15OT Deerslayer/15UH ramble

Codger_64

Well, the missive I posted on the 165 seemed to draw quite a few views and a bit of interest, so maybe there is the same sort of interest in the 15OT Deerslayer, Schrade's most massive Old Timer hunting knife. While one might use it in a tactical assault, or use it to fight off and enraged buck deer, please refrain from calling it a "Tactical", Assault", or "Fighting" knife as so many people do. I don't even call it a skinner, though you could try to use it for that (I have), the much smaller, more agile Sharpfinger is a better skinner.

Once again I will ask that anyone with further information or corrections please let me know. I hope Rich can tell me a bit about the UH version, where information is sorely lacking.

The Schrade Old Timer 15OT Deerslayer is one of my favorite classic Schrade patterns. The 15OT was first introduced in 1964 and produced continuously for thirtyfour years, a third of a century. It was produced for ten years as Schrade Walden (1964-73), then for twentyfour as Schrade (1974-97). Deerslayer has serpentine shaped brown sawcut delrin handles held to the full tang by three nickle silver flat head rivets, and a 1 1/8" nickle silver Old Timer shield. A promenant choil on the tang in front of the handle acts as a lower guard and protects the fingers from the sharpened blade. A grooved, raised thumb rest on the top of the tang aids in blade control for finer work. The 6" full tang blade is flat ground 1095 carbon steel. A really stiff blade, the bladestock is nearly 3/16" thick. The tip is upswept.

As with other early Old Timers, there are some small distinctions between the Walden knives and the later ones from Ellenville. These are relatively minor engineering changes, but help to distinguish the chronology of production.

Earliest production was marked with a "PAT. PEND." blade etch briefly, then added to the lefthand tangstamp. Perhaps this led to some complications with production and stocking the 15OT's. The early Walden 15OT's were serialialized on the left tang perpendicular to the blade beginning sometime before the patent issued in April of '64. The first tangstamps were applied to both sides of the tang perpendicular to the blade, with SCHRADE-WALDEN over NY USA on the right, and 15OT PAT. over PEND. on the left.
Sometime before 1974, the entire tangstamp was moved to blade right. Later Ellenville blades have the tangstamp on blade right, but parallel to the thumb rest and angled to the blade reading SCHRADE over USA 15OT. Occasionally a blade will be seen with the stamp in front of the thumbrest parallel with the blade, but this is far less common.

Limited editions, private issues, and the "UH varient" usually have a tangstamp of SCHRADE+ over USA LTD., and often used a 440C stainless blade. These editions sometimes sported the upgrade Staglon handles and brass flat rivets, special etches, and on the later issues, laser cutouts in the blade just in front of the tang. One edition has been seen with a fancy filed blade spine. The thumb rest grooves were deleted on this edition as well. One very early private issue bearing the Patent Pending stamp had a Ted Williams signature etch showing that it was produced early in '64 for Sears Roebuck & Co. It had no other special features beside the leather laced basketweave tooled sheath and insert. Several subsequent Sears issues have been found with CRAFTSMAN USA tangstamps both left and right.

Another special issue is the 15OTO knife with hunter orange handle and LIMITED EDITION shield. It may have been comissioned by Smokey Mountain Knife Works in 1991 for inclusion in their "father and son" hunting sets with the 165OTO DEERHUNTER, 152OTO LIMITED EDITION, and 158OTO with an Old Timer shield.

Several sheath designs have been found so far and, as usual, not really enough of a sampling to establish an accurate chronology. One used in 1964-65 was a basketweave tooled tubular sheath with long belt hanger, and laced with leather laces. This was the fanciest sheath, but it had a problem. The long sweeping knife blade tended to cut the leather laces. Factory engineers solved this temporarily by adding an aluminum rimmed fiber sheath insert. This was too expensive to continue and the sheath was redesigned with the tooling deleted and six eyelets added to protect the laces. The most common, naturally is the later sewn tubular with five rivets protecting the stitches. This style continued pretty much through the remainder of production.

Early success of the 15OT inspired Schrade to issue an Uncle Henry version of the knife.
I do not know when the UH version was made in Ellenville, but I do not believe it was a cataloged edition, and it bore the SCHRADE+ over USA LTD tangstamp.

My interest in these knives, though discontinued eight years now and made by a company no longer existing, began more than thirty years ago when I purchased a 165OT for my hunting and camping adventures. The serpentine handle and heft of the 15OT are reminiscent of the familiar 165OT. The long choil is mimicked on the 152OT. The massive 15OT knife is a favorite of many "old timer" hunters of large game, yours truly included.

Codger

Thanks for the info on a OT that doesn't get a lot of press. Its one of my favorites and represents what I think are all the best qualities of the OT line: Performance at a price most can afford, durability, and clean classic designs. Properly sharpened, the 15OT is equal to or better in the cutting department than most highend factory knives and more than a few customs. No magic here, just good old 1095 with the right heat treat. I wish more companies would go back to using it. How about a essay on the 16OT next, thats another knife I'd like to know more about.

The 160OT will be a relatively easy one. I'll see what I can do.

I agree about the 15OT. The flat grind coming all the way down from the top of that wide blade gives stiffness while providing a relatively thin cutting edge. The combination of exagerated choil, top thumb rest grooves, and serpentine sawcut handle give excellent control. And of course, what more can be said about the 1095 steel. I have seen hundreds of this pattern, some more than thirty years old and not one has been "bellied out" by over sharpening ( A few have been purposely "customized" beyond recognition). Not much blade material is lost with a few strokes of a rod or stone. And it has been my experience that is all it takes to bring one back to cutting prime, if it is used for it's intended purpose.

Codger

I have a question i recently acquired a 15OT like I have never seen before. It is highly polished with a Duck Head laser cut into the blade and two ducks etched into the blade as well. Staglon handles with a Ducks unlimited shield and brass rivets. The best part is the spine is fully filed all along the length of it. Has a leather sheath that has a duck head on it and leather wrist strap on handle. Any ideas on origin?

Schrade made thousands of SFOs (special factory orders) for a non-profit organization called Ducks Unlimited. Various local chapters raffled these knives to members at fund-raising events. This organization tries to increase habitat for waterfowl, among associated activities. Your particular knife would be a particularly attractive example.

This is one of my 15OT/UH Deerslayer DUCKs. I believe the knife mentioned by Jesse Irene is a 2002-2003 Duck.

file.php

Last edited:
I don't know if its fair game to ask a 'different' 15ot question on this thread - please let me know if not.

I got (i think) a good deal 15ot in very nice shape. I really like the knife, but noticed one difference from Codgers description in his original post above. The blade on my knife is much thinner than he describes. it is definitely not almost 3/16" more like a tiny bit over 1/8" . I did measure it with the micrometer, but now forget - maybe like .138" or something like that. maybe it was a 'newer' one, but its definitely still a USA knife.

Blade steel changed over time, not only from carbon steel to stainless, but even from sheet steel to roll steel (and final thicknesses). Or vice versa, I forget. The changes are also seen in other Schrade fixed blades. In patterns with more components some of the components had to be redesigned to fit, notably the 153UH Golden Spike. Early and late parts do not interchange. Some reasons for steel changes were the blanking processes used, and sometimes a particular metal's cost or availability. Eric or someone else may be able to explain it better than I can. But this is my understanding.

That makes total sense.

I think I read somewhere that the later 153s also dropped down to .136 - even though mine is .167. My 171 is the thickest at .182 - which IS almost 3/16" thick.

Here is my 15ot.

Hello, I just joined the party. Sorry I am a little late. I was going through some of my old knives and I found a blade that was given to ne a few years back. It is the 15OT in very nice condition. On the right side of the blade, under the Schrade name and USA 15OT stamp there is an etched the word in capital letters "LOCKRIDGE". Can anyone give me the details of that or its significance? Thanks in advance.

I just discovered an interesting tidbit in researching the catalogs to find when my 15OT was made. The sheath that mine came with was only shown in the 1970 catalog during the Walden years. The interesting tidbit of info I found was that the term Deer Slayer was first used in 1973, post Walden. From 1964 -1972 the 15OT was simply named Hunter. So I guess technically, if you have a Schrade-Walden 15OT it is NOT a Deer Slayer, but a Hunter.

Back