ZT 0470 with KVT ball bearings

Does anyone have this knife and on one of the bearings does not come with a washer against the Titanium Scales? I called ZT today and the reason given to me by ZT ( who I was transferred to because they were familiar with this knife )was that the bearings would wear a grove in the titanium for the balls to track in. I find this hard to believe as the other bearing, on the other side of the pivot, has a washer. They said that it is not a error on their part but how it is designed. Why would you want to create a grove in the softer material then the bearings? There is a pocket in the titanium for the bearings to sit in. Am I missing something?

Does anyone have this knife and on one of the bearings does not come with a washer against the Titanium Scales? I called ZT today and the reason given to me by ZT ( who I was transferred to because they were familiar with this knife )was that the bearings would wear a grove in the titanium for the balls to track in. I find this hard to believe as the other bearing, on the other side of the pivot, has a washer. They said that it is not a error on their part but how it is designed. Why would you want to create a grove in the softer material then the bearings? There is a pocket in the titanium for the bearings to sit in. Am I missing something?
It is normal for zt. Only reason the other side has metal is because of the carbon fiber.

They have made some models recently after consumer feedback with washers on both.

But most all zt models ride on titanium.

Overall it's not an issue unless it's abused or over tightening the pivot.

I seek knives only with hardened washers.

Spyderco had an issue with there steel washers being too thin and cupping over the bearings. That was a major issue. They have since re designed there bearing knives.

But regardless of all that it is indeed true that bearings will wear a track into the surface. This is normal.

Forming this track is called breaking the knife in. Metal bearings take longer to break in than the harder ceramic bearings which break in much sooner. Generally if bearings are ceramic, they have to be on hardened steel washers. But if they are steel bearings it's not absolutely necessary to have steel washers.

Steel washers will reduce wear compared to titanium. Also they will help reduce risk of divots on titanium. They also just ride smoother.

Here's a test showing the kind of pressures that are considered physical damage or abuse causing damage. Note these shiros don't use steel washers.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/sbw_flipper-95-bearings-pivot-point-test.1263295/

Link to photo of a zt 0450cf essentially the same as your knife. See the bearing track warn in on the ti. Also one washer only.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/show-us-your-bearings.1409394/#post-16518489
You'll see some other zt's too.

Last edited:
Quote from Mo2
"It is normal for zt. Only reason the other side has metal is because of the carbon fiber.
They have made some models recently after consumer feedback with washers on both.
But most all zt models ride on titanium.
Overall it's not an issue unless it's abused or over tightening the pivot.
I seek knives only with hardened washers.
Spyderco had an issue with there steel washers being too thin and cupping over the bearings. That was a major issue. They have since re designed there bearing knives.
But regardless of all that it is indeed true that bearings will wear a track into the surface. This is normal.
Forming this track is called breaking the knife in. Metal bearings take longer to break in than the harder ceramic bearings which break in much sooner. Generally if bearings are ceramic, they have to be on hardened steel washers. But if they are steel bearings it's not absolutely necessary to have steel washers.
Steel washers will reduce wear compared to titanium. Also they will help reduce risk of divots on titanium. They also just ride smoother."

Bearing does not contact carbon fiber on the show side of the knife. The carbon fiber is just a insert in the titanium. Contacts titanium on both sides. Only put the washer on one side where it contacts the titanium? Can't believe it's a cost issue on a knife with a MSRP of $300. If it ran against carbon fiber I totally agree. Just think they missed the boat in this area. Had other fit issues with this knife but was able to get it to operate better then most of my others.
Small pocket clip has my larger hands touching the frame lock making it impossible to open so made a larger clip that my fingers contact when opening the knife and any pressure on the clip does not touch the frame lock. Blade was also off center but is OK after adjustments. Do like this knife after issues were addressed.
RRP_0001_NEF-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Mine has a washer on both scales. However I flipped them over because the action felt a little off. The washers had little divots in them from most likely being over tightened from factory.

Mine has a washer on both scales. However I flipped them over because the action felt a little off. The washers had little divots in them from most likely being over tightened from factory.
That's possible... But maybe it was a return that the vendor just popped back on the shelf. Sucks but it's good they can be reversed.

It's for sure a brand new knife. I got it in store from a local vendor and it was right when these knives started shipping.

Back