ZT 0230!

I do like the look of it quite a bit. But for the price point, I don't think it even comes close to comparing to the Monterey Bay Knives EWC. Both CF handles, both double detent slip joints, but the MBK one innovates a flipper into the design. Just a way better package for my money.

I like blue and all. But for the price, it's too bad the backspacer/loop is not Ti so it could be more easily changed or customized.

Excellent video. I especially appreciate the last bit where you show the liners during the close. From what I saw, it looks like the half-stop detent only involves one liner which makes me wonder if the closed detent also involves only one while the fully open detent uses both as you show in the video. That's a nifty way to control the "walk & talk" instead of using variations on tang-slope. It's not for me, but I appreciate what they did there.

I do like the look of it quite a bit. But for the price point, I don't think it even comes close to comparing to the Monterey Bay Knives EWC. Both CF handles, both double detent slip joints, but the MBK one innovates a flipper into the design. Just a way better package for my money.
Now that is a design I like! I do however wish it still had a nail nick as a slower opening option since it is a slipjoint after all.

Now that is a design I like! I do however wish it still had a nail nick as a slower opening option since it is a slipjoint after all.

It's actually really easy to slow roll it open with the top flipper as well.

I don't own or keep up with ZT. It appears from looking at their site that new offerings sell at MSRP, but then drop in price later. Is this accurate?

I don't own or keep up with ZT. It appears from looking at their site that new offerings sell at MSRP, but then drop in price later. Is this accurate?

Looks to me like ZT is now competing with their dealers by selling direct at their imposed MAP pricing, instead of their retail price. I've seen that happen many times in my industry. It's a very destructive path. An act of desperation for quick cash and a slap in the face to the dealers that MADE them in the first place.

The 0230s have landed, they are sweet.
NctKyIT.jpg

Here it is with my Workhorse Smock, the 0230 is going to be a frequent passenger in my pocket slip.

j8p3pLu.jpg

I enjoy the feel of the double detent slippies, the detents are nice and crisp on this one, and overall it is really slim but plenty hand filling. Can't wait to put it to work.

Alrighty, I'm sold. I really like the blade shape and the carbon fiber scales.

Great video by the OP as well. It got me to take a look at this knife in the first place.

After carrying it for a few days, I have some additional thoughts.

1. Because so many people seem to want clips, a version of this with a longer blade and a clip would be a great design. I personally love the size and clip-less version, but just spit-balling.

2. The stock is pretty thick. With a FFG it does act kind of like a wedge or chisel for cutting thicker things like apples. Do not recommend for kitchen prep! Because of the use case, I wouldn't mind a thinner blade stock, but it's useful as is.

3. My enthusiasm is still mega high. I just do not buy MAP/retail knives are knife shows really. Given it was too new to find a user on the exchange (my pref), I'd rather pay cheaper prices at dealers or at least build up some of those reward points (I'm looking at you DLT above me (and others... I don't have a knife problem...). But in person this was too much. It was just so so so nice. And I 10/10 would buy again!

After 0562 and 0452, I have moved to Hinderer for ti flippers and to this date I do not regret.

As much as I have been a ZT fan (not so much of late) Im gonna pass on this one. I have my eye on the Real Steel Luna. BHQ has a cf exclusive coming out soon too.

looks kinda weak, especially for the price

Could you give specific reasons why you think this? I'm not discounting your opinion. I'm just curious. It's a premium blade steel, premium scale material, known designer, and probably the least expensive ZT on the list right now. I do wish the back spacer was TI instead of aluminum and that it came with a pocket clip. However for 180 bones, I think its priced reasonably.

I don't own one, and I probably won't buy one unless I stumble across one and have a moment of impulse. My current highest dollar slip joint cost about $80. However the material quality is not on par with the 230.

I'm not challenging you, but what are you basing that on?
Modern slipjoints are the new Ti Framelocks.

The new designs are not really proudly overbuilt and are noticeably tinier. Benchmade went into the slippies recently too.
Trying to attract the same crowd I guess!

It's not uncommon for a knife company to make a modern variation of a slipjoint. Spyderco has probably been doing it the longest although theirs do not look traditional in anyway. Benchmade had so much success with the Proper that they expanded bladeshapes and materials. This looked promising but I want a traditional to be a fairly thin slicer. If it wedges an apple I don't care how premium it is - it's not what I'm after. So it sounds like ZT overbuilt this one as well.

Back