Zt 0350 KME

hey everyone I am having a problem sharpening my zt 0350 on my KME sharpener.

Problem is every time I get one side to evenly take the sharpie off I flip it the the other side of the blade and it’s not evenly taking it off. ( depending on how I have it angled it could be taking off high up on bevel or hitting to low on it )I have tried and put the blade different ways in the clamp and it seems to never get right.

So what could be wrong?

Option 1: keep trying Until i get it close

Option 2: sharpen one side of the knife and keep adjusting for each side as I alternate

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Keep the blade clamped the same way every time. That should be centered along the spine.

From the sounds of it, your specimen has an uneven factory grind. That's not too uncommon. You can either adjust for each side or grind one side to match the other, which is what I'd do. Take the highest angle side and lower it to meet the other. Take your time and don't put pressure on the stones.

How far off are they?

Keep the blade clamped the same way every time. That should be centered along the spine.

From the sounds of it, your specimen has an uneven factory grind. That's not too uncommon. You can either adjust for each side or grind one side to match the other, which is what I'd do. Take the highest angle side and lower it to meet the other. Take your time and don't put pressure on the stones.

How far off are they?

I’ll try to take pictures tonight . To show you .

When you first reprofile a knife do you keep adjusting the knife until you get the sharpie completely taking off or will there be some spots that aren’t taking off until it’s “ reprofiled”

Let’s say I’m sharpening at 17 dps and all of the sharpie is being taking off except a fraction of it showing in the belly of the blade at the bottom of the bevel and a little more towards the tip towards bottom of the bevel .

Thanks for the help again

0ZugrGc.jpg

I got it to hit evenly on both sides no problem finally.

Had it hair popping sharp using my xtra course stone with a nice burr.
Went all the way though each stone getting a burr on each . Also deburring every time .

Went to strop it and it had a hard time cutting hair after wards

So I put my extra course stone back on did one QUICK pass over and it was back to hair popping sharp again .

then went back to my extra fine stone just to make it little more shine and it went back to dull

I have no idea what happened I spent so much time taking it slow making sure I had a burr each time and it look amazing when I got done but I have no idea what went wrong it looks good .

Any ideas thanks

Last edited:
Ah well, my apologies, I didn't realize that blade had a recurve. Those are always problematic with stones. That might have been what was causing your issues.

It's hard to tell for sure but in that second picture it looks like the blade may still have a burr. At least from the tip to the start of the recurve. It's possible you're just getting a burr off the XC stone and that is what is making it appear sharp. Remember to use light pressure and use a marker for every stone.

Back