ZT noob with a few questions

Greetings

I've had quite an education in the last 24 hours... It started with the thread about the 0801. Wow, what a slick looking knife! The video by sticktodrum (?) was great. The 0801 is rapidly headed toward the top of my want list.
After some digging, I've learned that Elmax is a type of steel, what a burnt edge is, how the Speed Safe AO works, among other things.

I do still have some questions that I'm having trouble finding answers to or understanding. Would someone explain what makes a knife a "flipper?" What is a "detent" and why the depth of the detent is it important? Ball bearing washers and KVT?

Any help or a point in the right direction would be appreciated.

Fred

The detent is the springy force that keeps the knife from opening up on you... Essentially when a knife *snaps* closed. I always thought that was the detent.

As for the flipper... A knife is a flipper if you use a flipper to open it. It may or may not be assisted opening.

A flipper is a protrusion from the bottom of the blade. When closed, you push the flipper to open the knife quickly, and when open it serves as a small guard to keep your fingers from sliding up the blade.

A detent keeps the blade in the closed position, so it doesn't flop open in your pocket.

KVT is washers with ball bearings in them, helping the knife open smoothly.

KVT (ball bearings) is by far my favorite feature in any knife. I love how smooth it is

If you want to know more about all the details of a folding knife's detent, then search Google/forums/books for information on knife construction. Gareth Bull has a WIP (work in progress) thread explaining how he builds a liner-lock folder. Bob Terzuola has a great book on liner-lock knife construction. Browsing the knifemaker sections of the forums is a great resource too.

For example?

The Velox from Michael Vagnino!

photo2_zps7e27c8ac.jpg

photo8.jpg

That's what drew me to order one, only knife I have seen like it... if it ever gets here...

KVT (ball bearings) is by far my favorite feature in any knife. I love how smooth it is

I second that!!! Love my 0561 with the kvt awesome knife super smooth. it also has a flipper and great detent not too much not too little imo the got it perfect! and who doesnt love 3d machined TI!!!!

a flipper is a jerk who buys all the good knives and screws the fans and sells them at jacked up prices... Oh, you meant the kind of knife, my bad, yeah they rock!! They are addictive.:eek:

Thanks to all those who replied. Sad to see this group shut down. We'll just have to pick it up elsewhere.

Fred

Back