ZT 0223

This could have easily been an April Fools joke...in their promo when they said “a knife inspired by the greatest generation” or something referencing WWII, I was expecting to see a fixed blade, possibly a modern KaBar or Fairbain Sykes design, not this...thing.

This and the 0640 stick out like sore thumbs in the ZT line, both are also the most recently designs, I wonder if they have had a change in product management?

This and the 0640 stick out like sore thumbs in the ZT line, both are also the most recently designs, I wonder if they have had a change in product management?
I am fine with the 0640
IMO it has no design flaws and the material and conception are in line with the purpose of the knife
The mes of the CF color is another topic but for the fit and function of the knife I like it pretty much

Again not every knife can be for everyone of us, that is part of the hobby

This could have easily been an April Fools joke...in their promo when they said “a knife inspired by the greatest generation” or something referencing WWII, I was expecting to see a fixed blade, possibly a modern KaBar or Fairbain Sykes design, not this...thing.

The 640 is the first ZT model I ve been interested in in some time. I don t like flipper only folders, and am fine with well built manuel openers. I ve held the 640 in hand, and I think it is a fine knife.

Just another opportunity for people who are new to the knife community to see how badly ZT/Kershaw/KAI's PR person handles criticism. They lash out, throw tantrums, then delete all the comments where they had their natural reaction and leave the ones they responded to in with a modicum of civility and class. And they'll block you on a whim... Believe me.

I'm a fan of their knives (Not really ZT in recent years with most of their designs, but lots in the past. Mostly a big fan of Kershaw for budget knives.) just not of their approach to PR. I actually apologized on Instagram and they still wouldn't unblock me, despite the fact that I often post positively about them.

Just another opportunity for people who are new to the knife community to see how badly ZT/Kershaw/KAI's PR person handles criticism. They lash out, throw tantrums, then delete all the comments where they had their natural reaction and leave the ones they responded to in with a modicum of civility and class. And they'll block you on a whim... Believe me.

I'm a fan of their knives (Not really ZT in recent years with most of their designs, but lots in the past. Mostly a big fan of Kershaw for budget knives.) just not of their approach to PR. I actually apologized on Instagram and they still wouldn't unblock me, despite the fact that I often post positively about them.

Honestly ZT sees places where people can comment such as their Facebook and Instagram as basically advertisements. They don’t want anybody damaging their sales by making negative comments.

They want to use those pages to boost sales and hype but don’t want to face that it can be a double edged sword.

Honestly ZT sees places where people can comment such as their Facebook and Instagram as basically advertisements. They don’t want anybody damaging their sales by making negative comments.

They want to use those pages to boost sales and hype but don’t want to face that it can be a double edged sword.

I think it is fair to argue Thomas W's time here shows it's more than just that.

It is hard for me since ZT has been my first "real knife" and was my gate into american made knife.
I have almost been a ZT fan boy for some time and after evolving in my approach of the hobby I am still a ZT follower.
I am from the "built like a tank" time, choosing between a 0301 and a 0350 was my problem at this time :)
I am still convinced that are one of the best company in term of built quality and material, but really they have problems defining what is their soul

They look like they strategy is to be some EOM for famous designers.
Limited number of in house design, no real purpose on their knives, no real product series developed, no care about addressing identified target markets.
They are mainly acting as trend followers nowadays.

They still manufacture very good knives.
I have the 0350, 0550, 0801, 0630, 0470, 0640 in my collection and a lot of other models than I couldn't afford but would've like to try :)

But in the mean time they release such strange things.

And if you consider they portfolio: drop point, ball bearing, titanium flipper
I am fine with titanium, but seriously they have the capability to bring some diversity!

Look at the strategy of CRK, Hinderer or any other companies: they not only work on the anodization, they also work on the blade shape, finishes, etc.

4 handles: straight, groove, going up, going down
Basic blade shapes: drop point, clip point, tanto, spear point
Opening: manual, flipper
Blade: straight, serrated, choil/no choil
Handle material: CF, plain Ti, G10, Micarta
clip: standard, deep carry
blade finish: stonewash, satin, DLC
blade length: sub 3", 3.25", 3.5"+,4"
Make combinations, you don't need to be creative, you need to create product families and stop discontinuing your models on short time

For each series, focus a target market group and make variation on the design

That is common-sense and when I see what they do I am just so disappointed.

I seems the Kershaw line has a better product marketing team than ZT.
It doesn't make sense to me.

Sorry, it was a long post.
I like ZT very much, I am still buying from them because they make excellent products but I am frustrated they don't do a better job on a product line / company strategy

Last edited:
I did buy a 0850CF recently, and while I am generally happy with the knife, the black really turns down the revolver theme a lot, and I quite like the shape, it's not centered and I can't get it to center, which is a little annoying, especially on a more expensive spring run. I'm gonna keep the knife and gonna use it, but I don't think I'll get another ZT. At least not this year unless something really really (really) exciting comes out. There are just too many other companies in a similar price range that stepped up their game recently. The WE Chimera was about 75$ cheaper and came razor sharp. I like(d) ZT a lot, bought probably a dozen or so last year and enjoy the one's I have but they really need to change a few things.
Especially the XCOM thing I don't understand. I mean I can't be the only one who thinks that a ZT version of that knife would be a much more fitting "Military Knife Hommage" than the 0223? Like make the XCOM slightly larger with better materials and you have a well designed, cool looking modern "combat folder" with the Les George name attached to it? Like 3.75in blade length, brown or natural micarta scales, satin blade finish, pb washers and a slightly nicer thumb disc or a thumb stud? I think that would sell. At least better than the 0223...

Also WTF...ZT...somebody tell me this is an optical illusion:
0223_1024x500.jpg

Those stupid perforations in the ricasso aren't even properly lined up on a frickin promo image? Come on...

I did buy a 0850CF recently, and while I am generally happy with the knife, the black really turns down the revolver theme a lot, and I quite like the shape, it's not centered and I can't get it to center, which is a little annoying, especially on a more expensive spring run. I'm gonna keep the knife and gonna use it, but I don't think I'll get another ZT. At least not this year unless something really really (really) exciting comes out. There are just too many other companies in a similar price range that stepped up their game recently. The WE Chimera was about 75$ cheaper and came razor sharp. I like(d) ZT a lot, bought probably a dozen or so last year and enjoy the one's I have but they really need to change a few things.
Especially the XCOM thing I don't understand. I mean I can't be the only one who thinks that a ZT version of that knife would be a much more fitting "Military Knife Hommage" than the 0223? Like make the XCOM slightly larger with better materials and you have a well designed, cool looking modern "combat folder" with the Les George name attached to it? Like 3.75in blade length, brown or natural micarta scales, satin blade finish, pb washers and a slightly nicer thumb disc or a thumb stud? I think that would sell. At least better than the 0223...

0223_1024x500.jpg

Those stupid perforations in the ricasso aren't even properly lined up on a frickin promo image? Come on...
Let me know if you want to be ZT Keyboard Commando #1. You’ve earned it.

okay, I try to take some distance with the main topic and analyze our feelings about the 0223.
It really looks like most of us like ZT but have the feeling to be "lost" by the strategy of the company.

the is quite interesting in fact.

Sad that ZT sees our comments has some "keyboard commandos" buzz whereas it may be an opportunity to work with its supporters.

Nice to discuss with you fellow ZT guys!

okay, I try to take some distance with the main topic and analyze our feelings about the 0223.
It really looks like most of us like ZT but have the feeling to be "lost" by the strategy of the company.

the is quite interesting in fact.

Sad that ZT sees our comments has some "keyboard commandos" buzz whereas it may be an opportunity to work with its supporters.

Nice to discuss with you fellow ZT guys!

It happens to a lot of companies unfortunately. It just baffles me in modern times where you can (as a company) get all the market research for free, just read forums and comments, start out polls and go by that. Ask the customer what they want. Of course you can't cater to every stupid little niche, but it can't be so hard to figure out what the broad majority of your customer base wants by engaging with them. I get that the forums here are the enthusiasts and don't represent the knife buying majority, but still, there are a lot of universal things and you can't tell me that a knife for knife guys won't appeal to the majority as long the price point is the same.

Oh yeah it’s hysterical, their sales director is possibly one of the most immature people I’ve ever seen in such a position, they banned me from their forum somewhere else for posting pictures of my badly warped Natrix.

They haven’t had a presence here in awhile since they were way out of their depth with the need to act like professionals.

Kershaw used to deliver great value with their Chinese made models, these days they are overpriced relative to others and their quality has declined notably. Chinese brands like Steel Will and We are vastly superior at similar prices.

Humility is something some people will never learn.
Which is sad since humility is the first step you need to take to learn and to improve

0223_1024x500.jpg

I hope those are at least .223 cases in that pic. ;)

I actually really like my 0850, except for one primary flaw....it has no detent. I can shake the blade out nine times out of ten. If I tighten the pivot enough to make it safe, then it's very unpleasant (if even possible) to open one handed. And I'm very hesitant to send it in for warranty.

The one negative customer service experience I had with ZT (out of a number of positive), was a 0561 that I sent in with no detent. It was returned to me untouched. So I spent money on shipping, and went without the knife for a month for absolutely no reason. I eventually fixed it myself. But not having many tools at the time, and very little knowledge of the internal workings of the knife, it took me hours to accomplish. Almost feel lucky that I stumbled into the correct combination of adjustments. With proper tools and knowledge, probably could have been done by ZT warranty tech in minutes.

Unfortunately my 0850 does not exibit the same "out of spec" features as my old 0561. So I don't know what it would take to fix short of simply replacing major components until it works. And have no faith that would happen at this time if I sent it in.

0223_1024x500.jpg

I hope you shopped that, I didn't even see it before and now I can't stop staring at the mesmerizing awfulness.

Back