Camillus Riders of the Silver Screen

Sorry for the confusion...I was trying to send a message to Tom Wiliams, but if anyone else has any info on the "Riders of the Silver Screen " Camillus set I would greatly appreciate it-thanks

My parents have a set of the Camillus "Riders of the Silver Screen" knife series that are displayed under glass with a matted promotional poster. The knifes are displayed identical to the promotional poster. The guy my dad bought the set from, said he got it from an estate and thought that it was made for someone that worked for the company. I would appreciate it if you knew the current value of these knifes and would like any info that you might have on them. thanks -Mike -Ironhesh@hotmail.com or ironhesh@yahoo.com

There has been one on fleabay for months, seller is asking $900 with no bites!
I think there were probably only 10 or less made as framed sets by SMKW.
I wonder how many of the handles are cracked by now?

The Riders of the Silver Screen knives were offered from 1991 through 1994. Eleven models were in this series.
Camillus had the framed set with the Sherwood poster hanging in the conference room for many years.
As Phil mentioned there was also one offered for sale on Ebay. I contacted the seller who stated that their set was originally displayed in a store.

Tom Williams

Yeah, Phil, what was it with those cracked handles, anyway? I've seen lots of them. Too many to think these slipped by quality control and I beleive Camillus XXed out their name on knives sold as seconds. Or did they even sell seconds?

Something in the modern clear celluloid used on the handles that makes them crack with age? Anyway, the knife is a nice, large, sturdy one, makes a terrific and eye catching user. Can you or CAMCO tell me the Camillus pattern number for these?

Thanks

Dale Evans (#8006)

0_a3c6e_cfb64457_XL.jpg

0_a3c6f_1f5ac263_XL.jpg

0_a3c70_2417d20f_XL.jpg

Last edited:
The pattern was a 5787. The lexan handles were a true pain to work with. I remember experiments being done taking an assembled handle that wasn't cracked and setting it aside and coming back a week later and it being cracked at the rivets. The cracked handled knives - like most of Camillus' seconds - were sold to SMKW. The seconds were "X'd" out. I suppose those cracks couls have been from time and not sold that way. Phil or Tom can probably expand on this info.

I, as a youth in the 1940's and early 1950's, was a Roy Rogers fan and purchased that version from SMKW and kept it bnib. Ca.1990, a woman with whom I worked offered to have her father send it to Roy's son Dusty to have Roy (then in his 80's) autograph the box and the father did just that. I knew him and believed it was very likely that he did, indeed, have access to Dusty. The box came back with a clear autograph. Of course, short of hiring a graphologist, there was no way of proving that it was actually Roy's autograph. In any case, during one of my periodic spurts of house cleaning I probably traded it to Steve Condie or sold it to Larry Becker. Perhaps someone on this forum currently has it!

Back