Blade Forums Special Edition REKAT Sifu arrived today.

I got #12/75 in the stonewash version. The first thing that blew my mind was the sheer size of the folder even when closed. A 5.25 inch blade doesn't sound like that much more than your standard large 4 inch folder.

However, the difference in size becomes obvious when you place it side by side to a regular folder. I pulled out my BM 710 Axis (a large folder in itself) for a comparison, and the Axis looked anorexic...even more so when I opened both knives.

I was a bit disappointed with the lack of designation as a special edition. Sure it has the REKAT symbol and "D-2 Enhanced" written on it. But the other side just says: "SPECIAL EDITION 12/75" in very mundane, "arial" like fonts. Originally, it was suggested that it would say "Blade Forums Special Edition Sifu" or something to that effect. It has no mention of its designer origin on the blade either. It would have been nice if there were stampings of Bob Brothers's, and Mike Turber's signature like the Gerber Applegate/Fairbairn folders.

I do like it's lower mounted sliding lever, over the Benchmade Axis's top mounted sliding disk. The Sifu's lever is much more inconspicuous and blends in aesthetically into the handle. In comparison, the Benchmade's high mounted silver button lever looks like an eyesore.

The Sifu's lever is easier to reach -- at least for me. Unfortunately for you "lefties", it's not ambidextrous as the Axis knives.

The G-10 slabs could be prettier too. If you're anal and look at it closely, you can see machine and grinding marks. But hey, it's G-10. What can you do?

The fit is good: no blade wobble, no rubbing, or chafing on blade openings and closings. Prospective buyers need not worry about those stories you've read about REKAT's dubious fittings. This problem must have affected more of the earlier Sifus.

The blade design -- as on all Sifus -- is a beaut. Is it functional? Depends on your needs, but I'm a traditionalist and I appreciate it's neo-clip point design. However, it isn't traditional in the fact that it has a lot of belly, and a good recurve on it. It looks like a tactical bowie.

The two criticisms about the blade is that, one, it's sharp but not hair-popping sharp out of the box. Now this isn't really a concern since I'm not really using the knife as a daily carry/daily task. But I don't intend on trying to sharpen this D-2 knife either as I don't feel my angle sharper can do a good job. The second dislike is highly subjective: stonewash finish; I don't like it much. I've never seen this finish and went strictly on Sifu pictures. I don't think this finish is very aesthetically pleasing. It looks like raw sheet metal: dull, grey, and full of swirls. It doesn't contrast well against the logo stampings either. Then again, I did learn to get used to bead blast finishes.
redface.gif

The lock is very good in the closed position. Inspite of its big, heavy blade, it is not prone to accidental openings due to its stiff spring which gives it a feel similar to the backspring tension of a lockback. However, the heavy tension makes for a less smoother opening than a BM Axis. Rest assured to those of you who like to show-off by snap opening the blade. Yes, it can be done easily by a thumbstud assisted snap.

The handle. I should really leave this one alone because it's really subjective and some people like "grooves", and some don't. For me, this grooveless model is most comfortable when held at either near the top, or near the bottom. Smack in the middle is a bit constraining and I wish it had more "belly" in the handle there. Once again, merely banal criticism since one is most likely to "choke" up on the handle near the choil when using it for general cutting purposes. From a knife collecting view, it is a very attractive looking handle and will probably have a wider appeal than the grooved handle. Personally -- mind you it's just my own opinion -- the grooved handles kind of make the Sifu look like those "cheesy" knives sold in martial arts magazines alongside nunchakus, and ninja throwing stars. I do understand that the grooves are highly functional but I speak entirely for a design point. The grooveless handles look more modern yet retains good function.

Another feature of the handle is that it, in itself, can be used as a yawara stick for non-lethal self-defense. I hate to imagine the pain that could be inflicted by the pointy butt-end of the Sifu's handle.

To conclude, despite all the various manufacturers making "fighting folders", most of them are probably a figment of marketing. I have to echo Jim March's sentiment in saying that in the Sifu, you have a real fighting folder; arguably the most useful on the market today. It has a strong lock, robust blade, and it's sheer size would overwhelm most manufacturer's so-called fighting folders. Best of all, this special edition model has an up-to-date, sleek design to match its performance.

[This message has been edited by Full Tang Clan (edited 03-31-2001).]

I decided a couple of months ago that my next knife purchse would be a Sifu, but have been undecided whether it would be the SE or not. Food for thought, thanks.

------------------
'Scuse me while I flip this out ...

Hi FTC, glad to hear you finally got your SE Sifu. Nice review. I'm very pleased with my Sifu and might consider buying another with black coated blade if they're still available.
smile.gif

Congrats. I really like my coated SE Sifu. It's my first coated blade since I don't like scratched coatings, and the black blade is too "tactical" for carry (at least in my eyes). Not that these sort of things really matter, but I'm envious that you got a lower number (I have #15/75 of the black blade)
frown.gif

I felt mine was very sharp, but you're right; it's not hair popping sharp. After a few weeks of opening and closing, I noticed that the edge of the blade hits the spacer near the tip of the blade when closed. I can't say that I'm really pleased about that, but it's not something that I'm going to send it back over.

When I hold it side by side with my AFCK, Starmate, or Military, it's easy to see how big this knife is. Despite the size and that I have small hands, it handles very easily except going from forward to reverse grip or vice-versa. I've swung the blade open by releaseing the lock and giving al little swing, but I found that you can't swing hard or the blade just bounces off the stop. I don't open it like that anymore since the stop may wear excessively.

I want another one (non numbered or stonewash so I can abuse it without any guilt).

gm

Hey Guys:
I'd be verrry, verrry careful about the "SIFU BUG". It strikes without warning and people that own other, lesser knives are extremely prone to get it after owning a SIFU. The only known treatment is more SIFU’s.

I myself have resisted the “bug”. I am not now or ever have been infected.
(Pay no attention to the two “first run”, the BFC Black-T’d, The red G-10/black-T’d, the CF laminate, or the one each of the black and stonewashed “slick” handled ones.)

Dwight

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

REGARDING THE BLADE:

The more I look at the Sifu's blade shape, the more I see an uncanny resemblance to a Gurkha knife with its big recurve, and bulbous belly.

I'm interested to know Bob Brothers's reason for selecting this blade design.

The new handle -- with it's slight curving grip -- actually compliments the blade for slashing...say, an orange, or banana.
wink.gif

FTC, yes I know what you mean. The Sifu is closest thing to a folding "khukri" that I have seen.
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by toothed (edited 04-02-2001).]

I got mine (#8/75), and I had some other thoughts...

Super sharp, including the needle point. BUTT

I tucked my Sifu into the slit in my gi pants on my way home from a martial arts class and while reclining on the couch I learned that the knife had opened. It took several minutes to get the knife out of my waist band and secure it. I now only use IWB in tight jeans.

The spring is not that strong and it is very easy to snap open. In fact, several times I have snapped it open and had the blade rebound, refusing to lock. 4 of my friends have cut themselves by releasing the blade with their fingers in its path.

pat

i just orderd a black blade special edition SIFU - will post in a wk or so and let ya know what i think.......

vet

Back