ZT 0223

KHe91Dm.jpg
When we've arrived at the place where I actually MUCH prefer a Medford over a ZT design ...you gotta know they really screwed the pooch ! :p

gGpepPD.jpg

Not super happy with the colors but just to just an approximation of what I had in mind. essentially, dark gray G10 Pommel and "Bolster", Dark Brown Micarta Inlay to use as Faux Leather Stack, Bead Blast Gray Blade with a slight more dagger grind and the spine a little ground down to look more like a guard. Inspired a bit by the Camillus M3 which was introduced near the end of the war. I might do a V2.0 when I feel like spending more than 10 Minutes :p

Most folding daggers look terrible. This one looks really good, but i suspect it's because the blade is probably too wide to safely sit inside the handle when closed.

after the disappointment of the 0223, my therapy is finally over: I have received today a 0640 and a 0470 and I like when ZT makes good knives.
Just have to changed the bad cf overlay of the 0640 for some micarta and it should be Breyer than fine ;)

The 470 is a great knife. I just wish Kershaw/ZT would get better at sharpening their knives. Or I just get unlucky![/QUOTE
That’s odd. I’ve received plenty of kershaws that we’re not very pointy at all but all my ZTs have been fine (some better than others, but never one that wasn’t sharp or pointy)

That’s odd. I’ve received plenty of kershaws that we’re not very pointy at all but all my ZTs have been fine (some better than others, but never one that wasn’t sharp or pointy)
I'm the opposite! Chinese Kershaws are usually fine, but usa made are really hit and miss. My 470 was OK, but one side was close to 17 degrees, the other is WAY over 20. Offcenter edge... I'm fixing it now. 566 was OK, but not sharp. 562 was used so I can't count it, but previous owner rounded the tip. 0770 was good though, until it came back from warranty! Bareknuckle was OK, but the tip was over ground on one side.

Such is life. Love the knives, wish they had spyderco do their edges. Haven't had a single usa spyderco with a bad edge yet!

Most folding daggers look terrible. This one looks really good, but i suspect it's because the blade is probably too wide to safely sit inside the handle when closed.
It sticks out a bit and would have a false edge like the original XCOM as you can see here:
3425_clipside-closed_1020x400__510x200.png

Which I think looks fine. It wouldn't require a lot of re-engineering on ZT/KAI's part. You could probably feasibly scale the handle up a little bit to hide it a bit more. But I think it looks good as is. Of course a fully double edge ground up design would be nice, something like Sharp By Designs Arch Nemesis, but there will never be a Midtech/Production version of it, so the next best would be a Maximus, but again it wouldn't look good as a hommage knife like the XCOM seems to lend itself to.

after the disappointment of the 0223, my therapy is finally over: I have received today a 0640 and a 0470 and I like when ZT makes good knives.
Just have to changed the bad cf overlay of the 0640 for some micarta and it should be Breyer than fine ;)

I'm crossing my fingers for a 0640 Sprint Run, maybe with blacked out scales and overlays, maybe not a DLC blade or partial DLC like the 0850CF, I could see myself getting one.

I'm crossing my fingers for a 0640 Sprint Run, maybe with blacked out scales and overlays, maybe not a DLC blade or partial DLC like the 0850CF, I could see myself getting one.
I have asked me the same question but I decided to go with the standard one. I am sure the mall-ninja/keynoard-commando I have in me will not have resisted :)
And after a while I usually end selling my DLC blades so the satin/stonewashed wa a choice of reason for me :)

Actually I have seen the 0640 in a shop and the CF was decent/ok and shown a good green pattern
On the one I received the cf is more yellow than green and it looks very bad. I have placed an order for a set of micarta overlays
I will share the results

Concerning the knife itself it is impressing
Action, detent, disengagement of the lock-up and ergos for my hand are awesome
That is the first Emerson I don’t feel the need to put an oversized thumb disk on it

After I will have put the new scales on it, i will decide why I do with the pocket clip
The knife carries high in the pocket and the deep carry clip I have tried on it was not solving this “issue” so I think I will go for a standard clip. Either I keep the ZT on or I get a real Emerson clip for it

I forgot to mention that I am a fanboy of the ergonomics of the Emerson’s knives :) and that the action on my 0640 is the best action I have experimented on a knife on washers
Different feelings than on my sebenzas but very very impressing
I prefer the action of the 0640 over my Inkosi while the knife is ~1/2 the price

Good job ZT on this one

Last edited:
The 470 is a great knife. I just wish Kershaw/ZT would get better at sharpening their knives. Or I just get unlucky!
You and me both. My 301, 200, and 350 all came with near perfect edges. But the newer models I have terrible luck with. Trying to find a 456CF with an evenly ground edge was like pulling teeth.

You and me both. My 301, 200, and 350 all came with near perfect edges. But the newer models I have terrible luck with. Trying to find a 456CF with an evenly ground edge was like pulling teeth.
Both 0640 and 0470 I have received came with a perfect edge and good operation and lock up... maybe a tad early o. The 0470 but I should break in quickly

I am very impressed by the 0640.
I had some concerned but really it is increasible for now

Back on topic I don’t get how T may have manage so poorly their concept wih the 0223

I would like to see some review to know more about it

I didn’t know
Thanks for the information
I guess his designs may not be for me then

The SUPER STALLION (I feel like a name like that needs to be in caps...) has a quite a different looking blade:
GBBQDVu.jpg

Yes, the general shape is very similar, but the jimping is different (the whole Picatinny Style), there is a thin fuller beneath the spine, there are more grinds, the holes are inset into a fuller as well. It looks a lot more elaborate.

It already had the holes in the recurso area which is IMO the most disturbing point on the blade shape.
the handle is another story,I don't like it at all in pictures and I shall handle it to make sure howI feel about it.

Has anyone handled this knife at Bladeshow and can share his feelings/comments on it?

Back