0801 Go or No

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got mine from bladehq after preordering it earlier. Have to say it was worth the wait. Much like what everyone have said - it is a tank of a knife! It comes fairy sharp out of the box. I gave it a few swipes on the strop and it's now hair popping sharp.
Highly recommend the knife. It wont be my edc, it's just too "pretty", but it's nice to have in the collection.

I really want this knife,but it is a production model and I should be able to get it down the line at some point.I am holding back my funds so that I am locked and loaded when the ZT LE's are released.It may be a while but I have to be ready as some are on the horizon and are must-haves.This knife in my opinion blows the doors off the current import flipper model that was just released by another company producing in Taiwan Earth.They are both in the same general price range.Kai please keep it churning and thanks!

I am really liking the 0801! It looks great, the opening is incredibly smooth and fast, lock-up is excellent. And I really like that the blade is fully usable - no studs to get in the way, no holes to weaken it. Well done, Kershaw!

The more I read about this knife the more I want Wednesday to get here so my 801 can have my hand wrapped around it! Not to jump ahead, but does anyone know anything about the release date for the 801CF, and if it is a limited edition?

I plan to put the 801 in my pocket, that is if the 0600 is willing to get out!!:eek::D

The more I read about this knife the more I want Wednesday to get here so my 801 can have my hand wrapped around it! Not to jump ahead, but does anyone know anything about the release date for the 801CF, and if it is a limited edition?

I plan to put the 801 in my pocket, that is if the 0600 is willing to get out!!:eek::D
The 0801CF is a limited edition.

Thanks for the quick reply Knotty. Any idea of the numbers on it? It is one great looking piece from the pics I saw on BladeHQ. And the best part is I am at the top of the list at the store I frequent! It's sorta funny that as big a place as it is when I inquired about the 0600 last year they were not even aware of it! So I was at the top of the list for it and I kick myself in the ass that I didn't go ahead and get two! Though I did preorder from another place and should have a second one out of the next batch.

Thanks for the quick reply Knotty. Any idea of the numbers on it? It is one great looking piece from the pics I saw on BladeHQ. And the best part is I am at the top of the list at the store I frequent! It's sorta funny that as big a place as it is when I inquired about the 0600 last year they were not even aware of it! So I was at the top of the list for it and I kick myself in the ass that I didn't go ahead and get two! Though I did preorder from another place and should have a second one out of the next batch.
I do not know how many will be made.

So my ZT0801 arrived today, and I must say that it is a pretty awesome piece of cutlery!! After tightening the pivot a tad more to my liking, all that was left was to add a laynard, which I did using some Dark Stripes paracord. As far as the knife itself; everything is excellent. Blade is perfectly centered in the handle, blade grinds are excellent, pops hair right out of the box, lockup is superb, meaning that the lockup has the desired stiffness I want, lockup is about 30% (lockbar covers 30% of the blade tang), and release is very smooth with no sticking. And I'll go ahead and say it, there is absolutely no blade play. So, for now, the ZT0600 is resting comfortably in the drawer while the 801 takes its place. Who knows, it might just be an extended stay!:thumbup::)

Btw, I am REALLY looking forward to the 801CF now.

Edited to add,

I also wanted to mention that it has a very nice feel due to the weight of 5.8 ounces. Though my 550 weighs .20 ounces more, the 801 feels heavier to me.

Last edited:
But keep in mind that the 0770 might come with a detent hole, allowing for assisted or manual opening.

I think it's a beautiful knife and if it does I'll probably pre-order, but I don't think I want an assisted opener. I had a lot of problems getting the 561 to flip reliably, and then all of a sudden I couldn't misfire it. Not sure whether it just broke in, or by finger got more dextrous. In fact, I'm not sure why someone would spend the money on an XM if they could get the 560 for the same price, but at a third the price it's a total no-brainer.

I'm not crazy about the longitudinal grooves in the 801 handle, but they'd probably grow on me. I like the looks of the 770CF much more, and it also has a little thumb jimping while the 801 is absolutely smooth. Anyway, that's my go/nogo outlook at the moment.

So after watching this cutting demo vid on the ZT 0801, I am definitely leaning towards the Domino now !! as a viewer said "It is unfortunate because that knife had the potential to be bad ass. I love the design, however, what is the point of buying one if the edge doesn't hold well."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHeBZ0O9hdU

Agreed. I was considering buying this knife after the very positive experience im having with Elmax in my Pretium flipper from Elliot Williamson @ Ferrum Forge. But that thing dulled unacceptably fast in the video. I know from my use its not the steels fault...what's up ZT???

Ive been examining and flipping my new 0801 all night and I have to say this is the best ZT for the money ever. Its way under priced ive seen customs that dont hold a candle to this knife. ZT just keeps getting better I dont know how they can produce this knife at this price point. Well done KAI
SO have you tested the elmax yet..Just watched a video where it didn't hold a edge at all dulled in minutes of simple cutting. just wondering..guess others seen the same video lol..i didn't make to to page 4 before i posted

Agreed. I was considering buying this knife after the very positive experience im having with Elmax in my Pretium flipper from Elliot Williamson @ Ferrum Forge. But that thing dulled unacceptably fast in the video. I know from my use its not the steels fault...what's up ZT???

They will be along shortly to tell everyone that it's the user's fault somehow, and that he must have an axe to grind. For that reason, I'd ask that my videos not be posted here. Thanks. :)

They will be along shortly to tell everyone that it's the user's fault somehow, and that he must have an axe to grind. For that reason, I'd ask that my videos not be posted here. Thanks. :)

The reason it dulled so fast is because of the angle you were holding the knife at. A total user error on your part:p

(I was kidding just in case my my awesome tongue smiley didn't make it clear enough)

People are far too easily influenced if a youtube video convinces them not to get a knife. This specific video is pretty weak as far as demonstrations go. All it shows is a guy in his boxers cutting random objects. We have no idea what was done with the knife off camera. Even if this is a legitimate claim, it proves nothing. If more people started cutting things with these knives, and shared these experiences, we would have some useful information. Instead, we get countless unboxing videos and a buyer sharing subjective observations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back