Camillus TL-29 For Tom Williams, moderator, et al

Is this Korean War era? Brass...3 line?
Black scales, 1 or 2 rivits? Is it even GI?
tl29001.jpg

tl29002.jpg

tl29004.jpg

tl29005.jpg

tl29006.jpg

This is a recently made Electrician's knife (#57 pattern). The tang stamp "CamilluS" was first used around 1989. The handles feature stud construction that was introduced in the early 1970's. This knife was most likely made for the U.S. Government and Camillus made approximately 10,000,000 Electrician's knives (second largest production item). U.S. Government knives usually do not have a model number stamped on the blade. One of my first jobs at Camillus was packing military knives. Each master carton held 12 one dozen boxes. After packing the knives in the master carton two steel bands were wrapped around the outside. Then the master cartons were loaded onto a wooden pallet and shipped to one of the numerous distribution centers.
Tom Williams

@ Tom: your experience is priceless. Thanks for sharing.

@ Codfather: I bet your son would love the knife. If you don't mind, how did you come across an electrician knife in such exceptionally good condition? Looks unused. A bit of factory oil appears to remain on the screwdriver blade. Since the factory closed, I've done my share of searching for electrician knives in unused condition but only got lucky (grabbed a bunch at a decent price) a couple of times.

I walked into it for 30.00 at a Clinton, CT antiques shop, I know its new..My son sent me home a brand new 1991 dated all metal U.S. marked multi blade folder, from his deployment kit..

This knife was most likely made for the U.S. Government and Camillus made approximately 10,000,000 Electrician's knives (second largest production item).
This amount includes only the government supplies, or civilian too?
What was the first largest production item?

Vit_213,
The 10,000,00 Electrician's knives would include both military and civilian models (like #27 and #229). The government knives would be the larger portion of the total.

The model #S1760 4 blade SS utility knife (#5693 pattern) would be largest production item for Camillus. They were used in every military action since the Korean Conflict.

Tom Williams

Vit_213,
Camillus made approximately 12,000,000 model #S1760 stainless steel knives since 1949. In addition to the knives stamped "U.S", models were made with the handles stamped: "U.S.A.F", "U.S.N." and "U.S.M.C.". A version without any handle stamping was made for Canada.

Tom Williams

Vit_213,
Camillus made approximately 12,000,000 model #S1760 stainless steel knives since 1949. In addition to the knives stamped "U.S", models were made with the handles stamped: "U.S.A.F", "U.S.N." and "U.S.M.C.". A version without any handle stamping was made for Canada.

Tom Williams
Hey Tom do you still have access to backsprings and pin for the #S1760 4blade us knife?? Please

Hey Tom do you still have access to backsprings and pin for the #S1760 4blade us knife?? Please
I believe that Tom is, very sadly, no longer with us. I wish I were wrong about that and would welcome any correction.

I believe that Tom is, very sadly, no longer with us. I wish I were wrong about that and would welcome any correction.
August 22, 2014 Thomas J. Williams has passed away. He worked at Camillus Cutlery for over 30 years (1974-2005), ending his career as a historian of the company.
Tom was a huge source of knowledge about the Camillus Cutlery and just a good man.
R.I.P.

Back