impractical at all.
You never know when a detachment of Napoleonic cavalry might charge you.
I have the blades to repel them, I just hope I can reach my Shetlandpony in time.
MNe5aAn.jpg

Ahh yes, the dreaded Shetland cavalry charge, one of the most feared military maneuvers in the ancient world. It took the advent of the suction cup arrow and the massed nerf boomerang volley to really put an end to its preeminence on the battlefields of yore.

Ahh yes, the dreaded Shetland cavalry charge, one of the most feared military maneuvers in the ancient world. It took the advent of the suction cup arrow and the massed nerf boomerang volley to really put an end to its preeminence on the battlefields of yore.
:D:D:D
Right.

And between the pony at full tilt and my feet dragging on the ground (Im 6.4), I should have the enemy forces in stiches for long enough to close the distance and going to work with my sabre.

I should have the enemy forces in stiches for long enough to close the distance

Wait, you have them in stitches before you even get there? You must have a glare so steely it cuts, but your foes have truly impressive emergency medicine sewing skills. This would be a battle I would totally rent on Pay Per View.

You may want to contact James Helm a maker here on BF as he makes some nice swords and weapons you may find interesting. I'm not sure if his books are open but I believe he's well within your price point. Here's a pic of one of his bush swords which I'm wanting to also get.

http://helmforge.blogspot.com/

You may want to contact James Helm a maker here on BF as he makes some nice swords and weapons you may find interesting. I'm not sure if his books are open but I believe he's well within your price point. Here's a pic of one of his bush swords which I'm wanting to also get.

http://helmforge.blogspot.com/

Ya Helm makes some great stuff. He goes by @Storm Crow

Maybe it's just me but it seems that frightening the sheep would be a good thing. I mean, I go into the woods to be alone, fear might compel them to take the drum circle elsewhere... I'm gonna start carrying my sword on my hikes.

Machete type stuff the Bark River CPM 3V Golok (11 inch blade) slices and dices really good (also sliced clean though a tree section) Price: 260-ish
bark-river-golok-3v.jpg

For survival and machete use in a high end alloy, Bark River Bravo 1 Crusader (9 inch blade) permits some of the utility of the smatchet and seems to work fine for chopping (like a hatchet) but the blade design permits baton use and other stuff that smatchet and RMJ sword don't permit or won't work as well in that mode. Alloy: CPM 3v. Price 300-ish
bark-river-knives-bravo-crusader-3v-dark-curly-maple-red-liner-brass-ksf-469.95__18395.1559580796.jpg

Either one of those is at least 50 percent less the cost of the very nice and cool looking RMJ sword.

Field test of both Bark river stuff on YT showed impressive results, although the Golok is not as ideal for baton use they did try it and it still worked.

Last edited:
There is one or two persons out there making traditional Katana out of CPM 3v but your budget better be high for that, the results speak for themselves IMO.

The answer is always More Smatchet.
AMEN!

I don't have a genuine "Smatchet", but I do have the Cold Steel Machete version of it and after swinging it about for a summer afternoon (several actually) I sincerely hope it is a better "baby sword" than it is as a machete... It simply isn't long enough to work really well as a machete, nor is it heavy enough, an that was after an evening spent wearing Kevlar gloves and improving the edge with a brand new chainsaw gauge file. (a consistantly hard single cut file made to trim Hard Chromed Chainsaw "raker" teeth) It could also be a bit more "Tip heavy".

Last edited:
The gladius is one component of a very complex weapons system. Wielding a gladius around outside of that system is kinda dumb.

YES! it is the armor, the shield, the formation all work together, but outside of the trained operational method it all falls apart!

The Wyvern looks like a Tolkien elven sword, and while I think they'd take you away in a straight jacket for carrying either on the street, the gladius is illegal in way more states due to it's double edged "dagger" status- so I say Wyvern.

PS- a Wyvern just sold on that auction site we all love to hate for $400- maybe set up a search and be patient to get one half price?

Back