Zulu Spear blade

waynorth

Dealer / Materials Provider
I have posted this knife before, but can't remember where!!?? My apologies if it is redundant!
In around 1936, Schrade introduced this modified wharncliffe blade. Instead of having a straight edge, the point rises slightly as the edge nears the end of the blade. The arch of the back of the blade has that distinctive Wharcliffe look. It looks cool in a swell center frame!!
When I posted it, someone found a magazine article advertising the Zulu Spear, but I have lost my file on it. Anyway, here is the knife, and the 1936 catalog cut!
Zulu3.jpg

Zulu1.jpg

Zulu2.jpg

ZuluCut.jpg

You can see one rivet was probably overspun, and broke off. Otherwise it's unsharpened/ uncarried.

Wow! What a fine example Charlie! Can't get much better than that, and a super rare one to boot! (That missing pin doesn't count), I've got a serpentine that's mint with the same pin issue, it just falls out if I tilt the knife, apparenty a lousy soddering job.

Eric

Very Nice Charlie, really like seeing these mint oldies.

Eric, What's all that grass doing on your knife?

Russell

:eek:boy thats a example to be proud of. i love the swell centers and carry a sw 863 everyday. great picture too!

Russell, I thought the roots would hold the pin in place, but I forgot to water it :confused::D Now I find out they said brass, not grass!

Fran, it's black cell, I'm afraid to put a drop of oil on it, let alone epoxy!:eek:

Eric

Eric. It was the word soddering that worried me, it conjured up pictures of weird goings on in my mind:eek::D

Russell

Sod, soddering, I got it right away (that's what worries me:eek::eek:)

Say Charlie, were those Zulu blades available on any other knives, or just this whittler pattern?

Eric

Eric, I perused the catalogs I have, for occurrences of it, and only found it on the one pattern, so far anyways. . . .I'd like to hear if anyone sees one elsewhere!

Id like to know why they called it a Zulu blade. I did some looking for the article and came up with a lot of articles on ZULU spears. Cant say they looked much like Charlies great example.

Someone had a dream!:D
Actually, the bravery of the Zulu warriors was much more in the vernacular decades ago. With good reason, if you read the history.
And advertising types will try anything to attach desirability/cache to something they are trying to sell.
That said, it's a nice looking knife.

Back