Bring back the Oyabun Fixed blade!!!!

Who thinks Cold Steel/ GSM should bring back the 9” Oyabun fixed blade?

• Yes

• No

• Yes but 7-1/2”

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think the regular rubber/guard handle would be nice enough to reach a price point. I wouldn't mind using the Kyoto tuskamaki style handle mold. It would be a welcomed upgrade. Keeping it 7.5 or 9” would also be easier on the wallet. Although anything longer would certainly be a Cold Steel thing to do.

The guard on the Oyabun and Kobun is not much larger than the one on the Kyoto, and the Kyoto is often sold at around $20.00 and sometimes even less.

My first one was $20.00 and the other four I bought for Christmas presents were around $15.00 each.

The price difference between making a rubber and metal guard would be less than the typical price fluctuation we see in CS knives during a typical year.

I guess. I think it’s easier to get them to make it if they have the existing molds.

Bring both sizes back and give them metal guards like the Kyoto and do the same with the Kobun.

Maybe a 12" Oyabun would be a good idea.
Well.. CS makes something about like that. It's like the Tanto XII or something. I was interested in one for awhile, but then I was like.. I think my Gladius works better for close combat and you can't carry a 12" blade on your belt very well.

I think I saw a 9" Oyabun for sale the other day. But the price was pretty steep. Just not my cup of tea. I like the 7.5" recon tanto.

Well.. CS makes something about like that. It's like the Tanto XII or something. I was interested in one for awhile, but then I was like.. I think my Gladius works better for close combat and you can't carry a 12" blade on your belt very well.

I think I saw a 9" Oyabun for sale the other day. But the price was pretty steep. Just not my cup of tea. I like the 7.5" recon tanto.
The Oyabun of old was comparable to the Kobun in price range. It would be a no frills workhorse. The Lite series is the closest thing to that concept currently.

What do you say GSM? Start working on dusting off an affordable tanto option you already have in your pocket?

Last edited:
The Oyabun of old was comparable to the Kobun in price range. It would be a no frills workhorse. The Lite series is the closest thing to that concept currently.

What do you say GSM? Start working on dusting off an affordable tanto option you already have in your pocket?
So you're saying the blade was thinner than the Recon? I didn't really look at the pictures close enough to notice, and never owned one. That sounds cool though. I really like the Kobun for it's light weight and utility.

The Kobun is similar to the Tanto/Master Tanto in length but it is much flatter and lighter (more concealable,) and intended as a lightweight alternative to the Tanto/Master Tanto as well as a practical alternative to the typical bootknife.

The Oyabun was similar to the Kobun (and I think it might have been a little thicker) but with 7.5" and 9" blades.

I've seen posts at the time they were in production recommending them as lightweight knives for concealed carry.

A 12" version wouldn't really be similar to the Magnum Tanto XII anymore than the other Oyabuns are similar to the Magnum Tanto II and Magnum Tanto IX.

The main problem I see with bringing back the Oyabun is that if they don't price them significantly lower than the Magnum Tanto series there really wouldn't be a reason for non-collectors to buy them.

A good price range for the Oyabuns would be slightly less than the OSS for the 7.5, about the same as the Marauder for the 9 and slightly more than the Maruader for the 12. This is considering that they'd be made from the same materials and probably with a little less steel than the models I mentioned plus being simpler to make than the models I listed. I also was just thinking of the size, not thickness.

I couldn't vote twice, but I wouldn't mind a 7.5 and 9 inch version......

not if they are gonna be top dollar though. I'd want aus8, Taiwan made and value.....I know that's askin alot in the gsm era.......

Back