Recommendation? ZT 0566 vs PM 2 CPM-S110v

0566 vs PM 2

• Total voters
Hello!

I made an account just for asking this question, because I haven't been active in the knife world for a couple of years and I may be unaware of some stuff that could be relevant to my question.

I recently lost my EDC folding knife, the Kershaw 1760 Skyline.

I have narrowed my choices down to 2 options:

Zero Tolerance 0566 and the Spyderco Paramilitary 2 (with CPM-S110V and Dark Blue G10 scales)

0566 is 150€ and the PM 2 is 204€

I don't necessarily need a steel that is as premium as the S110V is, but it wouldn't hurt.

So, is the PM 2 worth the 54€ increase in price?

It kind of depends. I had an 0566cf and it was a well built knife, I just wasn’t a fan of the assisted opening, and deassisting it didn’t work all that well with mine. I still have my S30V PM2, and while I don’t know if I can say it’s built any better than the ZT, I did find it to be a better knife. The PM2’s geometry is much better for slicing, it isn’t nearly as heavy in the pocket, and I actually enjoyed “flipping” it more than the 0566.

I’d go with the PM2. I won’t say the 0566 is a bad knife by any stretch, it’s just different. If you like assisted knives you’ll probably like it, but it is heavy as it’s a steel frame lock and not titanium like the 0562.

What made you not like the assisted opening? When I was flipping my Skyline I could've used some assistance. It seems that the PM 2 is 39g lighter than the 0566, did it make that big of a difference, the 39g?

It kind of depends. I had an 0566cf and it was a well built knife, I just wasn’t a fan of the assisted opening, and deassisting it didn’t work all that well with mine. I still have my S30V PM2, and while I don’t know if I can say it’s built any better than the ZT, I did find it to be a better knife. The PM2’s geometry is much better for slicing, it isn’t nearly as heavy in the pocket, and I actually enjoyed “flipping” it more than the 0566.

I’d go with the PM2. I won’t say the 0566 is a bad knife by any stretch, it’s just different. If you like assisted knives you’ll probably like it, but it is heavy as it’s a steel frame lock and not titanium like the 0562.

What made you not like the assisted opening? When I was flipping my Skyline I could've used some assistance. It seems that the PM 2 is 39g lighter than the 0566, did it make that big of a difference, the 39g?

The assisted aspect is entirely personal, some people love them, some people don’t, not to mention everyone else in the middle. I don’t mind them, but if you gave me the option of assisted or unassisted, I’d choose the latter every time.

As for the weight.. You can definitely feel the difference. The 0566 feels really good in hand, that heft is a bonus then, but in pocket it’s a bit of a drag. I wouldn’t carry it in shorts at all, for fear of losing it because of the deep carry clip and the smooth lock side. In jeans or pants it’s not as noticeable.

I’d pick the ZT0566 if I needed a good work knife. Elmax steel is easy to sharpen, won’t be prone to chipping or breaking as easily as S110V.
I’d pick the PM2 if I wanted a good slicer that will hold a good edge for a long time. Is the PM2 worth the extra money?, that’s entirely subjective and depends on your day to day use.

What Ajack60 Ajack60 said is definitely true. I didn’t go into the steel at all, but that should be a deciding factor as well.

I voted ZT 566. Both are great knives from great companies. Myself, I'd go ZT and save the extra $.

AO is a personal thing, you can always de-assist it.

Reactions: vba
The value of the 0566 is seriously underrated in my opinion. If I had to, I’d be happy to carry that knife and that knife only from now on. I have only handled the PM2 and can’t quite understand the fascination. To each their own.

The ZT is a great solid knife I really wouldn't worry about hurting. Everything is beefier on it. However, I am a huge fan of Spyderco's Paramilitary 2, no matter the steel. It fits my hand better. It's lighter than the 0566 & having the lock on the back of the knife keeps your fingers out of harms way. That's a major MAJOR plus for me. I don't think the PM2's blade will handle some of the more serious cutting tasks as well, but for opening boxes, envelopes, cutting up fruit & veggies & medium chores, the PM2 is the way to go. Now I will say that I came across a vendor on everyone's favorite online auction site & I was able to buy 2 brand new in the box PM2's with S110V blades for $131.76 each shipped. Which to me is a great price. If you need a heavier duty knife, go ZT. For anything less, go PM2

I've owned both and still own that exact PM2, it was actually my first Spyderco so it has sentimental value and will always remain in my collection. It's a great knife and makes a perfect EDC for most individuals. I've gravitated towards smaller, lighter EDC knives for my office carry through the week, Para 3, Bugout, 0450cf, Native, Delica etc..

The 0566 would be almost perfect if it wasn't for the AO. I do own a ZT 0562cf and it's probably one of my favorite knives in my collection.

That being said I'd go with the PM2 over the 0566.

I think the PM2 has the best feel in hand during use (ergonomics) of any edc on the market.
And it can be opened slowly or quickly. Other than a switchblade, I can t think of a type of knife that s going to draw more attention from bystanders than an assisted flipper.
I would consider a PM2 in s35vn steel. Less money and a fine steel.

I’d pick the ZT0566 if I needed a good work knife. Elmax steel is easy to sharpen, won’t be prone to chipping or breaking as easily as S110V.
I’d pick the PM2 if I wanted a good slicer that will hold a good edge for a long time. Is the PM2 worth the extra money?, that’s entirely subjective and depends on your day to day use.

Elmax? The version I'm looking at has CPM-S35VN which I've heard is slightly better than Elmax.

The ZT is a great solid knife I really wouldn't worry about hurting. Everything is beefier on it. However, I am a huge fan of Spyderco's Paramilitary 2, no matter the steel. It fits my hand better. It's lighter than the 0566 & having the lock on the back of the knife keeps your fingers out of harms way. That's a major MAJOR plus for me. I don't think the PM2's blade will handle some of the more serious cutting tasks as well, but for opening boxes, envelopes, cutting up fruit & veggies & medium chores, the PM2 is the way to go. Now I will say that I came across a vendor on everyone's favorite online auction site & I was able to buy 2 brand new in the box PM2's with S110V blades for $131.76 each shipped. Which to me is a great price. If you need a heavier duty knife, go ZT. For anything less, go PM2

I am working at a construction site and sometimes I need another blade if my box cutter isn't available. As they say in United States of A: 2 is 1, 1 is none.

I have both (although my pm2 is in S30v). If you need a knife that is going to encounter non-knife use, get the zt. If you cut things and only cut things, PM2.

Or get both and carry both, then you will be ready for any situation.

Elmax? The version I'm looking at has CPM-S35VN which I've heard is slightly better than Elmax.

You heard wrong, friend. Not huge differences but elmax is tougher with better wear resistance and is almost as corrosion resistant

I love both knives but to echo everyone else it really depends on what your usage will be. Like everyone's already said the PM2 is way slicier and maybe better ergos for many, but the ZT is an almost indestructible feeling tank lol. I de-assisted my 0566 as soon as it arrived and its possibly my favorite knife I own, it definitely gets the most work carry time lately. I took a few pics for comparison for ya ;)

Back