Camillus Made BUCK Knife-Model #301

CAMCO

mbjannusch,
Here is the S-Card #2389 for the Buck #301 Stockman knife made by Camillus in 1969. The first order (#6778) is for 12,000 knives and is dated 2-14-69. This illustration is to be used solely on BladeForums and can not be reproduced without my written permission.

Tom Williams

p.s. A special Thank You to my brother Rick for helping me post this information.

Attachments

• Buck #301.jpg
    Buck #301.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 111
  • Buck #301 R.jpg
    Buck #301 R.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 76
Very good history information, Tom. Always good to get this type of information to answer questions on this and the Buck forum. With all the different knives made for other people when did you have time to make Camillus knives?

edbeau,
Camillus made knives for just about everyone. It was interesting to see so many brands and patterns in the factory. I would try to go into the factory every day to see what was new. I invited the owner (I think his name was George Smith) of the "Winchester" brand to Camillus in 1988 to try to get their business. Nothing developed as a result of that meeting and we did not get the Winchester business. Fifteen years later in 2003 I was going through the factory and much to my surprise there were Winchester knives in production.
Tom Williams

. Fifteen years later in 2003 I was going through the factory and much to my surprise there were Winchester knives in production.
Tom Williams

Camillus made both the 301 and 311 models for Buck with a Winchester shields. They are a bit hard to come by, but show up at auction once or twice a year. I have both and could post pics if any one is interested. Well here is the 301, I didn't have to look too hard.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Specially for 300Bucks :)
0_aab9d_460d48ad_XL.jpg

Last edited:
Again, very nice picture. Will always think that this blade 'nic' will never be beat.

I glanced at my Camillus-made Buck 301 today and realized something looks odd. The center pin is brass, not nickel silver or stainless. Does anyone have thoughts about this? Thanks.

I glanced at my Camillus-made Buck 301 today and realized something looks odd. The center pin is brass, not nickel silver or stainless. Does anyone have thoughts about this?

The change from a brass spring rivet to one of stainless steel was done in about 1992, well after the Camillus made 301s.

Bert

Last edited:
The change from a brass or nickel silver spring rivet to one of stainless steel was done in about 1992, well after the Camillus made 301s.

Bert
Thank you Bert. After posting, I looked at some additional images and noticed that there were other 701s with brass pins. I didn’t post again because I wasn’t sure anybody was paying attention to something this old. (But I’m glad you were). I’m assuming that the stainless would have been stronger than the brass but that, in general terms of the knife’s function and longevity, it doesn’t make much difference.

Back