BK-18 Harpoon in use?

I have found myself NOT using my BK-18 Harpoon as it seems “weird.” The blade edge/handle relationship is something Im not use to…

So how many of you are making use of your Harpoons?

Did you have to “get use” to it?

What are you using yours to do?

I’m thinking I may just have to make it a priority to use it when I would normally grab a more familiar knife…

Thoughts?

Thanks!

I think the only odd thing about (besides the harpoon) is that for what is supposed to be a slicer, it is a little lacking in that department for me. Besides that, I think if you use it more and try not to think about the handle and blade edge and use it for whatever you need you will quickly get comfortable with it.

The cutting wdge being “below” the grip line is what gets to me…I think I just have to make it a point to use it more…

I EDC my BK18. I took an old belt, cut 2 pieces off. Punched 4 holes in each, to correspond with slots in stock sheath. I carry it strong arm side, handle forward. I use it all the time. Used it today to cut duct tape and open the foil seal on new oil jugs. It's no different than a firearm. Takes some getting used to it but once you do, you feel naked without it.

I EDC my BK18. I took an old belt, cut 2 pieces off. Punched 4 holes in each, to correspond with slots in stock sheath. I carry it strong arm side, handle forward. I use it all the time. Used it today to cut duct tape and open the foil seal on new oil jugs. It's no different than a firearm. Takes some getting used to it but once you do, you feel naked without it.

*lol*
I suspect the firearm (on your hip) analogy is less relatable than "it's like another knife" analogy to most of us.

My BK-18 was delivered the day before we left for a week long camping trip. I brought it with us. We got to Campgrounds and the very next day the vent plug disappeared from the 5 gallon plastic gas can I brought for the Honda eu2000i. I suspect a critter was the culprit because campsite was just mowed & it was nowhere to be found.

I did not want to drive the 250 miles back home with gas sloshing in the bed of the truck. So I found a dead piece of wood and whitled it into a plug with a handle. It worked great and I am still using it. So my BK-18 saved the day within 3 days of delivery.

I know this thread is a little old, but I need updates.
I have only seen and heard praise about this blade. I really liked her design and I ended up buying one.
I also heard that there are many perfect Chinese copies of it, do you know anything about that?

I like the edge geometry, but didnt gain an affinity for the spine design.

Luckily, the BK-19 came out and its edge is pretty much the same. While the spine is smoother, easier on the eye, and more user friendly. Ive considered multiple times of replacing the BK-16 with the 19 as my main belt fixed blade.

The 18 remains a backup to these.

FALER has one that he ground the “harpoon” off the spine. I seemed to like it very much. Very slicey and not gimmicky. Very, very capable knife. And much more slicey than other models due to the thinner edge.
I’ll probably end up doing the same to mine.

I've been thinking about doing that to mine and maybe dropping the point a touch.

Love mine.
What's not to like about a trailing point knife, of Ethan Becker design, made by KaBar?
In fact, if the BK18 owuld have been out at the time I bought the Becker chef knife, I probably would have just gotten an extra BK 18. Wait, hold it, I did buy an extra BK18. ;)

Back