112 Ranger data sheet

As requested, here is the latest 112 data sheet from Buck. It was last updated in spring of 2009. Please if you see anything that does not seem right, let me know. There is still a lot of work left on the 112. Most likely it will eventually use the same nomenclature as the 110 data sheet but for now, it follows its own path.
Hope this helps! :)

Attachments

• 112Rangertimeline.doc
    27 KB · Views: 3,141
I don't see that it mentions the change from 440C to 425Mod.......blade thickness should have also changed at the same time?

Thank you Joe for your time, and trouble to provide us with this information. HL

I appreciate that info - I've been "told" that a Mod 112 with Micarta scales does not exist - -I beg to differ- I bought one in and gave it to my Dad for Christmas in 1973- It's now mine! and yes, I even have the box!
Peace
Revvie

I still have my childhood 112 and I'm trying to narrow down the approximate year it was made. My knife is stamped, BUCK, 112, U.S.A., ebony inlays, two 1/16th" brass pins and a larger stainless rocker rivet. Looking at the 112 data sheet, it talks about handle material changing quickly from Micarta to Segue wood to Ebony wood, but it appears all those changes took place in the last 8 months of 1972. Is that correct?

Tah, no . Looking at the data sheets yours would be a catagory II, 3rd version . It didn't list specifically 1973 but the 2dots start just after yours in 1974 . Which is stated . The 3 line stamp like yours with ebony is mfg. last half of 1973 and the Segua wood the first half of 1973 . The others were mfg. in 1972 . Hope this helps . DM

Thanks David. The way the data sheet reads, it suggests that by the end of 1972, ebony inlays were being used and continuing through all of 1973 with no changes until the dots came along in 1974.

But now I know the rest of the story...:thumbup:

Awesome! Joe, its like finding the dead sea scrolls.....LOL a foundation for dating these....thank you!

I just aquired a MINT never used or sharpened *112* with box and papers "Use and Care leaflet dated 4/77-(1)" if its the same as the 110?

Its a "No Nic" does anyone have any info on dates for making the NO NIC *112*'s It says 4-77 on the bottom of the paper work, could it be a 77?

I'm getting confused they added the NIC here....but before 80-81 there were no Nics.

Category IV, Stamped BUCK, *112**, U.S.A. 1980 to 1981?

Version 1. Left hand stamp, stainless spring holder, Macasar Ebony inlays, three 1/8” brass inlay rivets and stainless rocker rivet.

***** Version 2. Same as above except nail notch added.

Last edited:
Yes, it could be a '77 as Joe very clearly states in his link in post #1 of this thread. The data for 110's, which you have posted, does NOT apply to 112's!!

First thanks Tin Sue, Yes I did originally post the wrong data an caught myself an removed it.....and corrected it with the newer 112 data 2010. So there was no nail nics on a[all] 112's until 1980-81

Everyone keeps saying I'm posting 110 data.....but on the sticky's it clearly says covers 110 & 112. Someone should remove this then...LOL "Sticky Thread Sticky: revised 110/112 data sheet as of --->5/1/08
Started by Joe Houser, 01-15-2009 12:08 PM"

Last edited:
Don't know why you are confused. Once again, as stated in Joe's link, and as you have indicated in your post above as well, 112 nail nicks were first added with the second version 3 dot in 1980-81, and you are inquiring about a 2 dot which were manufactured from 1974 to 1980. All 2 dots lack a nail nick. So your 2 dot 112 without a nail nick could easily have paper work dated 1977.

Got it....thank you Tin Sue.... :)

Category IV, Stamped BUCK, *112**, U.S.A. 1980 to 1981 ?

Version 1. Left hand stamp, stainless spring holder, Macasar Ebony inlays, three 1/8” brass inlay rivets and stainless rocker rivet.

Version 2. Same as above except nail notch added.

Version 3. Same as above except hand radiused handle edges. Handles have hand radiused edges. No radius in thumb depression area. Finger grooved model introduced.

Last edited:
Back