buck 105 vs Svord general utility shapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbach8tw

Platinum Member
I was wondering if anyone has ever compared the shapes of a Buck 105 to Svord general utility that has a 4.75 in blade, not the 6.5 inch blade. The shape in overall utility I guess, I also know the standard BUCK 420HC to the Svord’s Swedish steel is comparing apples to oranges, but how do the steels affect the overall performance in doing a task. Do the different types of steel add or hinder their use? Just curious if anyone has thought about the similarities and differences between the two. Thanks for any comments.IMG_0688.jpegIMG_0689.jpeg

Last edited:
I was wondering if anyone has ever compared the shapes of a Buck 105 to Svord general utility that has a 4.75 in blade, not the 6.5 inch blade. The shape in overall utility I guess, I also know the standard BUCK 420HC to the Svord’s Swedish steel is comparing apples to oranges, but how do the steels affect the overall performance in doing a task. Do the different types of steel add or hinder their use? Just curious if anyone has thought about theun similarities and differences between the two. Thanks for any comments.
Good post.

I would contrast them in the Buck's presence of a finger guard and the Svord's slight resemblance to a boning knife. In both cases, the profiles are great for general tasks. Woodcraft and small game processing are probably a snap with these two blades. In my own experience, the finger guard of the Buck is a bit in the way (which is why I prefer a puukko) and the finger swell (while also an obstruction) on the handle of the Svord would give me the protection from running up on the blade if I needed to pierce a leg joint or drill a hole in wood but a softer feel in the hand.

There is also the full tang of the Svord if you wanted to really wallop on it. The Buck has a stick tang, but one which has been tested by woodsfolk and yahoos like me and not found wanting.

I think the deciding factors will be the feel in the hand, thickness of blade, and the edge grind (which the user can alter).

Perhaps I might say that to make the Buck perfect for me I would grind the finger guard away, but that would be pretty draconian and would violate the whole point of the design.

Zieg

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts, I also happened to think that the Svord is a convex blade and the Buck is a hollow ground blade. Didn’t think of that until just now.

Thanks for your thoughts, I also happened to think that the Svord is a convex blade and the Buck is a hollow ground blade. Didn’t think of that until just now.
By long standing design tradition, Buck is definitely hollow ground, and lots of bushcrafters have disliked this (not me, but YouTube is full of them). I have never used a hollow ground blade for carving meat in the kitchen, but I have used a Buck for processing small game. I would not prefer a hollow ground blade for trimming a roast or carving a turkey, but it's not like I was complaining about it in the field with game. And if you're doing light batoning for kindling at the campfire, you're not going to have major problems with either knife, although the saber grind will certainly do a slightly better job.

As for cutting vegetables, neither of these will excel regardless of the grind as your knuckles will smack the cutting surface before the blade gets through.

I'd like to see these knives go after cardboard boxes, baling twine, small bits of wood. If the squared edges of the Svord created hot spots in the hand, I could see sandpaper fixing the problem.

Obviously we need to buy both these knives and do the testing for year in the bush (each!) 😸

Zieg

By long standing design tradition, Buck is definitely hollow ground, and lots of bushcrafters have disliked this (not me, but YouTube is full of them). I have never used a hollow ground blade for carving meat in the kitchen, but I have used a Buck for processing small game. I would not prefer a hollow ground blade for trimming a roast or carving a turkey, but it's not like I was complaining about it in the field with game. And if you're doing light batoning for kindling at the campfire, you're not going to have major problems with either knife, although the saber grind will certainly do a slightly better job.

As for cutting vegetables, neither of these will excel regardless of the grind as your knuckles will smack the cutting surface before the blade gets through.

I'd like to see these knives go after cardboard boxes, baling twine, small bits of wood. If the squared edges of the Svord created hot spots in the hand, I could see sandpaper fixing the problem.

Obviously we need to buy both these knives and do the testing for year in the bush (each!) 😸

Zieg
Very good thoughts, my use would be more basic chores like box cutting and kitchen duty, Keep the ideas coming.

The latest model of Svord ugp has a different shaped handle.
SVUGP.1.jpg

The latest model of Svord ugp has a different shaped handle.
SVUGP.1.jpg
Love this, but I am surprised at its price. It seems a little high. Then again, I am surprised the Buck has gone up to 150-some, as well. I guess I'm getting old 😲.

Zieg

Last edited:
I just checked the price of the Svord Utility General Knife. No, thank you at that price.
Not at that price, but luckily I found the basic one without the fancy wood or shaped handle for about 70.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back