10 years of Ti blades

Mecha

Titanium Bladesmith
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
It's been about 10 years since my first small batch of well-functioning forged titanium alloy blades, made with a decent process and heat treatment, was completed. The work has continued non-stop the whole time, a process of continuous refinement in pursuit of the real titanium sword dream.

As luck would have it, I had the unusual opportunity to photograph one of the blades from that first batch of three right alongside the most recent blade. Even more odd is that both are little short dagger-like swords with almost the exact same handle and blade lengths. Almost everything else made has been significantly larger, or a machete, or a little tiny knife.

The skinny one on the left is forged from a bar of titanium-niobium alloy, while the recent one on the right is a forge-welded san mai construction of two varieties of old obsolete armor plate ti alloy. Things have come a long way, and I'm genuinely curious what the next 10 years will yield.

Been here on Bladeforums for the whole decade of it all, and plan to be here for all of the next one. šŸ˜

5iDIsbq.jpg

ySo8dEE.jpg

UJDJaRk.jpg

cdyIFyA.jpg

Your craft has certainly improved. The knife/sword on the right looks almost alien. In a good way! Never herd of forge welding san mai titanium before :) Also like your makers mark

you're the titanium OG my man!

The one on the right is quite awesome.
My dad would love something like that; enough reach combined with light weight that's easier on tendons and such as one gets older. :)

The one on the right is quite awesome.
My dad would love something like that; enough reach combined with light weight that's easier on tendons and such as one gets older. :)

Pretty nice when you're younger, too!

Back