Benchmade Griptilian history

I can’t figure out how to share a screenshot of the email, but according to the individual that responded to my request, the original steel was 154cm.

My first experience with the design was a Ritter S30V mini that I believe I bought in 2005, after seeing my brother's. Before that, he had a 440C version, perhaps he could chime in and let us know when he got it D Don M .

440C predated 154CM.

I got a mini in 440C in April 2002.
I got a mini Ritter S30V in September 2004 when they first came out.
I got a mini in 154CM in April 2009.

Reactions: DMG
I bought my son a Griptilian a few years ago that is still going strong! It has a black coated blade which I can't seem to find available anymore. I wanted to pick one up for my self in black or maybe stone washed black. Wonder if they will ever be available again?

Bought at BassPro in 2005, for 105.00 people at work gave me shit about that price.
IMG_5153.jpeg
IMG_5154.jpeg
I’ll put a nice edge on it today, it’s just been sitting until I saw this thread.

I bought my son a Griptilian a few years ago that is still going strong! It has a black coated blade which I can't seem to find available anymore. I wanted to pick one up for my self in black or maybe stone washed black. Wonder if they will ever be available again?

We are still making the stonewashed blade with black handles in the 550, 551, 555 and 556 Grip models. No more black blade variants.

Oh good! I do like the stonewashed blades! They also look great with FDE handles!
BHQ has black bladed green handled full and mini Grips, and all black mini Grips at the moment at a nice discount. New old stock they acquired I'm guessing. I couldn't resist a mini and I came very close to snagging another full size.

I have four Griptilians... one Ritter in M390, one in S30V with aftermarket G10 scales, one of the G10 versions in 20-CV and a standard one in S30V. I also got my wife a mini-Ritter in pink but that was confiscated at the airport. Yup...

One of the greatest designs of all, I reckon. It's a pity the Ritter relationship folded as its possibly even better than the standard Grip. That high, almost flat grind... 👌

I have four Griptilians... one Ritter in M390, one in S30V with aftermarket G10 scales, one of the G10 versions in 20-CV and a standard one in S30V. I also got my wife a mini-Ritter in pink but that was confiscated at the airport. Yup...

One of the greatest designs of all, I reckon. It's a pity the Ritter relationship folded as its possibly even better than the standard Grip. That high, almost flat grind... 👌

Including a set of Wilkins scales, yes? Nice 🍻

Including a set of Wilkins scales, yes? Nice 🍻
Yes, Wilkins! One of the first guys to make aftermarket scales if I'm not mistaken. They are very nicely done. A bit thicker than I would like but fills the hand. I actually don't mind the original scales at all. They keep the knife light, which is one of its best qualities.

Yes, Wilkins! One of the first guys to make aftermarket scales if I'm not mistaken. They are very nicely done. A bit thicker than I would like but fills the hand. I actually don't mind the original scales at all. They keep the knife light, which is one of its best qualities.
I could not agree more regarding the original scales, I too like them just the way they are, as they keep the Grip indeed light and well, grippy :)

The Wilkins scales are very sought after these days, it seems folks buy used BM's just for the Wilkins scales when they come up for sale on the world wide web.

I could not agree more regarding the original scales, I too like them just the way they are, as they keep the Grip indeed light and well, grippy :)

The Wilkins scales are very sought after these days, it seems folks buy used BM's just for the Wilkins scales when they come up for sale on the world wide web.
Was not aware of that... they are cool, for sure. Only thing I would like is a slightly thinner scale because the button doesn't stand out quite as much as on the original design. So its a bit trickier to pull back to close the blade.

Back