ZT 2018 LINEUP

Truth. The stainless liners under zts scales rust. I've seen it on every one of their knives that has a liner. Hence why I prefer linerless.

Yes - ZT liners rust after I flush the knife under tap water. Hairdryer blowing has limited effect on water/moisture between steel liners and cf/g10 scales. This is why gradually I try not to flush folders unless absolutely necessary, or I simply take it apart to clean and lube.

Yes - ZT liners rust after I flush the knife under tap water. Hairdryer blowing has limited effect on water/moisture between steel liners and cf/g10 scales. This is why gradually I try not to flush folders unless absolutely necessary, or I simply take it apart to clean and lube.
The rusting tells me it isn't a 300 series steel. Maybe 400 series, I should call and them.

I called them, they said 420 steel for liners. Which is in line with what I assumed.

I can also testify to this, I've seen rust on almost all of their models with steel liners. And the ones i saw had not even been flushed under water for cleaning, they just seem to use cheap rust prone steel for liners.

300 series is more corrosion resistance but more expensive.

I wonder if it's j2..

Last edited:
I called them, they said 420 steel for liners. Which is in line with what I assumed.

Since most of them have ball bearings I have taken to just running them dry without lube. Honestly the lube attracts dirt and dust which can hold moisture. They run fine on just the bbs with no lube.

I can also testify to this, I've seen rust on almost all of their models with steel liners. And the ones i saw had not even been flushed under water for cleaning, they just seem to use cheap rust prone steel for liners.

I so far have only had rust form on the liner between the liner and the scale. The side that is on facing the blade seems to get better air flow so I haven’t had rust issues there.

Apparently coating the stainless with a product like frog lube helps problem.

Since most of them have ball bearings I have taken to just running them dry without lube. Honestly the lube attracts dirt and dust which can hold moisture. They run fine on just the bbs with no lube.
I have been doing the same for years. No issues.

The spec sheet says the 0393 has a steel lock insert..... not seeing it?

It’s not apparent in the pictures from the ZT website or catalog probably due to the G-10 overlay covering the screw that holds the steel lock bar insert in place. Both the website and catalog indicate a titanium frame lock with hardened steel lockbar insert.

Absolutely. Not to be overlooked, zt holds steady while others raise prices. AND sends clips, pivots, screws and other things for free.

ZT does not charge for standard steel screws, pivots, standoffs and clips. However, they do charge for premium parts.

ZT does not charge for standard steel screws, pivots, standoffs and clips. However, they do charge for premium parts.
This intrigues me, I didn't know that. What do they charge for a titanium clip for say an 804cf? I have never needed another clip so I have no idea.

This intrigues me, I didn't know that. What do they charge for a titanium clip for say an 804cf? I have never needed another clip so I have no idea.

It's low, email them. Some of the "premium" stuff I've asked them for was barely more than the shipping (that they don't charge for).

This 0609 looks great the other is a version of the hinderer 392 ; this model is a 393,same steel as the 609 20cv;looks like blue ti scales carbon fiber overlay?. Gotta get that 0609!.
20180123_ZT-New-Banner_Homepage_Banner_889x491.jpg

Last edited:
Prices seem competitive but I dunno, I’m just bored with these designs. I feel like the Chinese collabs with designers are more interesting nowadays.
Also had rust on my zt and my friend did as well so eh. They should have used titanium liner if they are using a titanium scale. Just seemed like cheap cost cutting.
Last year I was interested in the zt055 when they announced but it took so long that I lost interest and forfeit my preorder deposit. I hope not the same this year.

I think the most expensive parts like the milled and DLC-coated titanium clip of the 0804CF are $25 which includes shipping charges.

I hope more companies make the switch from AUS-8/8cr13 to D2. I know I shouldn't get my hopes up from a single model, but still

As far as ZT goes, I am fine with all 3 but I guess I'm easy to please. Definitely not a mind blowing showing, but not abysmal.

Solidly mediocre I guess?

Last edited:
I may be warming up to the 609 a little bit, especially price considered. The handle ergos and the pocket clip will probably end up being the deciding factors on that one.

Back