ZT 0452...WOW!

I have never been a fan of framelocks. I liked the Axis lock and the Compression
lock and CBB lock more. But I decided to try a Spyderco advocate...and it was
fantastic. I was won over!
I like bigger blades...and I saw the 0452CF by ZT so I ordered it. When it arrived
it needed sharpening! So I hit the sharpmaker and then started to carry and use it.
I can't believe what I have been missing! Light weight, epic action, great fit and finish
(except the edge). Holy cow what a great knife!

I do not like most of ZT's other offerings...huge, heavy...ugly to me.

But the 0452CF is the freaking bomb! I am a happy camper now!

Sinkevich for the win!

Does anyone else here like this knife? I can't believe it is so good!

It's one of the more popular models they make for a reason. If you like big ZT's the 0920 or the 0462 are two I would recommend (I own like a dozen). The 0562 is popular for good reason as well.

I have a Zt0452Wbw and it came razor sharp, in fact it's easily still one of my sharpest blades, came a little stiff on the detent but now it locks up like a vault and flips amazing for an almost 4" blade. I second the Zt0920, it's an awesome knife. I love the blade shape but it is a recurve I'd that matters to you. Enjoy!!

zD7ccJOl.jpg

Last edited:
The 0452 was my first purchase once I made knives a hobby. I EDC’d it for a long time and it disappears in the pocket due to its slim profile.

My frame lock and detent were very strong and stiff and it took a few thousand openings and closings to break it in. I also swapped out the clip for the 0801 for a deeper carry.

Overall I highly recommend the 0452, it’s a great knife.

Congrats man! Always great finding a new blade/style that you love. You're making me want to pick another 0452 up... I had one a few years ago and it was definitely sweet. Not the greatest cutter if I'm being honest but I buy knives for all types of reasons :thumbsup:

Not the greatest cutter if I'm being honest but I buy knives for all types of reasons :thumbsup:

True, it definitely suffers from thick blade syndrome. The wide triangle effect is exacerbated by the short distance from the edge to the center line full thickness start of the grind.

This is why the 0770cf is by far my best-cutting ZT, and I have piles of them--thinner blade stock with a taller triangle for the win.

Yeah as I said in another thread, 0452 and 0562 IMO are the two best ZTs that have been produced ever by KAI.

I semi agree, I'll swap the 0450cf for the 0452. I wish I could like big knives but I rarely have any use for one, even though the 0452 is sweet!

I have a 0566cf, 0562CF, 0770CF, and an 0470. The 566, 770, and 470, once reprofiled to 15 dps and a microbevel, cut like lasers. The 562 cuts well, but is thick, which is good when I'm chopping small limbs and branches in the yard!

Love my spydercos, but my ZTs are great as well. Check out an 0470...i guarantee you will like it!

You must be careful, those ZTs are very addicting lol they should put a warning label on the box like they do with cigarettes.
Seriously tho, the 0452 is my all-time favorite knife. I own 6 versions, the regular, gold M390, WBW, GL, and both titanium versions.
It’s like carrying a sword in your pocket, and the detent, grinds, sharpness and lockup are just about perfect on all of them. I love the fact that the clip is so small too, it will bury the knife in your pocket and looks like you’re carrying a 2” knife.
I like the 0450s quite a bit also but it’s a little small for me and lacks the deep-carry clips that I prefer. The 0462 is a beast too, like they added some curves to the 0452.
My next knife purchase will probably be a 0470, as I hear a lot of good things on BF about that knife as well. Congrats on your new purchase!

Last edited:
When I think about it, all of my favorite ZTs are Sinkevich designs (besides the 0456). It’s too bad Ken Onion doesn’t work with ZT anymore, because they collaborated on some awesome designs (0400, 0200, etc.)

My 0452 had some of the best action I've ever experienced in a knife. I always felt like I was carrying a pocket cavalry saber. :D

It's been my opinion for years that the 0452 is as close to perfection (for what it is) as any knife can get. I've owned almost every variant at one point - the one I regret selling is the 0452G10 with that contoured handle, the only gold knife I ever liked. The full Ti with the milled out scale was a real sleeper though... A random group photo from the archive:

ogNaVJd.jpg

And that sexy gold beast:

kP1MY5l.jpg

Last edited:
It's been my opinion for years that the 0452 is as close to perfection (for what it is) as any knife can get. I've owned almost every variant at one point - the one I regret selling is the 0452G10 with that contoured handle, the only gold knife I ever liked. The full Ti with the milled out scale was a real sleeper though... A random group photo from the archive:

ogNaVJd.jpg

And that sexy gold beast:

kP1MY5l.jpg
Nice collection! The last one i would like to acquire is the first one in your picture....the blue/CF M390....IMO the best of all worlds! Someday....

Nice collection! The last one i would like to acquire is the first one in your picture....the blue/CF M390....IMO the best of all worlds! Someday....
Sadly the only one I have left is the standard 0452cf. But it is arguably my favorite at second hand prices. Still hoping for a full Ti DLC 0452tibk

Back