Besides CPK knives, whaddaya like?

And for me, the big mail call was yesterday :) .... Trying to do the beautiful navman navman drop point justice with my iPhone ...

i-9ZvVj29-X3.jpg

i-MkqjkHg-X3.jpg

i-xMDJSJw-X3.jpg

This was me in my driveway as the etch came in.
A couple weeks ago I tried ferric chloride and it was too strong, turned black instantly, but clouded and streaked the stainless cladding. I redid the finish to a decent mirror and super sharp edge, then etched in straight apple cider vinegar. Took a lot longer, but got there eventually and kept the mirror.
0CBGPnr.gif

GrsoMTQ.jpg

0YuNiiP.jpg

A couple weeks ago I tried ferric chloride and it was too strong, turned black instantly, but clouded and streaked the stainless cladding. I redid the finish to a decent mirror and super sharp edge, then etched in straight apple cider vinegar. Took a lot longer, but got there eventually and kept the mirror.
0CBGPnr.gif

GrsoMTQ.jpg

0YuNiiP.jpg
That looks fantastic, I really can't wait to see it finished!!!!!!

0CBGPnr.gif

GrsoMTQ.jpg

0YuNiiP.jpg

That's amazing. Never seen that combo of mirror finish and dark hamon before.

That's amazing. Never seen that combo of mirror finish and dark hamon before.
Thanks. This is actually San Mai, so no hamon. There is stainless steel (SS) cladding over 1095. The thin 1095 core is completely hardened and the SS cladding doesn't harden. It got forged a little making it uneven enough to create the "activity". The etch darkens the exposed core. I had some San Mai before that was a perfect sandwich and so the line where the cladding ends is perfectly straight and rather boring.

Back