~~~ZT 0562CF & 0620CF now only in Carpenter CTS-204P

Here is a direct cut & paste from ZT we at the GearBarrel.com received today:

"Kai USA Ltd. • 18600 SW Teton Avenue • Tualatin, Oregon 97062
DEALER MEMO: ZT STEEL CHANGE
Dear Dealer,
This is to let you know that Zero Tolerance is switching the blade steel in two of our
products—the 0562CF and 0620CF—from Böhler M390 to Carpenter CTS-204P.
These two high-chromium, powdered metallurgy stainless steels are almost identical in
formula. M390 has slightly more silicon, CTS-204P has slightly more tungsten and
manganese; all other elements are the same.
We are very pleased to tell you that this USA-made steel is much more readily available
than M390 and this will mean that you’ll experience less delay in receiving your ZT
products.
CTS-204P offers a premium combination of features: the ability to take a very sharp
edge, wear resistance for superior edge retention, toughness, and polish-ability. When
creating this alloy, one of the uses Carpenter specifically had in mind was making
custom knives.
Updated steel products begin shipping in 2 weeks
You may continue to receive M390 products while we are in the process of making this
transition, but soon all production will be shipping with CTS-204P blade steel.
We think you will be very pleased with the performance of this outstanding Made-inthe-
USA stainless steel.
Best regards,
Thomas Welk
Director of Sales & Marketing"

Just heads-up from your fellow knife whores on GearBarrel.com
Enjoy your blades,
The GearBarrel.com Team

i think so :D

o.png

The price on the secondary market is going to go up on the M390s with flippers charging insane amounts as usual!

It's about damn time ZT.

At this point I don't care if it's s30v, just so long as I'm able to get one!

I'm glad they finally went through with this. Also glad they stuck with an anolog for M390 instead of letting the steel go down in quality to try and get the production up.
CTS-204p is a very nice steel, and I haven't seen anything out of it that doesn't pretty much match M390 1-for-1, so I'm glad they are using it now. Hopefully this lets them increase the numebr of knives they're able to produce with 204p as well...a lot easier to get steel made in America than it is to get Bohler's stuff I would imagine.

Does suck to me that they had to drop Elmax for S35VN though. I like S35VN, but it doesn't even really compare to Elmax for toughness, and still has lower edge retention in most of my experience. Oh well. Maybe we will see some new offerings of steels coming from them sometime soon as well?

Glad the 0562cf is going to be available again. Honestly I can't tell the difference between S30v and M390 so 204p or whatever number ZT wants to put on the blade is fine with me.

This should help to reduce the delays on these really popular knives.

I really wanted 0562CF, but went with the regular Elmax instead.

Edited to add:

They have done a good job in bringing out the new models that were shown at the 2015 SHOT Show.

Last edited:
I figured this was coming. I wonder if they will change the steel used in the G10 562 from Elmax to S35VN?

I'm glad to see this. A 0562CF has been on my wish list, but I don't want one bad enough to pay the current prices. It will be nice to see these knives become more accessible.

This is great, I'm a huge fan of Carpenter. I buy my share of foreign products, but it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to get American steel in an American built knife.

Gives collectors a reason to buy duplicates of these models because of the steel change...souls like a solid marketing strategy to me.

Gives collectors a reason to buy duplicates of these models because of the steel change...souls like a solid marketing strategy to me.

It does, but it also allows output of their hardest-to-get model as fast as the 2015 models are hitting market. I just added them to my list. Brings the count of ZT production models (including mid-production, generational changes and unobtainiums like the 0801FDE and Russian ZT-9 variant) to somewhere around 125.

It'll be cool to do a side-by-side comparison of the M390's vs the 204P's.

Data sheets are linked at: www.alphaknifesupply.com

The 204p is formed using 2nd generation PM Micro-melt technology. The m390 is formed with 3rd generation PM Microclean technology. The Bohler pdf has comparative photos.

So I guess this means I can finally pick up a 0562cf?! In 204p?!?! YESSSS! Glad i have my 0620cf in m390 though....

It does, but it also allows output of their hardest-to-get model as fast as the 2015 models are hitting market. I just added them to my list. Brings the count of ZT production models (including mid-production, generational changes and unobtainiums like the 0801FDE and Russian ZT-9 variant) to somewhere around 125.

It'll be cool to do a side-by-side comparison of the M390's vs the 204P's.

Russian ZT-9? Tell me more!

*puts M390 0562CF in to safe...*

M390, CTS-204P and 20CV are very similar. It's great that ZT is moving to the more readily available CTS-204P.

Composition Comparison Graph For The Knife Steels Latrobe 20CV, Carpenter CTS-204P, Bohler-Uddeholm M390

I'm just surprised they didn't do this sooner given the demand behind the 0562CF in particular. Then again, it's ZT so for sure someone will cry foul. Starting the count down for the inevitable "I didn't pre-order 204P! Everyone should boycott ZT! ZOMG!" posts.

Back