ZT 2018 LINEUP

Glad to hear ZT is taking care of you, I know how frustrating it is to get a new blade and have an issue out of box. I'm sure they will take care of you...post up when you get the issue resolved!

FYI - regarding the 0393, Eklipse standoffs and clip screws are NOT compatible.

Edited to add: XM-18 3.0 pivot screws are compatible, but the head of the screw is thicker than the stock one, and will stick up above the scales.

FYI - regarding the 0393, Eklipse standoffs and clip screws are NOT compatible.

Edited to add: XM-18 3.0 pivot screws are compatible, but the head of the screw is thicker than the stock one, and will stick up above the scales.

Per Jim of KAI, you can use some (not all) hardware from Rick Hinderer:
  • Pivot screws
  • Filler tabs
  • Pocket clips

Check out the video below at the 6:00 time mark.

Yeah I might pick up a 0462. BTW, can any one tell me whats good about the g10 pieces over the ti handle on 0393 other than making the knife busier and seemingly cheaper? Increased traction? None of my full ti handle folders ever slipped.

Any initial impressions of the 0462? Some people must have them by now.

Also, we could start making predictions for the rest of the year. Anybody have anything in mind that might come out? Aside from a 0462BLK with regular CF and all DLC coating and a 0393CF which also surely will come. Most likely 0393's with different blade shapes as well.
I'm locking in:
- Les George Collab, 3.5 Blade, a mix between the 0909/0900 and 0920
- Emerson Collab, 3.5 Blade, something like the Sheepdog with a Clippoint/Bowie Blade
- High End Skyline, CF, 20CV
- Dagger Style Flipper, based loosely on the Maximus, Limited Edition.
- Wildcard: New Fixed Blade

Last edited:
ZT does not appeal to me at all. It's like they're confused about what they're trying to be. A lot of people will disagree with me and that's fine, it's just my opinion. They honestly just seem to come up with the flashiest pocket jewelry they can, throw some bearings on it and make it a good flipper and it'll sell.

They used to be folding pry bars, but that was their niche and it worked. If that's what you needed or wanted, you got it and it worked. They didn't cut well but they were strong as hell and did do cutting tasks well enough if you were patient with it.

Now they aren't overbuilt, and they still don't really cut that well. Their S35VN is pretty disappointing in the edge retention department also. I'm glad they're moving away from it. Even still, they aren't over built and some of them don't really cut that well....so what purpose do they serve? If all you do it cut strings off your jeans and slice an apple or steak at dinner time, then it'll do just fine. But that's not what my knives get used for.

I also dislike that EVERYTHING has to have bearings. If anyone has actually used a bearing knife outside...you know...to do actual work - they're AWFUL. They will get dirt in the bearing race and they will instantly seize up or become so gritty that you're scared to open it and close it before washing it out. I much prefer washers because they're basically immune to getting trash in the pivot, you only have to worry about the detent.

Again this is just my opinion on the matter but I wish they'd move to more practical designs with actual use being the sole priority. I'm not into flashy pocket jewelry or a fidget toy to flip all day.

I'll reiterate again, this is just MY opinion and you're free to disagree. I honestly couldn't care less if you disagree and think I'm 100% wrong, so flame away.

Last edited:
Sounds like you aren't their target audience. That's OK.
I believe the 0850 does not use bearings.

The framelock flipper on bearings is certainly a trend across the industry without an end in sight. Like you said, many of these knives are optimized for the action and style rather than function. They are toys. Hey, look at fidget spinners. I still can't believe that's a thing.
But since I have function well covered I don't mind the knife jewelry.

Also, we could start making predictions for the rest of the year. Anybody have anything in mind that might come out? Aside from a 0462BLK with regular CF and all DLC coating and a 0393CF which also surely will come. Most likely 0393's with different blade shapes as well.
I'm locking in:
- Les George Collab, 3.5 Blade, a mix between the 0909/0900 and 0920
- Emerson Collab, 3.5 Blade, something like the Sheepdog with a Clippoint/Bowie Blade
- High End Skyline, CF, 20CV
- Dagger Style Flipper, based loosely on the Maximus, Limited Edition.
- Wildcard: New Fixed Blade

I'd be interested in hearing based on what you say it "surely will come" and what would be the retail price like? I'd buy one but no more than $240

I only like pocket jewelry. If a knife is useful to cut things I want no part of it. I also couldn't care less if anyone disagrees.

ZT does not appeal to me at all. It's like they're confused about what they're trying to be. A lot of people will disagree with me and that's fine, it's just my opinion. They honestly just seem to come up with the flashiest pocket jewelry they can, throw some bearings on it and make it a good flipper and it'll sell.

They used to be folding pry bars, but that was their niche and it worked. If that's what you needed or wanted, you got it and it worked. They didn't cut well but they were strong as hell and did do cutting tasks well enough if you were patient with it.

Now they aren't overbuilt, and they still don't really cut that well. Their S35VN is pretty disappointing in the edge retention department also. I'm glad they're moving away from it. Even still, they aren't over built and some of them don't really cut that well....so what purpose do they serve? If all you do it cut strings off your jeans and slice an apple or steak at dinner time, then it'll do just fine. But that's not what my knives get used for.

I also dislike that EVERYTHING has to have bearings. If anyone has actually used a bearing knife outside...you know...to do actual work - they're AWFUL. They will get dirt in the bearing race and they will instantly seize up or become so gritty that you're scared to open it and close it before washing it out. I much prefer washers because they're basically immune to getting trash in the pivot, you only have to worry about the detent.

Again this is just my opinion on the matter but I wish they'd move to more practical designs with actual use being the sole priority. I'm not into flashy pocket jewelry or a fidget toy to flip all day.

I'll reiterate again, this is just MY opinion and you're free to disagree. I honestly couldn't care less if you disagree and think I'm 100% wrong, so flame away.

While I share some of your opinions here, there are ZTs that cut quite well and not just pocket jewelry.

The bearing vs washer debate. Yes - it seems ball bearing could get gritty easier than washers. But knives with ball bearings seem to exhibit much less side to side play - you can over-tighten the pivot but the knife remains very smooth, which is hardly the case with knives of washers.

"Cutting better" really depends on the materials being cut. Paper and veggie and even meat without bones, yes - the thinner the blade the better a cutter it is. Wires, hard plastic hoses, roof shingles, (and I am not going to the car doors), not necessarily the thinner the better.

"Over-built" is really relative. Compared to 0350 and 0200, most current ZTs might not be over built. But compared to most other brands, ZT is still among the most over built folders.

"Pocket jewelry" can co-exist with "over-built" and functionality.

Of course, these are just my opinions.

I'd be interested in hearing based on what you say it "surely will come" and what would be the retail price like? I'd buy one but no more than $240

Pure biased assumption :D , it is essentially made to be customized. Going by the 0562 and 0392 alone it seems like a sure thing there will be variations.

Back