Are Cold Steel's 2.8 mm thick machetes designed to chop wood?

Are CS machetes (Kukri, Magnum Kukri, Kukri Plus, Royal Kukri, Black Bear Bowie, etc.) in principle designed for wood chopping? They are only 2.8 mm thick. Other choppers are a lot thicker: for example, Ka-Bar Kukri Machete and Skrama 240 are 4.2 mm (0.165 in.). Compared to them, 2.8 mm appears to be suitable for vine and saplings only.
UpwiSB4.png

A7FpkVl.png

Last edited:
many machetes are thinner stock....I use mine for clearing trails in the jungle and swamps. so lighter thinner green growth.

I'm gonna say not ideal for wood chopping.

I've used the 2.8mm Barong Machetes extensively since 2010 to chop wood.

I've cut down on this a bit as I bought more specialized tools such as a Kobalt cordless chainsaw and polesaw when before my choices were using a gas chainsaw or an axe or machete.

This is a really dumb thing to do, but my nephew used one to chop down a 50'+ high tree than was more than a foot across.

This is with the old Chinese made Barong Machete, not the current one.

I've used the 2.8mm Barong Machetes extensively since 2010 to chop wood.

I've cut down on this a bit as I bought more specialized tools such as a Kobalt cordless chainsaw and polesaw when before my choices were using a gas chainsaw or an axe or machete.

This is a really dumb thing to do, but my nephew used one to chop down a 50'+ high tree than was more than a foot across.

This is with the old Chinese made Barong Machete, not the current one.

I have the current one I bought about a year ago, made in South Africa. I also used it to chop soft wood but quite a little, to be honest; you can see very few scars on it.

WBvVkrq.png

uHnl0fa.png

Last edited:
I use two handed , long handled, machetes quite a lot to clear woody vines and brush . Small saplings .

Thai machete and Chinese War Sword Machete (pic below ) .

Never tried to do any ax work with these . Mostly use saws for heavier stuff .

Are CS machetes (Kukri, Magnum Kukri, Kukri Plus, Royal Kukri, Black Bear Bowie, etc.) in principle designed for wood chopping? They are only 2.8 mm thick. Other choppers are a lot thicker: for example, Ka-Bar Kukri Machete and Skrama 240 are 4.2 mm (0.165 in.). Compared to them, 2.8 mm appears to be suitable for vine and saplings only.
UpwiSB4.png

A7FpkVl.png

How thick is the wood and is it dry or green? 2.8mm is plenty for thin wood, let's say 2" or less, green wood, especially if there is adequate length and sharpness.

Thin edges penetrate but can bind easily. I think they work best for one swing cuts and that's pretty easy to do with adequate length and tip speed, a shorter heavy blade actually takes more work, especially if it's still on the tree and unsupported. I think even at 2" where it may not cut through in one swing, the branch ir trunk is thin enough not to bind badly.

Also, if it's something that is going to be carried, it just weighs less and that's something to be considered in the list of compromises you're going to make in selecting a cutting tool.

Thickness is just one measure and taken out of context of the other measurements won't answer your question fully.

If you're trying to chop dry wood, that's hardee on an edge and normally a thicker blade helps support a thicker edge and offers some different geometry. Also, a higher weight is desiteable so the blade should be broad if that thin, like the baryonyx machete.

So, vine and saplings only? Not at all. And some vines are harder and thicker than some trees so even that should be considered. I came across a set of vines once that swallowed up thd blade on my swamp rat ratweiler, a 7.5" blade. I carried the ratweiler with a silky big boy often on my mountain bike rides if I thought some trees may have fallen down where I ride.

How thick is the wood
1-4"

is it dry or green?
Both.
Both hard (maple, oak) and soft (pine, cedar) wood.

If you're trying to chop dry wood, that's hardee on an edge and normally a thicker blade helps support a thicker edge and offers some different geometry. Also, a higher weight is desiteable so the blade should be broad if that thin, like the baryonyx machete.
I think I can finally answer that question to myself if I buy another blade and give it a try. Actually, I have two CS machetes, Black Bear and Barong, both 2.8 mm thick, I used them both for chopping the wood I specified above. I think I'm going to buy something like a Kukri Machete (it appears to have the most of positive reviews), but even better a Kukri Plus or Royal Kukri because they have hand guards.

Thin edges penetrate but can bind easily.
This is exactly what happened to my Camillus machete. It is in fact thicker than CS at ~3.5 mm but is hollow ground to a very thin edge. It penetrated like no other blade, it was a real pleasure to hack into green wood with it, but it quickly got rolled and went SSSSSSSS shaped.

sGhuq4l.png

1gJpTE3.png

Last edited:
Back