Buck 212 and modified 103 picture thread.

eveled

Gold Member
I really wanted a modified 103, (like DM’s) it seemed like it would be a perfect EDC. I never found a good deal on a used one to modify so when the 212 was released I was all over it.

Here is a comparison shot. They are similar sized. I like the plunge line better on the 103 it has a higher blade grind and it comes with a better sheath. But the 212 has that really beautiful top grind. (Even though it isn’t really clipped or dropped). The point is pretty much in line with the spine on both knives.

view

David Martin’s knife.

view

I dislike the plunge line on the 212,
view

So I add a generous sharpening choil which ends up being perfect ferro rod striker

view

view

So with a few tweaks the 212 has become the only knife to displace a 110 from my belt for any length of time. It really is a great knife.

My modified jigged buffalo horn 1of 13
W-2 takes a wonderful patina.
view

view

Some cherrywood

view

The Lucite one is very similar to and older knife Buck made in the early days. Note the single layer guard and no spacers at the pommel.

view

I was going to carry the Cherrywood ones, but ended up with 3 of these.

view

D-2 and Micarta, these are perfect users. No frills all business.

Last edited:
THE SHEATHS:

The factory sheaths for these are horrible actually unusable for someone with love handles.

Unusable for me

view

Moved the keeper. Marginally better

view

Ordered a beautiful custom sheath from a famous maker in the Pacific Northwest

view

But it just wasn’t quite right. Sat too low. Hard to pull the knife out. What to do?

Maybe it fits in a 103 sheath!? Nope too sloppy. No go.

Hey you know what is perfect? A sheath for a CAPER!

view

But it has to be the new style that came with very few knives and is unavailable to buy separately. 😞 😢

Final best solution I’ve been using that I absolutely love to use? Sits nice and high. Dirt cheap modified original sheath

view

I used rivets I already had as a test

Here you can see how it looks better with matching rivets.
view

Last edited:
Great post!
I like your Buffalo W2 and the patina it has. Many folks would have kept that in a box. 👍

My favorite 212's include these 2.
The SK Blades D2 w/ micarta, and the limited knife with elk and other goodies on the handle w/ W2 steel.

I've never been a fan of the 212 sheath and I was fortunate to obtain these from Mak while he was still around. It is amazing how a sheath can influence your opinions of a knife.compressed_img_1711201891111.jpg
I compressed this image down to 250kb. a bit grainy if your on a laptop.... sorry.
Sorta playing with conservative image posting from here on.

✌️

Last edited:
He put it on the front per my request. He makes really nice sheaths.

Most of these pictures had been posted numerous times in different places over the years. I was cleaning up my attachments and ended up with 30 open pages of pictures of 212’s. So I figured it was a good start to a thread.

Apologies for all the recycled content.

Great post!
I like your Buffalo W2 and the patina it has. Many folks would have kept that in a box. 👍

My favorite 212's include these 2.
The SK Blades D2 w/ micarta, and the limited knife with elk and other goodies on the handle w/ W2 steel.

✌️
Thanks. I probably should have kept it pristine. But there is no fun in that! At the time it was my only 212 and I bought it to use. I also think it turned out great. No regrets. It has a nice flatness to it that makes it wonderful to use. It really is a shame if the other 12 don’t get used.

Your elk tapers a lot more than mine. They were all different. All beautiful but different. I think they had a box of small pieces of elk antlers and were using them up. 😂. I’m glad they did.

Anyone else have pictures of 212’s? Keep trying B BennyBlade !

Last edited:
THE SHEATHS:

The factory sheaths for these are horrible actually unusable for someone with love handles.

Unusable for me

view

Moved the keeper. Marginally better

view

Ordered a beautiful custom sheath from a famous maker in the Pacific Northwest

view

But it just wasn’t quite right. Sat too low. Hard to pull the knife out. What to do?

Maybe it fits in a 103 sheath!? Nope too sloppy. No go.

Hey you know what is perfect? A sheath for a CAPER!

view

But it has to be the new style that came with very few knives and is unavailable to buy separately. 😞 😢

Final best solution I’ve been using that I absolutely love to use? Sits nice and high. Dirt cheap modified original sheath

view

I used rivets I already had as a test
view

Here you can see how it looks better with matching rivets.
view
I like how ya got the jeans ready to go with gear set up. great idear to save time and not forget anything when in a rush to get out the door quick....

Back