Bringing Back the Brown in Brown Micarta ?

I recently took some sandpaper to Brown Canvas Micarta Scales. After this the sanded areas appear tan/yellow. Is there a way to make these areas brown again ??
Alex

Alex,buffing will usually bring back the original color.If that is not an option,or you want the rougher finish,wipe on some Watco Danish oil,let it set for 25 min.,then wipe off.It has worked for me anyway.

------------------
MIKE

All Micartas will darken with oil. I want to refinish the Maroon Micarta scales that are on my Rob Simonich Cetan tanto kit knife (boy, he ahsn't made THOSE for a long time!) but the thing that is stopping me is the beautiful color the scales have from all the built up oils from being handled so much.

I have some "natural" canvas Micarta that is a honey color, but turns a nice brown when I wipe some olive oil into the handle. Any oil will probably do. Let it soak in a bit, maybe add a few coats, then wipe dry. This also works great on any other color of Micarta. Turns maroon a nice deep, almost black color. The nice thing is that it can be removed with a vigorous washing or light sanding.

------------------
Dr. Steve Agocs
http://www.geocities.com/Chiro75/frames.html

agocs_s@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by Chiro75 (edited 04-22-2001).]

Hey Alex,Where you wanting the scales to be ruffed up some ? If so the oil will work for awhile but you will have to do it everytime you oil the blade (if it is carbon steel) A little wax will help also_Otherwise sand it down to as fine a grit paper as you can get then buff it with some semi Chrome or any other polishing cream like that and then clean with some oil and then wax it and you should be good to go,It will darken over time from your hand rubbing on the handle as you play with it.
Hope this helps some,
Bruce

------------------
Bruce Evans Handcrafted Knives
The soul of the Knife begins in the Fire!!!!!
Member of,AKTI#A000223 and The American Bladesmith Society
asmallpicofbruceforforums.jpg

Back