ZT0456 Detent Ball Diameter?

Does anyone know the diameter of the detent ball in the ZT0456? I somehow damaged mine while I had it apart for re-anodizing. I need to somehow remove the old chipped one, and press fit a new one. I'm not sure if ZT would sell me one, or even do the repair for that matter. If at all possible, I'd like to "attempt" to do the repair on my own, though may be an expensive class to take by this blind and very stubborn hobbyist.

I think the design with knives that have the ball pressed into the steel plate is better for slightly more advanced maintenance. But the ZT's have a very thin peddistool milled in the Ti for the ball to be fit onto, then the steel plate fits around it.

Any suggestions for the best way to remove the damaged ball? I'm guessing that press fitting the new ball will be the easiest of the two processes, but I'm sure to get my butt kicked by both.

I would fill out a parts form on their website and submit it. They may just send you a new one.

Just did that. Now need to figure out how to remove the chipped ball. Any suggestions?

No luck with full through hole. That would be too easy.

wjz1s.jpg

6s3uat.jpg

izqknn.jpg

2mpe4r7.jpg

2nbvfgz.jpg

2a0no7r.jpg

It's .062" diameter and you can remove the detent ball by soaking it in ferric chloride acid over night. Replace with another stainless steel ball, not ceramic. But that ball looks fine just flatten it a little to smooth it out and you will be good to go.

It's chipped and flattened enough that there is a lot of movement in closed position. Not just a little rattle. Maybe smacked it or dropped and over pressed?

It's chipped and flattened enough that there is a lot of movement in closed position. Not just a little rattle. Maybe smacked it or dropped and over pressed?
Oh good point... Was hard to tell from the pics yeah you are right need to remove and reinstall

Back