Barber Shoppe Straight Razor shaving experience

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I used to own an older straight razor and liked it for a while, but as I was better on one side of my face and not the other, I guess I didn't trust the one hand more ;) so I ended up selling it and going back to cartridge type razors.

My wife usually trims my hair, and I trim my beard but today after getting our new glasses my wife noticed that around the corner from the Vision Center, must be the new glasses ;), she saw a barber shop and said 'why don't you get a haircut today from a professional?'

And my hair was getting to that Bozo look where it plumes out on the sides so I agreed. The lady barber was nice, albeit her voice was high pitched and squeaky but she was very friendly. We started out fine, she was meticulous trimming my hair and then asked if I wanted my beard trimmed? I didn't want this to add up to a higher bill so I declined and as we got about done she asked again and this time my wife chimed in with a 'yes trim the beard too' She said that while I do that it's not always uniform so I said ok how much more for that? and it wasn't a great deal more.

So, she proceeded with trimming the beard and then started to shave me as well, I don't have a mustache any longer so she also shaved the upper lip, using what looked and felt like an electric razor which I've never used. So I thought that was it, then she gets out a hot towel and wraps my face with it. I was thinking uhoh, scenes from the movie Sweeney Todd started flashing through my brain and sure enough, she flips open a straight razor and started shaving me. It was a tad scary and I was thinking this is not something I want but when she's waving a straight razor around my face...I didn't want to interrupt her for fear of something worse happening, so I sat very still.

And, she did well, my upper lip area has a few bumps from the ordeal but overall a very smooth shave was done which has me considering giving it a try again, but I just don't know if I want to go through that all over again myself.

So that was my first ever barber shoppe shave, I'm sure a lot of you guys probably have this done on a regular basis, but it was certainly interesting!

G2

Did she do any shaving across the grain or against the grain? I do both with a cartridge razor but would be reluctant to do either with a straight razor.

I've been going to the same locally owned barber shop for over 25 years. The owner is my age, and has a very large collection of old shave mugs, brushes, and razors on the shelves all around the place, but I've never seen anybody get a shave there. The owner has some health problems & the past few years the daughter has pretty much taken over. There are three female barbers, and they all use the straight razors with the disposable blades to clean up on the back of neck.

When I was there a few months ago, a guy "from not around here" got a haircut, and afterward asked for a shave. The girl looked kind of surprised & told him that she hadn't shaved anybody since she got out of barber school. She looked at the other girl, & she said, "Nope, me neither." The guy passed on the shave.:)

We used to have a barber here that did straight razor shaves. He also used a straight to clean up the neck etc. when you had a regular haircut.
Very much old school right down to slapping your cheeks with after shave when finished. He wasn't good but great at what he did. I miss him.

Gary, Glad to hear you enjoyed your barber shop shave. I hated to shave most of my life but put up with it reluctantly. A while back I ran across some folks on this board talking about double edge safety razors and their improved comfort and results. I took it as a challenge. I take the time to wrap my face in a hot moist towel before I lather on some pre-shave lotion. I now enjoy a comfortable close shave. You can achieve barber shop results without going all the way to a straight razor or.

Gary, Glad to hear you enjoyed your barber shop shave. I hated to shave most of my life but put up with it reluctantly. A while back I ran across some folks on this board talking about double edge safety razors and their improved comfort and results. I took it as a challenge. I take the time to wrap my face in a hot moist towel before I lather on some pre-shave lotion. I now enjoy a comfortable close shave. You can achieve barber shop results without going all the way to a straight razor or.
True. Prep is at least 50% of a good shave with both straights and DE razors. With a cartridge razor you can just lather up whatever it is you're shampooing with, slap it on your face and shave right in the shower. I've done that with a DE too but it's not ideal. I keep all three types around and use whatever time permits. The only razors I don't like are electric. I never found one that gives a close enough shave for me.

I tried electric in the early 1980`s - A Philips Philishave 2-rotary head battery and a Braun foil battery - good enough for work but not going out or the girlfriend - haha !
I love DE in the bath or shower - don`t need a mirror - just feel.
You`re right lads - you can`t beat good prep - like for painting or cooking.
My cheap straight razor is the closest and comfiest out of the lot but unfortunately I don`t always have the time to indulge.
I must set aside 5-10 minutes extra for a proper shave because it is so so worth it.

Gary W. Graley as long as the lady or barber bloke has a steady hand and you`re not coughing or sneezing haha - you are good to go.
Please don`t be dissuaded, go to another old-fashioned traditional barber and treat yourself - it is simply incomparable and unsurpassed and even if it`s just once every blue moon - it`s well worth it.
As you say, years ago barbers offered to do your full head and neck !
There are some brilliant Turkish and Greek ones near me that`ll trim my hair, do me a shave and put cologne on for less than £40 or about $45 with a tip.
If girls can expend hundreds on a hairdo, manicure and nail-bar - we are worth it now and again - go and get groomed and pampered haha !

I used to love going to a tailors to get fitted for a suit and choosing the material and lining etc - and not just for functions and taking my friends to my Hi-Fi shop with a good subchassis turntable to set the suspension up (at home if poss) and trying new styli profiles and cartridges on different arms with different RIAA MM or MC preamps at a personal demo - you can`t beat good customer service and satisfaction - totally priceless.

Last edited:
I've been going to the same locally owned barber shop for over 25 years. The owner is my age, and has a very large collection of old shave mugs, brushes, and razors on the shelves all around the place, but I've never seen anybody get a shave there. The owner has some health problems & the past few years the daughter has pretty much taken over. There are three female barbers, and they all use the straight razors with the disposable blades to clean up on the back of neck.

When I was there a few months ago, a guy "from not around here" got a haircut, and afterward asked for a shave. The girl looked kind of surprised & told him that she hadn't shaved anybody since she got out of barber school. She looked at the other girl, & she said, "Nope, me neither." The guy passed on the shave.:)
It`s brilliant when they know you well - nice one Ironbut !

i keep a full beard, but on the occassion I go in for a trim, they do give me lineup with the hot towel and straight razor.
I've taken to using a disposable straight razor at the house to touch it up from time to time myself.
I do enjoy it and find it relaxing

On the subject of closeness, is there any consensus on whether a DE razor provides a closer shave than a cartridge razor? Generally speaking and under normal circumstances that is.

On the subject of closeness, is there any consensus on whether a DE razor provides a closer shave than a cartridge razor? Generally speaking and under normal circumstances that is.
Since I started shaving in the late seventies J jbib , I have used virtually every type of manual and electric razor.
Without doubt even a new budget or cheap second-hand double-edged safety razor will annihilate any cartridge razor for speed, comfort, closeness, lack of nicks and ingrowing hairs, maintenance cost and impact on the environment.
Even a $50-$100 new or vintage DE razor will pay for itself in no time.
I can get 100 Egyptian Lord Rainbow stainless blades for less than five dollars delivered and get at least 3-4 decent shaves out of one blade with no rash, nicks or discomfort and completely smooth face.
So with a new budget Chinese adjustable razor it works out less than $10 a year to shave and next year it`ll be $5 because I don`t need another razor.
Of course if you buy lots of blades at once you can get say 1000 for about $30 wholesale; I`m not kidding.
I bought my Brother a budget stainless Chinese adjustable DE razor and he uses it exclusively after using expensive cartridge razors for 40 years.
If you want to make each blade last longer you can sharpen them on denim jeans, vintage green glass blade sharpeners or new Chinese blade sharpeners plus you can use hard wooden/leather strops which, once bought, last nearly indefinitely.Depending on blade quality you can get 7-12 shaves out of just one costing a few cents each.
He said it was like the difference between a budget off the shelf suit and a custom-made bespoke tailored suit - chalk and cheese.
He is proof positive that an old dog can learn new tricks.

Last edited:
Since I started shaving in the late seventies J jbib , I have used virtually every type of manual and electric razor.
Without doubt even a new budget or cheap second-hand double-edged safety razor will annihilate any cartridge razor for speed, comfort, closeness, lack of nicks and ingrowing hairs, maintenance cost and impact on the environment.
I can get 100 Egyptian Lord Rainbow stainless blades for less than five dollars delivered and get at least 3-4 decent shaves out of one blade with no rash, nicks or discomfort and completely smooth face.
So with a new budget Chinese adjustable razor it works out less than $10 a year to shave and next year it`ll be $5 because I don`t need another razor.
Of course if you buy lots of blades at once you can get say 1000 for about $30 wholesale; I`m not kidding.
I bought my Brother a budget stainless Chinese adjustable DE razor and he uses it exclusively after using expensive cartridge razors for 40 years.
If you want to make each blade last longer you can sharpen them on denim jeans, vintage green glass blade sharpeners or new Chinese blade sharpeners plus you can use hard wooden/leather strops which, once bought, last nearly indefinitely.Depending on blade quality you can get 7-12 shaves out of just one costing a few cents each.
He said it was like the difference between a budget off the shelf suit and a custom-made bespoke tailored suit - chalk and cheese.
I agree its my experience too. I must be influenced by advertising. Doesn't it stand to reason five blades are better than one. I do admit since DE blades aren't advertised aggressively, if at all, I'm unclear which blades are best. As a creature of habit I lean towards Wilkinson. I'd be interested in reviews on DE blades.

I’ll offer a word of caution, then recommend you ignore it.

I wouldn’t be on BF if I didn’t suffer from some level of addictive behavior. I have many DE razors and many blades from different manufacturers. I’ve found that I have different combinations of razors and blades that suit my feelings at the moment. From a quick adequate go to work shave to a close super smooth shave for date night.

Almost as bad as hunting for the perfect knife, looking for the perfect shave is a challenge. But I enjoy the challenge and the process of learning more about what goes into a pleasant shave. Something I should have learned 50 years ago.

All the best,

I don't think "Chinese blade sharpeners" is a neighborhood that I want to go. However, I am intrigued. I'm an old dog too and still have my Gillette Adjustable I purchased about 60 years ago. Over the years as it appears you also may have done I obsessed buying vintage DE's on eBay and have a respectable inventory which I wouldn't credit as a collection. So I enjoy this forum and the opportunity to share with individuals like yourself.

Bad no cuts per se but rash and a couple of weepers. The guy should not have been allowed to shave customers with a straight razor. I am going to be fair this was a neighborhood common barber shop.

There are a few and I mean a few high end barber shops that openly advertise and offer straight razor shaves. Their prices are generally very high being so and the amount of customers (a lot) that frequent them I don't doubt they would do a good job. I might one day give one of them a spin.

It's a good thing that I have some very good quality straights and am pretty good at shaving myself with a straight razor.

I was hoping for a pro that can give a hard to beat super good shave.

My advice is to seek out a reputable pro and keep away from hair cut places that don't frequently practice straight razor shaving and want to find out if they can handle it.

If you shave yourself slowly and carefully slowly making adjustments to get better (slowly) I imagine you will only get better and better until one day a great self shave is second nature to you. Make sure your straight is a good quality one.

Is their anyone here who has had good experiences with a high end shop that practices straight razor shaving?

Last edited:
I don't think "Chinese blade sharpeners" is a neighborhood that I want to go. However, I am intrigued. I'm an old dog too and still have my Gillette Adjustable I purchased about 60 years ago. Over the years as it appears you also may have done I obsessed buying vintage DE's on eBay and have a respectable inventory which I wouldn't credit as a collection. So I enjoy this forum and the opportunity to share with individuals like yourself.
Haha jbib - got ya - I`m gonna get a Chinese blade sharpener just for the hell of it because my cousin who lives in Guangzhou, emailed me and said that he gets twice as many shaves out of one blade now.
He has never used a cartridge razor even though he is much younger than me.
He is saving up for a house for his Chinese wife and two kids so he is scrimping and saving - god bless him.

Haha jbib - got ya - I`m gonna get a Chinese blade sharpener just for the hell of it because my cousin who lives in Guangzhou, emailed me and said that he gets twice as many shaves out of one blade now.
He has never used a cartridge razor even though he is much younger than me.
He is saving up for a house for his Chinese wife and two kids so he is scrimping and saving - god bless him.
The only thing that probably happen if I used one is I'd cut my fingers!

Back