Ask Lorien a question

I’ll start it off. What’s your favorite knife you designed that was put into production? What about it makes it your favorite?
hey thanks for the thread! I love this kind of thread and I was really hoping something like this would show up here. :cool:
👍

This isn't an easy one to answer, and it's not because I have tons of designs which are out there under another brand, but because most of my work is with Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist and he always does an outstanding job. Basically every knife he's made from my design is amazing, (as are his own) but the HDFK was the first to come to mind. That's not an emotional choice by any means- there are others, such as the FK1 which have major sentimental value- it's that the HDFK is about as perfect an all around survival/camp/trail knife as anything I've ever seen or used. It's a seriously capable tool that is almost exactly what I envisioned when I came up with the design.

Of course, now that I'm thinking along these lines, there are plenty other designs out there by others- such as Bruce Bingenheimer- that are near and dear.

A good cop out I've used in the past, is that my favourite design is the one I'm about to come up with :)

I watched your recent Trail Cutlass videos with my morning coffee today and was curious about the "Cutlet" which I'm assuming also has some similar family design cues as its larger brother?

Is this particular design something that you were considering as a possible CPK LC2 candidate? What are the general specs for the "Cutlet"? Maybe some pics of the two (TC and Cutlet) side by side for scale comparison?

I watched your recent Trail Cutlass videos with my morning coffee today and was curious about the "Cutlet" which I'm assuming also has some similar family design cues as its larger brother?

Is this particular design something that you were considering as a possible CPK LC2 candidate? What are the general specs for the "Cutlet"? Maybe some pics of the two (TC and Cutlet) side by side for scale comparison?
the Trail Cutlass started off as the cutlet, but after researching cutlasses and getting feedback from Nate, it was just too small for that designation. Cutlet is .189" CPM 3V, and I think the blade's about 11-12". Overall length is about 18", because that's the biggest thing I can fit in my heat treating oven :)

the cutlet started off as a revamped LC, in my mind anyway, but it has yet to be seen whether or not it will be adopted. From what I understand, the LC2 has already been redesigned

the handle for both knives is generally the same, but the cutlass is very slightly bigger in profile, (maybe 5%)

I'll post up some pictures in the thread in Nathan's forum at some point over the next day or two

Hey Lorien, I agree on the HDFK. It may be the perfect camp/backpacking/trail/life knife! I love mine. Fantastic design. It is my current "Highlander" knife!!! If you're not familiar, it's the core line from the movie Highlander "There can be only one." If I could only have one knife, it's the HDFK 😁

Hey Lorien, I agree on the HDFK. It may be the perfect camp/backpacking/trail/life knife! I love mine. Fantastic design. It is my current "Highlander" knife!!! If you're not familiar, it's the core line from the movie Highlander "There can be only one." If I could only have one knife, it's the HDFK 😁
I saw Highlander in the theatre when I was a kid, pretty sure it changed my life!

not that anybody asked, but this is where the grinding goes down

I'm happy to answer your questions! I'd love for this thread to have more action:)

oh, and by the way- I saw that there's a reboot in the works with Henry Cavill!
I’m very much looking forward to it. Henry Cavill and Christopher Lambert seem like such different actors and it’s hard to imagine someone else playing the roll of Connor McCleod, eh ?

That said, I’ve enjoyed Cavill as Superman and the Witcher. Should be interesting. The real question is: will he be wielding his traditional katana or….???

man, if he isn't using a katana then I'm out! I dig the Witcher, he is like perfectly cast for that. If the Witcher character is the new Connor McCleod that would be awesome. He's cold as fuck, but always with the on point one liners

man, if he isn't using a katana then I'm out! I dig the Witcher, he is like perfectly cast for that. If the Witcher character is the new Connor McCleod that would be awesome. He's cold as fuck, but always with the on point one liners
I agree completely. Have a fine evening brother.

thanks, you too!

Back