Arsenic

I make custom-made fixed blade knives from re-purposed materials. Recently, my doctor found ARSENIC in my blood and urine. Could the source be the antique sawmill blades I am currently using?
Ken (Knifeman)

Do you use a coal forge by any chance?

As long as you aren't eating your knives, or the materials you use to make them? I mean...

Arsenic turns up in dyes and pigments through the 1800s, particular in the color green. It was also used in mixtures to protect wood from insects and rot, and that went on well into the 1900s. So if you are using reclaimed wood from that time, there is a decent chance of Arsenic exposure. The fun thing about Arsenic is that it accumulates over time so cumulative exposure can lead to health problems in much the same way as Lead poisoning slowly adds up. If they used those old mill blades to saw down a bunch of railroad ties or treated wood they would have a bit knocking about, but I don't know if that would be enough to lead to a positive test. My bet would be that you cut and sanded some tainted wood. I would look into your dust collection system or check your respirator, and if those show positive you are going to need a thorough swabbing of your shop.

I know I’m stating the obvious but you pretty much have to be inhaling or ingesting it. You might want to try getting some better respiratory PPE. Also, believe some fish and fish oil supplements and those types of things can be high in arsenic. Supplements aren’t really that well regulated so if you’re taking one, that could potentially be a source.

Ken, I have been to your shop. You are a shooter and reloader. Arsenic and lead go together. Many other things, like all the vegetables and fruit you grow can have arsenic. Have your soil tested. Also, I can't remember if you are on a well. If so, have that tested.
Arsenic is a common element, and a small trace is in many people's blood.

Back