ZT 2018 LINEUP

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by ridnovir, Dec 11, 2017.

1. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Yes - ZT liners rust after I flush the knife under tap water. Hairdryer blowing has limited effect on water/moisture between steel liners and cf/g10 scales. This is why gradually I try not to flush folders unless absolutely necessary, or I simply take it apart to clean and lube.

2. shinyedges

shinyedges Unfaltering Love & Undeviating Will Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 5, 2012
    The rusting tells me it isn't a 300 series steel. Maybe 400 series, I should call and them.

3. shinyedges

shinyedges Unfaltering Love & Undeviating Will Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 5, 2012
    I called them, they said 420 steel for liners. Which is in line with what I assumed.

4. Mick_1KRR

Mick_1KRR

May 1, 2016
    I can also testify to this, I've seen rust on almost all of their models with steel liners. And the ones i saw had not even been flushed under water for cleaning, they just seem to use cheap rust prone steel for liners.

5. shinyedges

Jun 5, 2012
    300 series is more corrosion resistance but more expensive.

I wonder if it's j2..

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  6. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    Since most of them have ball bearings I have taken to just running them dry without lube. Honestly the lube attracts dirt and dust which can hold moisture. They run fine on just the bbs with no lube.

Insipid Moniker likes this.
  7. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    I so far have only had rust form on the liner between the liner and the scale. The side that is on facing the blade seems to get better air flow so I haven’t had rust issues there.

Apparently coating the stainless with a product like frog lube helps problem.

8. shinyedges

Jun 5, 2012
    I have been doing the same for years. No issues.

9. RamZar

RamZar Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2013
    That’s a biggie these days with others increasing their street prices.

10. shinyedges

Jun 5, 2012
    Absolutely. Not to be overlooked, zt holds steady while others raise prices. AND sends clips, pivots, screws and other things for free.

11. RamZar

Mar 3, 2013
    It’s not apparent in the pictures from the ZT website or catalog probably due to the G-10 overlay covering the screw that holds the steel lock bar insert in place. Both the website and catalog indicate a titanium frame lock with hardened steel lockbar insert.

12. RamZar

Mar 3, 2013
    ZT does not charge for standard steel screws, pivots, standoffs and clips. However, they do charge for premium parts.

13. shinyedges

Jun 5, 2012
    This intrigues me, I didn't know that. What do they charge for a titanium clip for say an 804cf? I have never needed another clip so I have no idea.

14. abbazaba

abbazaba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2015
    It's low, email them. Some of the "premium" stuff I've asked them for was barely more than the shipping (that they don't charge for).

shinyedges likes this.
  15. goldie

goldie

Feb 18, 2000
    This 0609 looks great the other is a version of the hinderer 392 ; this model is a 393,same steel as the 609 20cv;looks like blue ti scales carbon fiber overlay?. Gotta get that 0609!. [​IMG]

16. F22shift

F22shift

Mar 1, 2017
    Prices seem competitive but I dunno, I’m just bored with these designs. I feel like the Chinese collabs with designers are more interesting nowadays.
    Also had rust on my zt and my friend did as well so eh. They should have used titanium liner if they are using a titanium scale. Just seemed like cheap cost cutting.
    Last year I was interested in the zt055 when they announced but it took so long that I lost interest and forfeit my preorder deposit. I hope not the same this year.

17. RamZar

Mar 3, 2013
    I think the most expensive parts like the milled and DLC-coated titanium clip of the 0804CF are $25 which includes shipping charges.

shinyedges likes this.
  18. nick21

nick21

Feb 22, 2014
    I hope more companies make the switch from AUS-8/8cr13 to D2. I know I shouldn't get my hopes up from a single model, but still

As far as ZT goes, I am fine with all 3 but I guess I'm easy to please. Definitely not a mind blowing showing, but not abysmal.

Solidly mediocre I guess?

19. Nautique

Nautique

May 15, 2016
    Weak

20. halden.doerge

halden.doerge I'll Sharpen Your Knife Gold Member

Aug 17, 2014
    I may be warming up to the 609 a little bit, especially price considered. The handle ergos and the pocket clip will probably end up being the deciding factors on that one.