1218 What the..?

Recently got this older model 1218. Mint in the (Blueprints) box with 2007 paperwork.
The spacers are not the regular black plastic, but three separate ones made from micarta or G-10. (?)
Irregular thicknesses and colours as well. The last spacer next to the pommel has a very reddish tinge to it.
Knife does not appear to have been messed with post factory, which begs the question, why is this like this?
I've reached out to the mothership, but not hopeful of an answer as maybe the answer is lost in time.
Any help with this is much appreciated.
W1x8XSUh.jpg

mbcO2mXh.jpg

Di1pP7dh.jpg

Also, the handle looks to have been assembled, painted, then ground/shaped.
lMFzKb1h.jpg

I don’t believe that is the correct knife for the “blue print” box.

The “blue print” knife had a rough matt finish, No serations and the sheath was stapled.

I believe it is a newer knife.

I don’t believe that is the correct knife for the “blue print” box.

The “blue print” knife had a rough matt finish, No serations and the sheath was stapled.

I believe it is a newer knife.
Hello eveled,
The reply I received from Ka-Bar was that this knife is correct in every way for one made between 2000-2007 as, according to Ka-Bar, the knives were hand finished during this time.
(I forgot to ask about the blueprints box time frame, so have just done that now.
I know it started in 1976,but unsure as to when these stopped, maybe 2012?)

The box for this knife has the model number "1218" on the end, which indicates this is the correct knife as it has a serrated edge.
I have also been told the stapled sheath was only used from 1976-1992ish, after that the sheaths were riveted as per current pieces.

Back