Buck 639 field mate vs Nighthawk for kayak knife

austin37

Gold Member
Which would be a better knife for putting on a kayaking vest? Does a better knife for this intended purpose exist from Buck or another maker one would suggest? Kayaking in Florida

Mostly fresh , possibly some brackish
420hc and 425m will do fine if ya rise and dry after using. if your going salt I'd go for something with much more and really good corrosion resistant like magnacut or lc200n or h2, etc.

I wouldn't use the 639 as water will get in the rubber and rust it inside. I also wouldn't use the nighthawk as same potential issue. of those two choices, the nighthawk.

I'd consider something cheap like a mora mentioned or something with removable scales for good rinsing and drying. also kydex or plastic sheath.

Last edited:
My canoe knife is usually a 112. pretty versatile, while not taking up the space of a fixed blade. Cuts cheese, line, rope, weeds and will gut a fish...What are you using it for?

I would suggest one of the old or new PakLite knives. The new ones come with a plastic sheath and the handles are removable. If you are kayaking in Florida, the knife should not be getting wet that often. Maybe a few paddle drips here and there, but it should not be getting submerged on a regular basis. If you get something like the 639 or 655, I would suggest putting it in a dry bag where you can easily access it. I wouldn't expose a knife like that to water.

In my experience, nothing stays dry in the 'yak, no matter how hard you try.
So with that in mind, look for something that wont mind being wet, and make a choice accordingly.
I carry a Spyderco Salt with H1 steel on my lifejacket when on the brine. No issues at all.

I would use a Boye Folding knife. A dedicated boating knife that will never rust, as it is made from cobalt and titanium. It is also non-magnetic, so it won't affect a compass. I have one, and like it, though I haven't been boating in years (crazy, I know). They are expensive, though. They also make a fixed blade version, if that is your preference.

Oh, I forgot to add that I also have a 639 Fieldmate. Bought it new around 1988, when I was in the Navy. But it is a closet knife and I've never used it. I would choose the Boye knife first, for real world use.

In my mind I would want something that Floats!! 🤔🫣🤔
John 😁
8og6ka.jpg

Back