Anyone Else Wear Sling Bags?

I sometimes wear a fanny pack (a.k.a. hip bag, bum bag, or waist pack) over my shoulder like a sling bag. They're versatile like that.

But um... if a sling bag is made from leather, then it's a purse. Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with a man who carries a purse. Just own it. Say "this is my purse."

Purses should be a manly thing anyway. Men need to carry stuff more than women do, and I feel like women carrying purses fell out of fashion a long time ago.
My mom had a big ass purse that we always called " the duffle bag " which she definitely didn't like, but she deserved to get teased for having such a big ass purse that was too big and too full to find anything.

Btw I actually think women do need purses more because dresses or skirts have no pockets and the ones on women's jeans are useless.
My grandmother hates to carry a purse so she wears mens jeans and carpenters shorts, she does carry a pocket knife and a flashlight though so she may be a bit if a different story.

I pretty much agree with you about the leather though, unless it's a laptop case...etc leather definitely makes it scream purse.
With other materials it depends, a camera case isn't a purse and if it's tactical styled then it just doesn't scream purse to me.
Those mini backpacks and other small packs can definitely look like a purse.
Like you say there's nothing wrong with that, at least not unless you get defensive about it being called a purse and need to believe your little bag isn't one.
If that matters to somebody, then it definitely matters, and they should probably just choose something that is clearly in no way a purse.

Btw I would say I'm definitely one of those people, I'm not going to carry a small pack that somebody could think is a purse because I just don't want to be the guy with a purse.

To me it's more about what you keep in it and how you use it. Doesn't really matter what it's made of . . . But.
If I see a man pull a tube of ChapStick from that bag, put it on his lips, and put it back in the bag. That right there is a purse my friend.

My mom had a big ass purse that we always called " the duffle bag " which she definitely didn't like, but she deserved to get teased for having such a big ass purse that was too big and too full to find anything.

Oh yeah, my mom had one of those giant vinyl or leather purses with her at all times too. Almost every woman did for a long period of many decades. She ditched it eventually right around the time they seemed to go out of fashion. I rarely see a purse these days, and when I do they're usually a lot smaller than they used to be, and all of the crazy compartments on the inside seem to have been replaced by exterior pockets.

Back in ye olde days of yore, men would carry their things, primarily money, in leather pouches with a drawstring. And they were called purses.
But we’re not talking about ye olde days of yore. We’re talking 2024. Leather doesn’t make it a purse, deikeliktas.

I once carried an over the shoulder claymore mine bag full of 30 round M2 Carbine magazines and a couple of hand grenades :rolleyes:
Was it leather? According to Guy it was a purse. A claymore/M2 mag purse, but still a purse, since leather is the distinction. :rolleyes:

I wonder how many dude's moms stopped carrying a big purse about the same time they also stopped carrying spare baby wipes, diapers, snacks, bandaids, toys..... But that might be correlation not causation. My mom carried a college sized backpack until the last of us was mostly able to carry our own crap, but as the town nurse she still carried a lot of stuff. So we got her an old school style "dr. bag" for her medical stuff and then she pretty much rolled with a wallet and little else because no need to carry a phone where there is no service.

I've had this Oakley sling bag for a decade or so, but I don't tote it wherever I go, it just goes with me when I leave the pad and stays in the vehicle. I don't bother to sling it across body either, just over one shoulder half backpack style. It was particularly convenient when I lived back in Florida and had two vehicles and I wasn't always in my truck full of tools. Plus being an EDC nerd it's just a cool way of having everything you might need whenever you need it. The real breakthrough in convenience was storing my house key on a key-bak lanyard on the strap. This way the key rarely had to leave the bag so it never got misplaced, and it rested right on my shoulder to grab when I was at the door without ever removing it from the strap.

J0FAYCj.jpg

P7cXqOj.jpg

ghQ3yU0.jpg

raASWZP.jpg

True, sadly, it was not leather. Just plain old od green canvas or some cloth. But it was handy and always ready to go.

Back