1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

ZT 0562TI, making the hardware satin?

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by sogflash, Jul 12, 2019.

1. sogflash

sogflash

Aug 28, 2011
    I'm looking at the ZT0562TI and I don't like the black hardware. What's the easiest way to get rid of the color? Sanding seems easy except for the grooves in the pivot screw. Can it be done with chemicals?

Or can uncoated hardware be purchased?

Also is this knife still in production?

2. soc_monki

soc_monki

Apr 5, 2019
    Get bare titanium hardware. You can get it for about 20-30 bucks.

3. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Drill+Sandpaper was what I used to strip the DLC.

4. kylemiller

kylemiller

May 18, 2016
    You've got two great options here OP. I'd also give ZT an email and see if they can help. Probably won't but worth a shot.

I understand you're dilemma though. It was the first thing that stood out to me when I saw that knife. Looked accidental it was so strange.

5. sogflash

sogflash

Aug 28, 2011
    Can you post a picture?

Who sells it?

6. kylemiller

kylemiller

May 18, 2016

Probably Bladeswelove on Ebay.

7. soc_monki

soc_monki

Apr 5, 2019
    Bingo!

8. b00n

Dec 15, 2016
    Here you go:
    [​IMG]

TenShun705 likes this.
  9. sogflash

sogflash

Aug 28, 2011
    How did you get in the grooves on the pivot screw? It also looks like you got in the torx are on the body screws.

10. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Blue or bronze ti hardware will immediately make this knife look much better , though that would cost $100 more. Like the above poster said, replacing only the screws will cost less.

11. b00n

Dec 15, 2016
    It was actually a combination. It was an 0562CF and an 0562ORBLK, the CF has a satin pivot, so I just stripped the body screws. And the inside of the screws is just partially sanded, I used the sandpaper and rolled it up into a little cone (like a dunce hat) so just the tip was on the inside, which removed enough for the DLC without rounding the inside of the torx edges. It's not the most perfect job, but I just wanted a "light" 0562 that looks more like a tool than a tactical knife. (I have an all blacked out one as well, which is basically the 0562ORBLK with the CF Scale)

12. atony

atony Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 30, 2008
    If you buy one I can bead blast all the hardware.

13. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Part time maker, very very part time Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 25, 2012
    I used a 3M fine grit sanding sponge.
    Put some tape around the treads of the screw. Painters tape or electrical tape. ... clean the treads with rubbing alcohol before reassembling.
    chuck it up in your drill, don't use the chuck key, just hand tighten. You don't want crush the treads.
    Go slow and keep checking, so you don't take off more than you need to.

I just realized that this will leave the coating inside the torx and groves.

I would give Easy-Off oven cleaner a try.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019