Anybody else have too many packs?

hhmoore

Gold Member
Hopefully I'm not the only one...
It started innocently enough - I had one pack that I'd carried for years. It was starting to show some wear (mostly the mesh/net bottle holders); so I started looking for a replacement.
Next thing I knew, I had (off the top of my head) a Rush 24, Rush 72, Blackhawk and LBT 3DAPs, Kelty (3500?), Maxpedition Vulture, and a Blackhawk ("Becker") Patrol Pack. All great packs; but none were quite right (to my mind) for my regular use. I stopped buying, though, and carried my old one for a little longer before making the LBT my regular carry.

*I did, at some point, add a couple of Maxpedition sling packs. I think I wanted something smaller to carry while at a conference; but I wasn't thrilled with the style.

Too many? Probably. But there's something to be said about having the right pack for the right outing. I have several Camelbaks for this reason. From a 9L Lobo to a 46L BFM. For my daily packs I have a Vanquest Trident 32 for the winter and Osprey Tropos 34 for the summer, plus a Trident 21 and plan on getting a Osprey Parsec 26 for lighter carry. I'm also saving to venture for my first foray into digital photography beyond cellphones and point-and-shoots, which means I'll probably have to get a camera pack or three.

The way I see it, beyond the comfort and satisfaction of having the "just right" pack for a particular outing, having and using multiple packs means each one will last a lot longer than simply using one or two and wearing those out quicker.

It's a sickness. Or an addiction? I have more packs than I like to admit. I found a way to keep me from buying more packs though.... I switched to fanny packs. I don't think it's a long term solution, but it'll have to do for now.
For what it's worth: After using Camelbaks for mountainbiking and motorcycle enduro riding since the early 90s I discovered USWE a couple of years ago. I bought 3 so far. They are f*ckin great! For hydration hip bags I went from Dakine to Camelbak and have settled (for now) on ecoc.

Only have one!!
Osprey Sportlite 20.
Carried it on my 286 mile Trek last year!!
And will continue on all my future trips!!
👍😁👍
John 🥾🥾🎒

Yeah. And shoes. But they are rugged shoes so I am not one of those sex in the city girls. I promise.

We have a brand of pack here called caribee. That do well priced, well made "military inspired" packs which I really like.

It started innocently enough - I had one pack that I'd carried for years. It was starting to show some wear (mostly the mesh/net bottle holders); so I started looking for a replacement.
Next thing I knew, I had (off the top of my head) a Rush 24, Rush 72, Blackhawk and LBT 3DAPs, Kelty (3500?), Maxpedition Vulture, and a Blackhawk ("Becker") Patrol Pack. All great packs; but none were quite right (to my mind) for my regular use. I stopped buying, though, and carried my old one for a little longer before making the LBT my regular carry.

*I did, at some point, add a couple of Maxpedition sling packs. I think I wanted something smaller to carry while at a conference; but I wasn't thrilled with the style.
My Dad has way too many backpacks lol. Photography is his main passion. Apparently, the gear acquisition rabbit hole in photography is just as bad as knives, if not worse.

Apparently, the gear acquisition rabbit hole in photography is just as bad as knives, if not worse.

It's probably worse. I'm saving up for my first "real" camera and I'm already dreading the inevitable money pit. Starting (probably) with a Sony APS-C and Tamron 18-300 as an all-in-one beginner lens to learn on. But then I'll need a good low-light wide angle, maybe a macro, some sort of superduper telephoto, a high end zoom, etc. And filters and a tripod and flash and shotgun mike and this and that. And then maybe if I learn to take pictures that look decent with that gear, maybe I'll get a full-frame with some crazy megapixel count.

All of which will need some sort of bag or bags to safely and comfortably carry that all in.

I got few but all are for different purposes.
One backpack for urban and one for hiking.
One duffel bag for travel and one huge surplus bag if I really need to haul stuff or dispose bodies.
One "tote" style bag for every day life moving mail, lunch, groceries.
One smaller and one bigger sling bag for carrying essentials when I want to wear shorts.

So on and so on..

Last edited:
Yeah I have too many. Lots of them were bought trying to find the right one. A few ended up becoming emergency bags. They are full of gear that I'm probably never going to use, but it's nice to know that I have them.

On the the occasion I've had to use one, the only items inside that get used are the spare clothes and hygiene products. It's still nice to have that stuff all prepped and ready when you need it though.

Everyone should at least have a bag with some spare clothes and toiletries in their vehicle. You never know when you're going to need it. So if you have too many packs, then just repurpose them as emergency standbys.

It's also good to be in shape too. If you suddenly have to walk miles and miles a day carrying all that stuff, you'll be seriously regretting it if you're out of shape.

Definitely not the only one. I’ve found there is no perfect pack, like there is no perfect knife, and there are so many choices available it is all too easy to fall down the rabbit hole.

It's probably worse. I'm saving up for my first "real" camera and I'm already dreading the inevitable money pit. Starting (probably) with a Sony APS-C and Tamron 18-300 as an all-in-one beginner lens to learn on. But then I'll need a good low-light wide angle, maybe a macro, some sort of superduper telephoto, a high end zoom, etc. And filters and a tripod and flash and shotgun mike and this and that. And then maybe if I learn to take pictures that look decent with that gear, maybe I'll get a full-frame with some crazy megapixel count.

All of which will need some sort of bag or bags to safely and comfortably carry that all in.
Hey there dude. Have fun on your journey. Photography makes my Dad happy and I hope it’s the same for you.

I don’t currently wear a pack, but as I’ve gotten older and seem to need more stuff, I can definitely see where one would be beneficial. I need to look into getting one.

Mine is primarily for stuff I want at work. Food, water bottles, power packs, charging cables, a variety of teas, a small tool kit, good flashlight, etc.
If I'm just out and about, there's a reasonable chance it's in my car; but I don't carry it

Mine is primarily for stuff I want at work. Food, water bottles, power packs, charging cables, a variety of teas, a small tool kit, good flashlight, etc.
If I'm just out and about, there's a reasonable chance it's in my car; but I don't carry it

You should put some spare clothes and toiletries in there just in case. 👍

You should put some spare clothes and toiletries in there just in case. 👍
I have toothbrush/toothpaste, ibuprofen, inhaler, sinus meds, and a waterless bath foam thing in pack...and a change of both work and regular clothes in my car.

*Edited to add: Oops, I lied. I forgot I pulled the foam stuff out after the cap came off.

Last edited:
I could see where this would also come in handy when traveling, good way to have snacks, drinks, etc. while your out and about.

Yes I have 7 or 8 of them. Several are specifically for toting camera gear. But I mainly use my Osprey Talon 22.

I think I have the right amount for me, I count seven, most range from 5-10 years old. I prefer Ospreys (I'd have to look up the models) Have three of them - large european backpacking model, standard size pack for day hikes, smaller pack for dog - hikes, day trips, and the park. Have a backpack for work (laptop travels in it well); range bag; ammo bag; disc golf bag. That 'bout covers it.

Car essentials are not in a pack, but rather a collapsable crate from Costco. For now, I don't worry about overdoing items in the car like I used to because I travel less. Once upon a time I had a big duffel bag and could live out of my car for a week. Now there is one traffic light between home and the office, and I sometimes just work at home. Trips into the woods are 4-6 miles accompanied by the dog.

I only have a couple of lightweight packs. My obsession seems to be with organizers that go into packs: stuff sacks and small zipper pouches.

Back