Zt vs traditional emerson

Do any of you guys have the zt0630? If you do how do you rate it against a regular Emerson? I'm integued to the Emerson knives and its hard to pull the trigger on one. His knives seem to have a certain class to them compare to some others out there

I do own a 0630 and love it. The only Emerson I've owned was a combat karambit, so my experience is limited in that department. For me it came down to lock and steel. I prefer Ti framelock over liner lock and S35VN over 154CM.

The ZT's great knives and you get a lot for your money with them for sure. I had the 0620 cf for a while and sold it. Great knife just didn't do it for me. Still have 6 Emerson's though.

Something to consider with the ZT is it is a lot heavier than an Emerson. Even Emerson's frame lock knives are a lot lighter than the ZT knives. Also is you opt for one of the ZT's with m390 or cts204p they will be a challenge to get sharp again if you let the edge get to far gone. The s35vn is a little easier to keep sharp but YMMV.

I've owned ZTs in the past, not the collabs but the 0560 and the 0350. I've experienced a lot of different brands, steels, grinds, and lock types. For me, Emerson is the company I will always rely on and go back to. I've used and abused my CQC-15 and the lock has never failed me and the edge has never chipped out. They are great knives. They are simple and may not use the latest and greatest steels or fancy materials, but they are reliable and tough.

I've owned ZTs in the past, not the collabs but the 0560 and the 0350. I've experienced a lot of different brands, steels, grinds, and lock types. For me, Emerson is the company I will always rely on and go back to. I've used and abused my CQC-15 and the lock has never failed me and the edge has never chipped out. They are great knives. They are simple and may not use the latest and greatest steels or fancy materials, but they are reliable and tough.

They are not the best slicers.

And the ZTs are?

I had a 0620 and thought it was a beautiful, very well made, quality knife. But, it felt like a brick compared to my 7, GJ and Persian.

Still have an itch to check out the 0630 though and see if the blade shape makes up for the heft. Will still probably go for a 13 first though.

And the ZTs are?

I had a 0620 and thought it was a beautiful, very well made, quality knife. But, it felt like a brick compared to my 7, GJ and Persian.

Still have an itch to check out the 0630 though and see if the blade shape makes up for the heft. Will still probably go for a 13 first though.

I don't think anyone mentioned slicing ability, but, yeah they don't slice the greatest but that isn't what they are designed for either.

Slice what, carrots? I do that in the kitchen. I don't find myself needing anything sliced paper thin on my streets or streams.

The ZT/EKI collabs I've handled have been markedly and obviously a click or two below Emerson quality IMO, but the Kershaw collabs are even more noticeably apart and, in some cases, spec--The blades seem thinner in the Kersh collabs, maybe it's just me. Overall the collabs are fine though. Not like they are trash by any means. If someone likes one there's no reason to stay away from it.

I've owned ZT's from 0560/561 on down. They are good knives and have their place, particularly among the more style conscious. They offer a variety of steels as well if you're into that.

I prefer Emersons over ZT's and have gradually sold my ZT's. My long time experience with Emersons has been that they are tougher than ZT's and far easier to maintain. Certainly lighter in weight. And you can't deny the warranty even if you don't care about such things. They even encourage you to disassemble the knife. For me that says a lot and it has proven so for me in actual experience. Keep in mind this is from the perspective of mostly hard outdoor use vs. urban carry over time, 70/30. Someone who carries more for 'city' or more of an urban use background may see it entirely differently.

As far as being afraid of buying one, Emersons do have a certain mystique and learning curve to them, IMO more than any other brand or line. I can only liken it to Harley-Davidson. A lot of people DON'T see in Emersons what many of us do. You have to be very patient with an Emerson when it's new, but it's likely to become a beautiful butterfly once it takes wing. Remember that if you try one.

Do any of you guys have the zt0630? If you do how do you rate it against a regular Emerson? I'm integued to the Emerson knives and its hard to pull the trigger on one. His knives seem to have a certain class to them compare to some others out there

I do believe you get it...

Last edited:
I'm not gonna sugarcoat it, and anyone that knows me here knows that I love my Emersons. However, and I'm probably gonna get some backlash for from this, my ZT620CF is more solid than any Emerson I've ever gotten. Not counting my framelock conversions, the standard linerlock and 0.125" bladestock configuration just doesn't measure up to it. The whole 154CM steel being easier to sharpen is valid, but seriously...I would rather have my knife stay sharper longer by having a better steel.

What makes me love my Emerson knives though, is that they just seem to have a soul. The ones I have are wonderfully designed, despite the abhorrent wrong-side grind. This makes me want to carry and use them more, and then get them customized to make them really my own, which makes me want to carry and use them more :)

19414596163_1f76a81a0e_b.jpg

20009344226_568dc49eb5_b.jpg

I love Emersons, I have 8. I think they are the sexiest knives made. Overall as far as build I think ZTs get the edge mainly because of the locks. The 0630 is a great knife.

Last edited:
I'm not gonna sugarcoat it, and anyone that knows me here knows that I love my Emersons. However, and I'm probably gonna get some backlash for from this, my ZT620CF is more solid than any Emerson I've ever gotten. Not counting my framelock conversions, the standard linerlock and 0.125" bladestock configuration just doesn't measure up to it......

Not unusual at all for a titanium framelock to feel/be more solid than a G-10 liner lock. It would be unusual if it didn't. ZT's are solid,heavy well-built frame-lock knives. Emersons and ZT's are two different things.

Well, the OP did ask how the ZT/EKI collab knives rated against the regular Emersons. I just expressed my opinions based on what I've experienced, and how I've dealt with it in my own way.

I pulled the trigger and got a used cqc 7 used here in the forum. Thanks for the input guys

I'm not gonna sugarcoat it, and anyone that knows me here knows that I love my Emersons. However, and I'm probably gonna get some backlash for from this, my ZT620CF is more solid than any Emerson I've ever gotten. Not counting my framelock conversions, the standard linerlock and 0.125" bladestock configuration just doesn't measure up to it. The whole 154CM steel being easier to sharpen is valid, but seriously...I would rather have my knife stay sharper longer by having a better steel.
My opinion mirrors yours 100%. I own multiple Emersons and love their design, ergonomics and G10. That being said, I had my CQC-10 and Combat Karambit converted to framelocks as I much prefer them to liner locks. But my ZT0620CF is a nicer knife. I don't find M390 particularly difficult to sharpen since I use a Wicked Edge. It took longer to reprofile it, but maintenance is very easy. I loved the look of the carbon fiber, but it's too slick a handle material for my tastes. Luckily for me, I was able to swap it for a G10 scale from a ZT0630. Now it's my EDC.

I have handled the ZT collabs and they just didn't feel "right" for me. For my money, I would rather have an actual Emerson. YMMV

Slice what, carrots? I do that in the kitchen. I don't find myself needing anything sliced paper thin on my streets or streams.

The ZT/EKI collabs I've handled have been markedly and obviously a click or two below Emerson quality IMO, but the Kershaw collabs are even more noticeably apart and, in some cases, spec--The blades seem thinner in the Kersh collabs, maybe it's just me. Overall the collabs are fine though. Not like they are trash by any means. If someone likes one there's no reason to stay away from it.

I've owned ZT's from 0560/561 on down. They are good knives and have their place, particularly among the more style conscious. They offer a variety of steels as well if you're into that.

I prefer Emersons over ZT's and have gradually sold my ZT's. My long time experience with Emersons has been that they are tougher than ZT's and far easier to maintain. Certainly lighter in weight. And you can't deny the warranty even if you don't care about such things. They even encourage you to disassemble the knife. For me that says a lot and it has proven so for me in actual experience. Keep in mind this is from the perspective of mostly hard outdoor use vs. urban carry over time, 70/30. Someone who carries more for 'city' or more of an urban use background may see it entirely differently.

As far as being afraid of buying one, Emersons do have a certain mystique and learning curve to them, IMO more than any other brand or line. I can only liken it to Harley-Davidson. A lot of people DON'T see in Emersons what many of us do. You have to be very patient with an Emerson when it's new, but it's likely to become a beautiful butterfly once it takes wing. Remember that if you try one.

I do believe you get it...

The ZT Emersons a click below Emerson knives in quality? You have got to me kidding me. Please have your eyes checked.

The ZT Emersons a click below Emerson knives in quality? You have got to me kidding me. Please have your eyes checked.

I agree... the Kershaw collabs are garbage imo but the Zts are very high quality for a non custom knife in their price range

Now im really excited for my cqc-7 to get here. All I have to reference it to is my Kershaw collaboration which I liked but really starting to think is to heavy and numb feeling if you knife what I mean, it's the 4xl version I believe

Back