Carrying a traditional in Ireland

hornetguy

Gold Member
We are about to go to Ireland for about 3 weeks, and I read somewhere that carrying a pocket knife is not allowed.... that doesn't seem right to me, so I thought I'd ask any of our UK folks what to expect? Do I have to go for 3 weeks without a pocketknife? Or are there just restrictions on blade length, etc....?

When we went to England and Scotland about 15 years ago, I carried pocketknives with no issues.... I realize laws change, so I figured you guys could clarify for me....

Thanks ahead of time....

I’m no expert, and I have never been to Ireland, so this is in no way legal advice, but here’s what I’ve gathered from a bit of quick research:

First, remember that Ireland is not part of the United Kingdom. So the laws are not the same.

In the UK, you can carry any non-locking pocket knife with a blade less than 3 inches without having to have a valid reason for carrying it.

From what I could find, you cannot carry any knife in Ireland unless you have a valid reason for doing so. I don’t believe there’s a list of valid reasons, so if you ever found yourself having to explain to a law enforcement officer your reason for carrying one, I think it would be up to the discretion of the officer whether that reason for carrying one is valid or not.

Personally, if it were me, I would probably carry something excessively tame, like a SAK, and be sure to behave myself. 😉 But again — not legal advice.

Hope you have a great time!

Both Eire - the Republic of Ireland and England & Wales/Northern Ireland have this ambiguity about carrying a knife 'without a valid reason ' it seems. A valid reason for a small pocket-knife, particularly when travelling is to cut items of food I'd say. A lot depends on demeanour I suspect, don't go flashing it about in public for no reason and I'm sure all will be well. Take a small replaceable knife with you- slim SAK, small Opinel, CASE Sodbuster. I think they might be difficult & expensive to obtain when in Ireland.

If I ever visit Britain again, very unlikely...I'd say, truthfully, I'm a gardener and horticultarilst and like to take cuttings -or I'm planning on visiting a garden or allotment....that could be theft though ;) :D

Don’t bother.

FIREARMS AND OFFENSIVE WEAPONS ACT, 1990:

9.—(1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3), where a person has with him in any public place any knife or any other article which has a blade or which is sharply pointed, he shall be guilty of an offence.

(2) It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1) to prove that he had good reason or lawful authority for having the article with him in a public place.

(3) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (2), it shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1) to prove that he had the article with him for use at work or for a recreational purpose.

Sometimes there are exceptions for non lockable folding knives under a certain size or blade style

Classic SD shouldn’t cause any psychosis. Deploy tactical scissors in dire emergency in public.

I am gob smacked I had no idea about the law there,I have researched it for you..

First understand NI is part of the UK the Republic of Ireland is a separate country with its own laws.

My advice dont carry anything unless camping or working, not even the smallest SAK, watch the video its very clear.

He says it clear a SAK to peel an apple will get you in trouble.

I thought it was getting oppressive in England this just seems crazy even a pointed stick can land you in trouble.

I am gob smacked I had no idea about the law there,I have researched it for you..

First understand NI is part of the UK the Republic of Ireland is a separate country with its own laws.

My advice dont carry anything unless camping or working, not even the smallest SAK, watch the video its very clear.

He says it clear a SAK to peel an apple will get you in trouble.

I thought it was getting oppressive in England this just seems crazy even a pointed stick can land you in trouble.

Thank you for this.... it is much like what I saw in my goober search... that's why I wanted other folks' opinion, to verify whether it's really that restrictive.... apparently it is.

Guess that's what becomes of being subjects, instead of citizens. ... the US is headed that way politically, as well, I'm afraid...

European knife laws are draconian.

I’ve been to Ireland a number of times though not very recently. I have been to Italy in the last couple years. The laws are much the same all throughout Europe. Still, I packed a small knife roll in my checked luggage without issue. Kitchen knives. Once in country I would carry a folder and use it discreetly. I never had a problem.

On other European vacations I would buy an Opinel or something similar at a street fair once in country. Every town has one.

Thank you for this.... it is much like what I saw in my goober search... that's why I wanted other folks' opinion, to verify whether it's really that restrictive.... apparently it is.

Guess that's what becomes of being subjects, instead of citizens. ... the US is headed that way politically, as well, I'm afraid...
Its not just the laws its the police getting it wrong as well.

I am being even more careful recently in England with some stupidity ive seen.

European knife laws are draconian.

I’ve been to Ireland a number of times though not very recently. I have been to Italy in the last couple years. The laws are much the same all throughout Europe. Still, I packed a small knife roll in my checked luggage without issue. Kitchen knives. Once in country I would carry a folder and use it discreetly. I never had a problem.
This is always the wrong advice, its like people who say I dont wear a seatbelt and ive never had a crash.

You can have a problem and you can have a crash.

Did you watch the video? they arent even allowed to sharpen a knife without falling fould of the law.

Back