ZT 2018 LINEUP

Zero Tolerance normally doesn't release new models mid year normally, just sprint runs. The sad part is, with my currently ZT collection I can't even think of any limited edition/spring runs they could come out when I want to buy. The reason I think ZT gets more flak is because they release less models that competitors (look at how many models BM releases) and they discontinue models more often. Thus, more likely that the highly liked models(0301,0560) are discontinued and replaced with models that are extremely different. One of the thing that bothers me this year is that unlike many 2017 models and the 0462 which IMO are just bad designs & knife art, the 0609 and 0393 have good potential, but by the overly colourful/"artsy" finish to them ruins them as a hard use/practical knife. Why couldn't the 0393 just be black DLC coated frame, OD Green G10, and a DLC coated blade or blackwash?
I don't think the garish colors preclude anyone from using these ZTs hard, but you might look funny doing so I suppose. I agree that I would by FAR rather see more subdued colors from ZT. Maybe more color and finish options from ZT would be a good idea.

Great job from ZT. Love the 20cv.

I would imagine the sparse choice makes business sense.My guess is the budget side is killin it. We are niche.

Owning a 606CF - the 0609 is awesome - handled a proto at blade and it is smaller - a little smaller than I usually like to carry, but with the RJ handle contours it fills the palm of the hand nicely. Should be a great knife and I have always liked the RJ Martin designs - just subjective on my part, but I am sure ZT delivers on the execution.

The Hinderer will allow people that didn't get a 392 to enter the fray - and I can't help but think there will be variations of both collaborations - it's not like ZT / Kai has a history of resting on their laurels.

Love the Bareknuckle - and the copper Natrix - I have last year's standard Natrix and my knife was quality built and has been a great user. I just love the feel of copper - should be a good one for me but of course not for everyone.

I have not had a need to dis-assemble my 0606 - but if I did, I would use my snap-ring pliers to work as a spanner - not sure what all the complaining about "special tools" is about - certainly not from people who actually WORK on things. You have to make due with what you have sometimes. Adapt and overcome, that or whine and pull the covers up to your chin.

best

mqqn

Owning a 606CF - the 0609 is awesome - handled a proto at blade and it is smaller - a little smaller than I usually like to carry, but with the RJ handle contours it fills the palm of the hand nicely. Should be a great knife and I have always liked the RJ Martin designs - just subjective on my part, but I am sure ZT delivers on the execution.

The Hinderer will allow people that didn't get a 392 to enter the fray - and I can't help but think there will be variations of both collaborations - it's not like ZT / Kai has a history of resting on their laurels.

Love the Bareknuckle - and the copper Natrix - I have last year's standard Natrix and my knife was quality built and has been a great user. I just love the feel of copper - should be a good one for me but of course not for everyone.

I have not had a need to dis-assemble my 0606 - but if I did, I would use my snap-ring pliers to work as a spanner - not sure what all the complaining about "special tools" is about - certainly not from people who actually WORK on things. You have to make due with what you have sometimes. Adapt and overcome, that or whine and pull the covers up to your chin.

best

mqqn
You sound a bit like me. I'm not a ZT fan. I'm not their target demo, clearly, but when it comes to the new 0609 they had me sold at "designed by RJ Martin."

I do wish it wasn't a frame lock though.

Edit: I say "I wish it wasn't a frame lock" like I'd say "I wish the Porsche 911 Turbo didn't try to kill me every time I drive it." I'm still going to drive it of course, I just wish it didn't do that. (I can actually afford the ZT at least.)

I agree I am a huge fan of the 0450, it is my EDC during the week, was really looking for a 0450BLU, maybe a limited run, but I am not impressed at all today. All three knives seem to be geared towards one audience, hopefully their sprint runs will have something exciting.

Take down your 0450 and send the Ti slabs to me. I'll make it blue for you.

Their recently discontinued 0909 by Les George was a fantastic heavy duty user. That knife won me over so well that I picked up a bunch at the $99 close out price for gifts. I might try the new 0609 as a potential "church knife" for when the workhorse 0909 seems out of place. One advantage it has over the 0909 is that they shortened it up just enough to make it Nebraska legal so no worries when crossing the Missouri.

edited: looks like they combined two threads and this response is now a bit out of place since the other posts are not immediately preceding.
I did the same thing you did, I purchased 2 more 0909’s at $99 and gave them to my brothers as gifts. Yes indeed, the 0909 is a workhorse and I carry one on the days that I know will ruin the edge and finish on my 0804 or 0562cf.

I like the offerings that ZT is bringing. They're doing what their most vocal critics have asked them to do: offer a production 0392, bring us an EDC sized RJ Martin and manufacture a production Polychotky! For crying out loud, people! Would you still bash ZT if they gave them away for free? My one criticism is that with these three knives, we're not really seeing anything "new" this year from ZT. I'm a little disappointed with that.

No price increase! That's awesome!

For those dismissing these knives as "weak pocket jewelry"; I have a feeling these blades could outperform your "Proudly Overbuilt" liner locks with torsion bars. I don't mind the colors; there are plenty of black/gray knives in the world to choose from.

I'll probably be on board for a 0609. I say "probably" because at this time last year I knew I needed an 0460 and I never got around to it. I have a 0606 and never carry it because it's just too big. The 0609 fits that niche perfectly. I don't think the pivot tool for the 0609 will fit the 0606 because everything seems about 80% smaller on the 0609. I may order a tool anyway and see what happens. 3.3 ounces is an incredible weight for a knife of this construction.

I might pick up an 0393 but after already owning two flavors of 0392, I'm not sure how much the knife offers me. In a way, the 0393 is kind of a slap in the fact for those folks who bought a 0392 for about $150 more; the 0392 has similar materials, nearly identical dimensions and almost an ounce less weight. I'm assuming that the 0393 isn't compatible with any Hinderer after-market hardware?

After having grown cool on the 0460, I can't see myself getting a larger version of the same knife I could never bring myself to throw knife-dollars at.

Thank you ZT. The 0393 is just about what I wanted, a G10/Ti 0392. Maybe some full G10 scales will become available. The price is good too. I pre-ordered.
I noticed in the photos that there doesn't seem to be as many (or maybe any standoffs). Hoping that the clip can be swapped with original Hinderer pocket clips.

Does anyone have a spine/tip of the Zt 0393? Or if you handled one is it more a stout design blade or slicer?

Does anyone have a spine/tip of the Zt 0393? Or if you handled one is it more a stout design blade or slicer?
The 0393 is a spanto grind, very thick at the tip Spanto is a grind Hinderer made it a combination of a tanto and spanto blade to have a stronger tip. Thus, it is more a stout design over a slicer.

Last edited:
The 0393 is a spanto grind, very thick at the tip Spanto is a grind Hinderer made it a combination of a tanto and spanto blade to have a stronger tip. Thus, it is more a stout design over a slicer.
Thanks, Gideons. But I am well aware of the spanto grind. However, it also looks to have a harpoon grind on top which does take a little meat off the tip.

ZT describes the 0393 blade: "The 0393, based on Rick Hinderer's Maximus, features a harpoon-style version of Rick’s “spanto” blade in CPM 20CV. The blade shape offers maximum cutting power with a sturdy tip for piercing."

Overall, ZT 0393 is a cross between Hinderer's Eklipse (blade and frame) and Maximus (G-10 overlays). The blade shape looks very similar to an Eklipse but not quite as thick.

rick-hinderer-eklipse_scale-side.jpg

0393_1020x400_profile.png

Last edited:
Wondering why there is already conflicting info on the tool for the 0609? In multiple dealer YouTube videos, the rep mentioned multiple times that while the tool does not come with the knife, it would retail for only $10. But the Kershaw site now has it at $25.

Speculation on my part - but the Kershaw web store lists everything at list price and the dealers will be able to sell the tool at a discount I presume.
I did see a video on you-toob that showed that the tool is actually two tools held together by magnets - and interestingly they also hold the tool to the pivot - I thought that was a great idea.

best

mqqn

Agree with mqqn. If you look at ZT or Kershaw's website, the knives are always listed for sale at full MSRP, whereas dealers have a specific range they are able to discount. Tool will likely be $25 on their website, but sell for $10 at retailers. $10 is quite reasonable, assuming you ever need to take it down. With a stainless steel lock insert, you don't actually need to disassemble the knife to clean or lubricate (imo).

I think they should just consider selling the tool with the 0609, just add an extra 5 bucks or something to the MSRP/MAP, and for the Kershaw they can charge extra (Flythrough? Or whatever it was called). Seems like a logical step for me.

I like that 462. I'd wanted to get a 460, but that huge logo on the blade put me off, and I already have a 450 so the 460 would have been a bit redundant. The 462 loses the logo, and is a good deal larger, so it may make it's way into my collection this year.

I think they should just consider selling the tool with the 0609, just add an extra 5 bucks or something to the MSRP/MAP, and for the Kershaw they can charge extra (Flythrough? Or whatever it was called). Seems like a logical step for me.

Exactly. Or maybe they think some owners of the knife will never need to touch the pivot? :oops:

So disappointed in the 2018 offerings I bought a 2017 one, a 0801ti.....have to blow off steam somehow.

Back