Zubeng Tang/Jian Sword Review

Hi all,

THis is my first post here so a little introduction and then onto a review of my latest commission.

I have been studying and collecting mostly custom swords for over a decade. I teach and train in ZNKR Iaido, Jodo, Muso Shinden Ryu Iai and Shinto Muso Ryu Jo (sounds like a lot but it really is only two martial arts and they really form one.

Anyway I have always been fascinated by the Chinese arts and their association as predecessor to the Japanese arts both martial and craftwise.

A pic to start with and then the story!

IMG_8384.jpg

IMG_8382.jpg

After seeing threads on various forums by Master Rich Chen on his traditional sword making I decided to contact him about a Jian commission.

We had numerous discussions as I really had a stereotypical Jian in mind and I thought to discuss and negotiate what “I” wanted. Master Chen was very polite and direct, he said “There are many ways, I have my way” or words to that effect and went on to discuss what he does and why.

I tried to get the price down (I am embarrassed to admit) and Master Chen was very friendly, polite and thanked me for my interest in real Chinese swords and said that he hoped that one day I would own one of his swords.

I understand that Master Chen has been approached by the Chinese government to make swords for heads of state, presidents from other countries etc for special presentations. I tossed and turned and spent quite a bit of time considering this large purchase. I realised that here is a man with such passion, knowledge and skills in his craft and here I am haggling over price and details!

Anyway I realised that I was talking with a man with great honour and sent an email to ask a couple more questions to clarify some points and then proceed.

I didn’t hear back from him for a few days I sent another couple of emails – I can’t remember exactly and assumed that he just got tired of this foreigners tiresome questions. ( I later found out that the constant black-outs and loss of power had caused the break in conversation ) During this time I decided to contact another high end smith and commissioned and paid for a very expensive and high end Jian.

The following day, I received an email from Master Chen apologising for the delay in response and explaining what had happened – ahhhhhhhghhhh. Bloody hell I had just spent a great deal of money on what will certainly be a great sword… but, the more I thought about his swords made from iron sand the more I desired one.

I sold quite few things scraped together the 50% deposit and the job was started. If my wife ever finds out I will find out first hand how sharp the sword is!!!

I have always thought that with commissions from people like Patrick Barta, Jake Powning, Vince Evans, John Lundemo and other best of the best of the Western style smiths that the wisest thing is let them have freedom to make what they wanted to make as they are the artists.

I ordered a style from his website but said to him that is there was anything he wanted to do different, then I have complete faith that he will only release a sword that he is 100% happy with.

Now on to the pics of the process. See back to this link for the steel making process as many aspects are the same.

Master Chen performs a bend test on the forged blade

IMG_7357.jpg

Clay coating

post-27321-1248974044.jpg

Clay with charcoal powder.

post-27321-1248974062.jpg

post-27321-1248974076.jpg

Polishing

IMG_7412.jpg

IMG_8355.jpg

Fittings – Hand engraved silver with gold inlay. This design is a one off. The crafting was done by a silversmith friend of Master Chen

IMG_8282-1.jpg

IMG_8283.jpg

IMG_8284.jpg

Chiseling of Master Chen’s signature on the tang

IMG_8312.jpg

IMG_8321.jpg

Certification

IMG_8352.jpg

IMG_8360.jpg

IMG_8378.jpg

I hope to be able to post better pics when the sword arrives later this week.

Cheers

Jason

cool looking sword. Be sure to post more pictures (bigger) when you get it so that we can appreciate it.

Overall Length: 119cm (46.9”)
Length of Blade 79cm (31.1”) (measured from habaki)
PoB: 19cm from Guard (7.5”)

When I received with sword and knowing the journey this has taken nearly brought tears to my eyes, I knew the sword would be superb but this really just blew me away! It FAR exceeds my very high expectations. The fittings are beautifully detailed, I would say them the theme is Sakura (Cherry blossoms) but am not sure if this is the same meaning in Chinese? Silver will tarnish quickly so I think that when the silver takes on the darker tones this will add further character to the sword.

I spent a large amount of money I truly believe that I got a bargain and certainly an Heirloom piece. I think my sword spending is over for a while now but as we all know this collecting passion we have here is an addiction – oh well bread and water for me for a while now!

So here are the pics – hats off to you guys that can photograph swords well because it is sooo difficult! BTW the katanakake is one I made a few years ago from West Australian Jarrah – I will continue my search for a vertical stand.

Sword_on_stand_a.jpg

Sword_02_a.jpg

Sword_01_a.jpg

I have better sharper images if anyone is interested?

That is truly awesome to see and I can only imagine what it must be like to handle. :thumbup:

Thanks mate

It really is a monster of a blade. The mind boggles at the skill needed to forge a flawless straight blade of this size from river sand!

The point of balance makes it feel quite light with one hand but it is certainly a two hander. There is a nice audible swoosh when I swing it. But I wont be doing any tatami or target cutting with this blade, the polish is just too good to cut stuff up with. Having said that I have a Zubeng hunting knife from the same steel that I thoroughly abused last month on a hunting trip in far Eastern Russia. So I feel quite comfortable in saying the quality of the steel is superb.

Cheers

Jase

Back